MAC 1900, 1700 any good?

Yggdrasill

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Someone local to me is selling these two models on Craigslist. He's asking $300 for the 1900 and $275 for the 1700, claims that they both are in great shape.

Has anyone heard these units, know anything about their strengths/weaknesses, reliability, etc.? Do these units have main in/pre outs?

Are these reasonable prices for these units? They seem similarly priced to higher end Marantz, Sansui, Pioneeer receivers of the same era. I'm familiar with vintage units of those brands but not with Mcintosh.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Thor

The McIntosh gear is in my opinion better built and sounding gear than the others you mentioned. I am biased though, as I have a 1900. Prices, I dunno, they seem reasonable enough to me.

I own a 1900 and love it. Listening to it right now on some Klipsch Heresy's and it's a great combination.

Someone local to me is selling these two models on Craigslist. He's asking $300 for the 1900 and $275 for the 1700, claims that they both are in great shape.

Has anyone heard these units, know anything about their strengths/weaknesses, reliability, etc.? Do these units have main in/pre outs?

Are these reasonable prices for these units? They seem similarly priced to higher end Marantz, Sansui, Pioneeer receivers of the same era. I'm familiar with vintage units of those brands but not with Mcintosh.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Thor

Now that I got to looking....those are from the guy that lists things on CL out of north Arkansas isn't it? He hardly ever posts new pictures so it's good to see them up! I would throw a lower $ at him myself.

mac receivers are awesome imo. i have a mac4100 and it beats my pioneer, yamaha's and sansui's pretty handily. the sound is terrific, the build quality is great. if i wasn't up to my ears in stereos, i'd own both 1700 and 1900...

Hi,

The MAC 1900 is the superior of the 2. McIntosh made them from 1974-1980. Sold for $979 new. 55 Watts per channel. Excellent tuner section, the AM is also superb. The last 1900 receivers had an impedance switch. The 1900 is very reliable in daily service. Mine gets 2-6 hours a day use. It's very nice sounding. My 1900 has had a tuner/multiplex alignment and 1 electrolytic replaced right when I got it. Terry DeWick performed this repair for me. I have no regrets about owning this unit. It gives constant pleasure. The MAC 1700 is only recommended if you purchase one from Audio Classics or Terry DeWick. They are prone to tuner issues as well as capacitor replacement. This unit can be pricey to repair. The 1700 is 35 Watts per channel.

Hi,

The MAC 1900 is the superior of the 2. McIntosh made them from 1974-1980. Sold for $979 new. 55 Watts per channel. Excellent tuner section, the AM is also superb. The last 1900 receivers had an impedance switch. The 1900 is very reliable in daily service. Mine gets 2-6 hours a day use. It's very nice sounding. My 1900 has had a tuner/multiplex alignment and 1 electrolytic replaced right when I got it. Terry DeWick performed this repair for me. I have no regrets about owning this unit. It gives constant pleasure. The MAC 1700 is only recommended if you purchase one from Audio Classics or Terry DeWick. They are prone to tuner issues as well as capacitor replacement. This unit can be pricey to repair. The 1700 is 35 Watts per channel.

Ditto my 1900 and Terry DeWick:thmbsp:

I think the 1700 is 40 watts.
I have had mine working for circa 35 years.
I love it.

PS
My Mcintosh 2275 went in for repair in 1 year.

I have one of each and love them both. At that price, run, don't walk, to get them first. If you don't like them, you most likely can make a profit selling them, provided that they are in good condition.

Having both, I really don't have a favorite. The 1900 is more powerful and has more inputs along with an AM & FM tuner. Warning the early units, don't like 4 ohm loads. Newer units have a switch on the back to allow 4 ohm loads. The 1700 has less power but has a superb tube FM tuner.

Either one will blow you away! Go get em.........

Clyde

Hi i own a mac 1900 i would like to point out a few flaws in the 1900.It is prone to haveing bad volume controls.There is no fix for this mac no longer sells the part.The part they did sell was not as good as the original.Check out the rear where the jumpers are.On my unit if they get moved a little you get a different volume level on one side.The push buttons also can go bad sometimes if mine is not just right it will sound funny untill i set the button just right.All this being true its a wonderful unit.Mine is a bit tempermental but i would never sell it.I too use it with a klipsch heresy II and i find this combo to be truely wonderful.i have used it with other speakers too and always found it pleaseing.300 for a good working unit is very fair.Good luck

I have a 1700 (along with a 1500 and a 4300V). I have heard the 1900. I agree that they are both great units. If I were choosing I would weigh features (in the 1900's favor) against FM tuner quality (in the 1700's favor). I like the looks of the 1700 better, too. I bought mine on A'Gon and sent it right off to AudioClassics. It has hummed along beautifully ever since. If you listen to a good classical FM station, the 1700 is the choice, IMHO.

You Get More

"...The McIntosh MAC1900 is the best Stereo Receiver because...

- you get more pure pleasure
- you get more value
- you get more protection from service costs
- you get more electronic protection
- you get more real power
- you get more useful flexibility
- you get more results from new technology..."

So, there ya go.

Attachments

• 1900a.jpg
    1900a.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 325
Hi,

Thanks for posting that brochure. Love it. The 1700 is a fine receiver but you are going to have switches which had issues on occasion, the FM Multiplex section can get finicky and the FM section and are expensive to repair. If you want a 1700, buy a refurbished one from Terry DeWick. In the long run, it will be less expensive and perform as it should. a 1900 has easier parts availability, more power, a more reliable tuner and MPX section, superior sound quality and that effortless McIntosh classic sound to a finer degree.

Back
Top Bottom