Dynaco ST-400

Just curious, why do you want new meters? Do the old ones not work or are damaged? Or do you just want to change the looks?

If they don't work, you have a problem in the meter circuit within the amplifier.

If you want to just change them out, I don't know anywhere offhand, but happy hunting!

I am considering one on CL and the owner says one meter sticks and the other doesnt work. I'm trying to figure out if this is an expensive repair. Any ideas?
Thanks for your reply about the meter circuit.

I am considering one on CL and the owner says one meter sticks and the other doesnt work. I'm trying to figure out if this is an expensive repair. Any ideas?
Thanks for your reply about the meter circuit.
You're still pretty vague about the problem. I ran a full boat ST-400(meter & fan kit) for years and am very familiar with it's gut's. Do you already have the meter option, or looking to upgrade. Sometimes you can purchase a similar size meter with the same electrical characteristics and swap the movement over. If not that kind of DIY, visit a local test equipment/panel meter repair place and they'll fix you up. Have no idea of the cost, But maybe the only choice.

Dear Renzor, I dont own the unit but am interested in buying it. It is currently equipped with the meter option but apparently they are not working properly. One is dead and the other "sticks", according to the current owner. I am interested in your speculation about the cost of such a repair, realizing you have very limited info to go on, and if at $200, this represents a fair price. Also, I'm interested in your general impressions about the sound quality and build quality of the ST-400.
Thanks!

$200 is a heck of a price for a functioning ST-400, especially with meters. I'd guess about $50 or $60 for meter service, if removed from unit. The unit always got good reviews and thought it sounded pretty good. Mine was very reliable and quite the work horse, except the output transistors tended to go over time, especially when loaded with low impedance modern speakers. I went through this a couple times and no job for amatures, as you need to tear a lot apart to get at them. I later converted the output to the beefier 16 transistor set up used in the newer 416. Talk about a job. Not going through that again.

$200 is a heck of a price for a functioning ST-400, especially with meters. I'd guess about $50 or $60 for meter service, if removed from unit. The unit always got good reviews and thought it sounded pretty good. Mine was very reliable and quite the work horse, except the output transistors tended to go over time, especially when loaded with low impedance modern speakers. I went through this a couple times and no job for amatures, as you need to tear a lot apart to get at them. I later converted the output to the beefier 16 transistor set up used in the newer 416. Talk about a job. Not going through that again.
Wow wonder if you drilled holes in the heat sink to make this happen.

Back
Top Bottom