My dream speaker - RS1b

Got a chance to open the last box that contained the active crossover. See attached pictures. It is heavily modded - with a separate power supply box - very heavy - containing all those big capacitors.

I never looked at the inside of the unmodded active 1b's crossover - so I assumed the the original capacitors in it were removed.
Unfortunately, the images are very blurred. Was ich aber sofort erkenne, ist dass der "Bastler" dort wirklich extrem übertrieben hat mit dem Netzteil. Solche Elkos würde gut zu einer Leistungsendstufe passen, aber ganz sicher nicht zu dieser aktiven Frequenzweiche!

The active crossover may have a power consumption of 0.3 A for "+" and "-". That's it.

I am still having trouble to connect the wiring from the passive crossovers to the mid/hi drivers. The wire ends have solder on them and it increased the size from 12 ga to at least 10 ga. Cannot find female terminals that can take 10 ga wire. I am thinking about cutting the ends off and then attach the new terminals - however, even finding good quality female terminals that can take 12 ga wire is difficult. Any suggestion?
I admit, these connectors are hard to come by, but they are there! You looking to good connectors for big cables? Although this is a German provider which is certainly in the U.S.. Here ist is.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SinusLive-Se...71026429?pt=Kabel_Stecker&hash=item3f112bdafd

This is a set of 4.8 mm and 2.8 mm with 12 each in red and black and gold plated and for 4 mm ² cable.

An application of precisely these connectors you can see here on my own RS1B:

http://www.top-audio.de/service/andere/force-emim/emim-bak3-nach.jpg

The complete story about this work you can read here (Sorry, only in german, use the google translator):

http://www.top-audio.de/service/andere/index-andere.htm

Take this link and then klick on the left side the button "Force Emim". There you will see an application with this connectors.

I am planning to test the active crossover today - using my kappa 6.1 (bi-ampable). I know it won't sound right but at least it may tell me if the active crossover is still in good shape after shipping. Any comment on whether this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks much.
This is not a good idea! Be very carefull. The Kappa is not builded for this type of driving! It may be demage!

Klaus

As promised earlier, see attached the documents that I got from the seller on the crossover modifications. They are not in order, as I am not sure which one is what.

Attachments

• wing-chun-rs1b-1.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 87
  • wing-chun-rs1b-2.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 61
  • wing-chun-rs1b-3.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 56
  • wing-chun-rs1b-4.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 60
  • wing-chun-rs1b-5.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-5.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 55
More docs attached.

Attachments

• wing-chun-rs1b-6.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-6.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 51
  • wing-chun-rs1b-7.jpg
    wing-chun-rs1b-7.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 57
As promised earlier, see attached the documents that I got from the seller on the crossover modifications. They are not in order, as I am not sure which one is what.

hi,
do you have the picture No. 1 (the active crossover) in a higher resolution? The image is too blurry, so that you can not see enough. The text parts and circuit details are very hard to read.

It is in any case very interesting.:yes:

Klaus

@klaus - I will take high res pics in the next couple days. Just got a new smart phone.

The scanning is not that good - but the actual docs are readable (with the help of some magnifying glass).

All ... if you want to get the hard copies (photocopy) of the schematics that I posted earlier, please send me a "pm" with an address. I will send them to you by post. Klaus, I can send them to you also if you want.

Wow, those are some speaker. I just got a small pair so am checking out the brand. Impressive.

I picked up the RS1b shipment yesterday from Boston. It barely fit in the Durango. I had been busy with work and other things - did not get much chance to play. Just unwrapped them - will take pics and post tomorrow.

The original owner - soldered all the emits and emims wiring, so we had to unsolder them before shipping. I should have had the foresight to ask the seller to label each wire - but he told me that he already took many high resolution pictures so that I can put them together. I was too excited at that time to think twice. Turned out - after close examination, I have no clue on what to do and how to connect them back. I have the pictures but the cables are of the same color (??). So, for the mean time, I picked up a pair of RS1b passive crossover (latest edition) from ebay. I plan to use this first until I have time to study more on how I can rewire the first pair of the crossover.

I spent about $250 just on the bubble wraps and another $250 on shipping the emims, emits, mid/high cabinet bases, passive/active crossovers separately by UPS. The shipping of the base towers and the mid/high panel is another $500. Total shipping from Seattle to NH is $1000. No damage during shipping.

For now, I am planning to use Carvers tfm-45 and -42. I have a pair of each model and I plan to use them as "mono-blocks". I will use just one channel out of each of the four amplifiers. Any comment about this configuration? I read that in this mode, the one channel can "borrow" from the other unused channel if needed.

Can't you bridge the amp like the M 1.5t? My manual for the 1.5 (and the rear of the amp itself) show how to do this.

I just looked, and yes, you flip the switch to mono, and wire it differently.

go here; http://thecarversite.com/manuals.htm
click on the tfm 45 or 42 manual, and go to page ten, it shows how to wire it. That way it's a 1000 watt monoblock. Hmmmm!

in mono, plug an input into the LEFT input ONLY on the amp, then wire the speaker to both RED leads on teh back (I know, that sounds wrong, but tha'ts how you do it)

IMO, carver amps are still amazing, I have two of them.

I don't think Infinity recommended bridging amps with their speakers, when bridged they won't handle the lower impedances.

Waudio just wondering have you got those big Infinitys up and running yet? If so what do you think of them?

Hello,

I was not well this past week - stomach bug - have not done much in the way of getting them up yet after coming from work. I bought some terminals that can barely fit the 12 awg chassis wires and put a few of them today. Hopefully, I can give update in another week or so.

@dcmaster - please see attached pictures of the active crossovers. I tried to localize on the locations where I think it has been modified. I have more pics at the next post.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 77
More pics on the active crossover.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 36
I found some terminals at a local store (Advanced Auto Parts) but they don't have enough. So, the 2nd crossover is not yet complete. They should have more terminals coming this Friday. The terminal will take 16-14awg but it will work with 12 awg if you twist the wire really hard. Sometimes, I have to cut a few strands to make it fit.

I also put new tags to label the wires. So far, looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 65
Two weekends ago, I built the bottlehead quickie battery powered preamp. The overall cost is not that cheap. The $99 base price is misleading, as it costs more to buy the casing, the PJCSS, and shipping + tax. However, I was curious about this preamp as it has good reviews. The Grant Fidelity DAC-09 was $210 shippe - in comparison.

Tested and compared it with the DAC-09 - with the RS2b's. The soundstage is wider and more open with the quickie but the sound is "harsher". The bass is notably less with the quickie too. It was only the first two hours with the stock tube on the quickie, so it may not be revealing what it is really capable.

Overall, I like the DAC-09 better. It has the GE White 5 Star tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 42
Enjoying this thread, great speakers, just wanted to say Pep Boys has those terminals as well. Boxes of 5 or 10 I can't remember. They are popular with car hi fi folks. I bought some to rewire the emits on my rsIIb's a while back.
Jim

Have to jump in here.

My RS1B's are a great speaker system. As far as bass goes, jees! When comparing them to other systems, there is nothing else comparable.

To use another crossover, I don't understand.

Arny Nudell was , in fact, a Rocket Scientist. He had the idea that the woofer output would be the same as the amplifier output, corrected by a servo.

He made the woofer output be the same as the amplifier input, by using the same technology as Air to Surface Missiles, as I understand it.

@jazzman and waudio,

please note: the rs1 should NOT be used with bridge amplifiers! Not with curver or others brands! This will demage the SCU and / or poweramp!

@suti
today I received your mail. Thanks alot.

Klaus

@dcmaster - please see attached pictures of the active crossovers. I tried to localize on the locations where I think it has been modified. I have more pics at the next post.

The resistors (5 peaces each channel) in pic 1 + 2 behind the connectors are not standard, but the function is ok.

Back
Top Bottom