Ampex Speakers ???

Shain

Just got these fine examples of what apparently are Ampex 3 ways ?? They have Ampex badges on the grilles anyway. Can't find any models numbers on them.

I've never seen these before (or any other Ampex speakers).
So does anyone know anything about these??

Minor score:
I also got a Kenwood KR5600 receiver, and a Superscope receiver with a turntable mounted on top, and the speakers, all for $20

I can't imagine the Ampex putting something like that out. Note that they have Motorola piezo tweeters in them. They have that late-seventies Asian look to them. But, other than that, how do they sound?

JBLs??

Pull the drivers and let us know what numbers/letters are stamped on them - some Ampex speakers were built using JBL sourced drivers. The woofers and mids might be original, and the tweeters were replaced at some point? Just guessing. Either way, nice find.

I've owned a couple of small Ampex speakers -- their version of the Auratone and some small two ways -- and I've seen ads for larger ones. But those I haven't seen, and my suspicion is that actually you have an ampex cabinet with random drivers. Both the woofer and the mid look like refugees from various pioneer speakers. I agree with those who suggest pulling them and looking at the serial numbers. If they are replacements, they might have more value parted out and replaced with more generic drivers.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. The only indication of a brand name is the front badges on the grilles.

Serial numbers on back of enclosers are 421577, 421587

Tweeter:
15ES3386

5" mid:
115 055 mid
1 khz - 8 khz
80hm num 10w
max 25w
Japan

12" Woofer:
112 068
1056 2z04

There are no numbers inside the boxes, or on the crossovers. (crossovers have a reset button)

Last edited:
According to the WeberVST EIA code list: 1056 is Fisher, but the 2204 or 2z04-- who knows? I think that 112 068 is a part number. The tweeter is either a Motorola "orange juicer" piezo or a knockoff thereof. Dunno about the MR, could be Foster or something. Dave "Planetsofta" Dlugos might be able to ID it. He's a moderator at DIYAudio.com, IIRC. His own site is http://www.planet10-hifi.com/ and/or www.tlinespeakers.org .

Think I may have owned speakers like this

I think I might have had a pair of these speakers back in the late 70's/early 80's, but don't see any pictures. I know this is an old thread, but did you post pics on these? If so, I would love to have a look, 'cuz I'm curious to chat about them if they are what I used to have.

Back
Top Bottom