Pioneer PD-M90X

How did you do the wood sides on your timer and cassette deck? I just got a DT-510 and a CT-F850 for my bedroom rig and would love to have them match the SA-5800 and TX-6800.

Hi I have one of these players, it sounds very good. Mine also was purchased of ebay, non working. I was correct in assuming that it was the laser, and had it replaced. More expensive than the normal laser replacement as pioneer charges a premium on Elite parts. I believe that todays upper end DVD players give a sound as good or better as this unit because of technology moving forward.
cheers Wolfgang

redd6054 said:
Hi I have one of these players, it sounds very good. Mine also was purchased of ebay, non working. I was correct in assuming that it was the laser, and had it replaced. More expensive than the normal laser replacement as pioneer charges a premium on Elite parts. I believe that todays upper end DVD players give a sound as good or better as this unit because of technology moving forward.
cheers Wolfgang

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it's not the laser. The seller does not specify what is not working. I don't know if it even turns on. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be a power supply issue or bad fuse.

Out of curiosity, how much was the laser assembly?

Paul

Bogframe said:
How did you do the wood sides on your timer and cassette deck? I just got a DT-510 and a CT-F850 for my bedroom rig and would love to have them match the SA-5800 and TX-6800.

The cassette deck was easy. I had the wood cabinet already so all I had to do was strip the vinyl off and applied a red oad veneer that I purchased at Lowe's. It was Band-It brand iron-on veneer. I also purchased the edge trimmer but discovered that the edges can also be done with a utility knife with a sharp blade. If you're new to this as I was, I would highly recommend the edge trimmer. I used 220 grit paper to complete the edges after the cabinet was completely veneered. One thing I learned was that I got better looking results by veneering the sides first and then the edges. If you don't have a wood cabinet for the 850 I would ask around AK for someone that has an 850 with the cabinet and get measurements and pictures. They do look really sweet in wood.

The timer has since been redone because I saw too many flaws for my taste. I purchsed a couple pieces of red oak wood and measured and built it from scratch. No longer veneer. I then put a coat of semi-clear polyurethane. You won't be able to use the original screws as they will be too short. The screw I purchased I think are M4 -.7. Can't remember the exact length. The screws in the pics are now gold in color. They blend in better with the wood.

DT-5 1 DT-5 2 DT-5 3

I believe the DT-510 is the same shell as the DT-5. If you need measurements let me know.

Have Fun,
Paul

Back
Top Bottom