Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

ecandle

There's hope for you yet Russell
Subscriber
klama2006 and I were thinking of a Bike thread , here is a bike I recently restored , a 1970s Centurion road bike , Please post your bike projects here and we can talk about , well bikes ... Post your bike anyway even if its not a project , let's find out who the cycle nuts are here on AK :scratch2:
P1000950.jpg
[/IMG],
P1000938.jpg
P1000943.jpg
P1000939.jpg
P1000948.jpg
P1000944.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, my pictures aren't as nice as yours but the first one is a '71 Schwinn Road Racing Paramount repainted at the Waterford plant and completed with NOS parts picked up in the early days of the internet.

paramount.jpg

This one is the bike I grew up riding. A 1963 kick back 2 speed Schwinn Typhoon (slightly modified).

Schwinn.jpg

My dad bought 2 typhoons at the junk yard when I grew out of my Stingray (wish I still had the wheelie machine...) and I cobbled together one working bike out of the two. I've still got the second one and plan on putting it back together like original someday.

Back in the day.......(about 10 Years ago) This was my amateur race bike. It was setup a little different back then. I usually ride it today with traditional mtb tires.

Last edited:
My first MTB was a 930 but it was hardtail, hard front and a great bike to learn how to fall off.

The 930 is my ultimate fit..... I logged more miles on this bike, than any other.....It's my favorite, and longest owned mtb bike. I never get tired of riding this one. I love the steel frame. It's a shame that the steel frames seem to be disappearing, because I believe they offer the nicest ride.

Last edited:
When it comes to fun, this is by far my favorite. It's not fast but it kind of feels like the bicycle equivalent of a tank. It's my 1998 Iditabike Extreme custom ride. Took a couple of iterations to get the chainline right and everything to work properly.

snowbike1.jpg

klama2006 and I were thinking of a Bike thread , here is a bike I recently restored , a 1970s Centurion road bike , Please post your bike projects here and we can talk about , well bikes ... Post your bike anyway even if its not a project , let's find out who the cycle nuts are here on AK :scratch2:
P1000950.jpg
[/IMG],
P1000938.jpg
P1000943.jpg
P1000939.jpg
P1000948.jpg
P1000944.jpg

I love your tire selection. Perfect match for this nice vintage bike.

Last edited:
An orginal stumpjumper. Got the frame on a closout in the seventies and built it up. My coworkers at the bike shop called it an old mans bike. Now I am an old man.

Attachments

• img134.jpg
    img134.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 212
Beautiful Centurion.

Centurion, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. In '79 I bought a Centurion Super Elite, what a beautiful bike, wish I still had it. I believe it had a SunTour rear derailleur. Had a gloss white frame with beautiful lugwork, if not as nice as yours. Great bike, had to sell it unfortunately.

The vintage road bike I ride now is an '87 Schwinn Tempo, also steel, also a sweet ride. I still have the BioPace chainrings for display.

Here is a 80's something Miyata Quick-Cross. The frame was repainted, it was originally a scratched up florescent green color, with flo pink lettering (It was hideous by today's standards) . I used to ride it with drop bars, They were replaced, because I can't comfortably ride that low anymore.

Scuzzer, I always thought about doing something similar to that typhoon. There is a old similarly styled Schwinn laying around in my parents barn somewhere. I'll have to dig it out of there one of these days. Is that using a typical 1" suspension fork, in a traditional Schwinn frame?

Last edited:
Scuzzer, I always thought about doing something similar to that typhoon. There is a old similarly styled Schwinn laying around in my parents barn somewhere. I'll have to dig it out of there one of these days. Is that using a typical 1" suspension fork, in a traditional Schwinn frame?

Yep, it's just a standard mid 90's Rockshox fork. The old Schwinn frames have massively thick tube walls so we just reamed it out a bit, pressed the races and were good to go. You really need the kickback bendix hub to pull it all together, they're a blast.

Haven't done much with it yet.

From the picks, I wouldn't do anything to that. It already looks mint, except for the tires. If it is as good as the picks, why would you even change it?.

I got a soft spot in me for Schwinn's, I now have three of them. (2 are un-restored) This one was already posted before, but also started out life as a varsity, almost passed away do to rust and corrosion, and with several hours it has been reborn. I combined the parts from two old schwinn's to build this.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229013&highlight=Schwinn

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom