Anybody know anything about vintage Toshiba receivers?

ToasterBin

Toasterbin
In particular, the SA-520, which I've been unable to find much if anything about. Looks to be a solidly built unit, so I am going out today to take a listen.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

ToasterBin

I have an SA-725 doing garage duty. Built like a tank. Very reliable. All i have done to it is a little cleaning and deoxit. Not even a bulb has burned out on this thing.

I have an SA-520 and other than peeling vinyl it is a very strong performer.

Last edited:
Toshiba

I have owned two Toshibas, the SA-7100 and a SC 335 Amp. Still have an SA 7100 and it is indeed built like a tank (50+ lbs.) with very solid sound and a good tuner.

The SC 335 gave me 10 years trouble free and I regret letting it go, it was a little freak of an amp.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up more of the Toshiba gear from the late 70's, early 80's - it's good stuff and frequently flies under the radar.

I have a sa520 I believe in the garage.I know it works but haven't heard it in so long I couldn't give you an opinion on it.It did come up on a ugliest receiver thread here once.

I have a yoshiba sb-620 integrated and the 335 seperate set (sy-335, sc335, st-335) The integrated is rated at a modest 62W/ch but seems to put out much higher output and is built like an absolute tank. The 335 amp gave me troubles from the beggining but after a complete overhaul it sounds amazing but is only about 40ish W/ch. I find the sound extremely relaxed, especially the 335 set and I dont think I will be parting with either set any time soon.

An SA-3500 here that I do not plan to part with. A very solid receiver, both tuner and amplifier sections.

Here the specs from a TOSHIBA catalog 1977, only in german

Technische Daten HiFi-Stereo-Receiver SA 520
FM
Empfangsbereich:87,5-108 MHz
Antenneneingang: 75 Ohm, 300 Ohm
Eingangsempfindlichkeit: 0,6 µV (26 dB, 60 Ohm), 1,2 µV (26 dB, 240 Ohm)
Klirrfaktor: MONO 0,2%, STEREO 0,4%
Frequenzgang: 20-15.000 Hz
Fremdspannungsobstand:70 dB
Kanaltrennung: 40 dB
Gleichwellenselection:1,0 dB
AM-Unterdrückung: 55 dB
ZF-Unterdrückung: 100 dB
Spiegelfrequenzunterdrückung:80 dB
Trennschärfe:65 dB
Pilottonunterdrückung:60 dB
MW
Empfangsbereich: 525-1605 KHz
Empfindlichkeit: 15 µV
Fremdspannungsabstand: 50 dB
Spiegelfrequenzunterdrückung: 40 dB
ZF-lJnterdrückung: 70 dB
Verstärker
Sinus Ausgangsleistung: 2 x 37 Watt, 4 Ohm, 1000 Hz, 2 x 35 Watt, 4 Ohm, 20-20.000 Hz
beide Kanäle betrieben
Musik Ausgangsleistung: 2 x 47,5 Watt, 4 Ohm
Frequenzgang: 15-40.000 Hz + 0,5 -1 dB
Klirrfaktor: 0,4%
IntermodulationsVerzerrungen: 0,4%
Lautsprecherimpedanz: 4-16 Ohm
Kopfhörerimpedanz: 4-16 Ohm
Dämpfungsfaktor: 45 - bei 8 Ohm
Eingangsempfindlichkeit und Impedanz:
Phono mag: 2,5 mV, 47 KOhm
AUX: 150 mV 50 KOhm
Tonband: 150 mV 50 KOhm
Tonband DIN: 150 mV, 50 KOhm
Loudness: + 10 dB (100 Hz), + 5 dB (10 KHz)
Baß-Regelbereich: ± 10 dB (100 Hz)
Höhen-Regelbereich: ± 10 dB (10 KHz)
Allgemeines
Halbleiter: 6 FET's, 2 ICs, 42 Transistoren, 26 Dioden
Stromversorgung: 220 V, 50 Hz
Leistungsaufnahme:´310 Watt
Abmessungen: 530 x 158 x 435 mm
Gewicht: 18,5 kg

Michael-Otto

Sold them back in the 70s. When my dealer took on the audio product line, the sales guys considered them a second-level product line to the Marantz, Pioneer, Sony stuff. When I pulled one apart for them to see inside, they changed their minds.

At the time, most Toshiba, Sanyo and other similar brands were associated with clock radios, and similar little devices that showed up in Dime Stores, discount/KMart, and drug stores.

For the dealer, Toshiba was agressively priced so that there was better margin in their products, which translated to higher profits. This was because Toshiba didn't advertise or get product reviews from the audio magazines. Today, this explains why there's less known in general about the products.

In fact, their gear was quite good, performed as good as the big-name gear and still does today - when you can find them. I doubt their sales volumes were anywhere near those of Sony, Pioneer, etc.

Cheers,

David

I have a Toshiba SA-775. Mainly kept it because it is rather unusual looking. Does garage duty with a pair of HPM-100's, or rather, it does my outdoor duty as I open the garage door and crank it when I am outside(have to love the country).
Well built receiver. I prefer the sound of my Kenwood KR-7600 (same power), but the Toshiba sounds fine, Kenwood just a little warmer, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on speakers and personal preference.
In the late 70's, was not nearly as popular as the other major names, but just because it was not as popular does not mean not as good.
Kenwood is known for some pretty decent tuners on their receivers - the Toshiba picks up stations better then the Kenwood.
Seems it does not have the clarity though, BUT, could very well be it just needs, no, I know it needs, re-capped.

Overall a very satisfactory receiver. Actually is my most used one at the moment. Must be tough as heck as it is in my un-cooled garage where it is easily over 100 degrees and cranked up for long periods of time - has yet to break a sweat.
Actually, more I think about it, more I want to bring it in and recap it and move it to a better climate......uh-oh, you just condemned my Kenwood to the 2nd garage...

I just looked at my Toshiba receiver yesterday and realized it is a 520, not a 620 as I had remembered. I used it for a long while in tandem with my Kenwood 8010 and it held its ground. It is a nice sounding receiver and I am glad I paid the $8 for it.

Back
Top Bottom