w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
Saturday October 20th, 2012

At Franks shop-
55 Sterling Street
Clinton Ma 01510

Just over the railroad tracks.

As usual we'll start around 11AM and we usually go until around 6-7PM.

These events are going quite well with people taking more responsibility for bringing food and cleaning up afterwards. Let's keep that up!

The swap / sell tables will be a given as usual and people can bring their favorite toys and systems to set up. Just take your unsold treasure home with you, don't load Frank's dumpster.

Please spread the word to anyone and everyone in the New England area to attend - AK involvement isn't a requirement, although typically a given.

All that is required is an obsessive interest in all things audio - that's our common bond.

For the Summer GTG we had some additional space available. We won't know if that will happen again for a few weeks.

JimB

I was thinking it would be good if we could have more participatory activity at this event.
In the past I've done done things like comparing a recapped to stock receiver (SX-850) and compare LPs to CDs.
The last event Audiodon did a preamp comparison and Al Wise usually brings his tube tester.

What kinds of comparisons or teaching sessions would you guys like to see or present?
I know Stephanie expressed interest in learning how to solder. Perhaps a cable building session?

I was thinking it would be interesting to have an outside speaker but then it occured to me that we have plenty of expertise in our own ranks.
Also, I think people like the loose structure so that they can come and go as they please.

What are your thoughts?

JimB

Thinking about it.
I've brought too much gear last couple of go-arounds.
Will be thinking about something different this time.

I had a conversation with gigbyt about what would be useful.

How about a class on how to integrate a powered subwoofer or two into your system?

Please let me know if interested. If there's enough interest, I'll develop material you can take home also.

I'll be there. As for participatory ideas, I may be the only one, but if anyone's willing, I would REALLY like some hands-on insight into proper cartridge alignment. Despite my best efforts, Inner Groove Distortion continues to mock me...

I'll even volunteer a table for people to experiment on :D

I had a conversation with gigbyt about what would be useful.

How about a class on how to integrate a powered subwoofer or two into your system?

Please let me know if interested. If there's enough interest, I'll develop material you can take home also.

I like this.

Get Together

I would like to learn how to set up my turntable with a new needle / cartridge! I have several waiting to be done!
also..at the last get together someone had a box of cables available for a nominal donation..I suddenly find myself in need of 5 or 6 sets of good audio cables, any leads?
Thanks,
Ed

It's a hell of a drive but I'll get 'er done.

I have a complete set of early Rolling Stones records but they're stereo.
I'll bring them if someone else will bring their early mono originals for a sound quality shootout.

Add my name to the "Please show me how to set up a TT" list. I thought I did know how to do that but am not so sure any more.

Steph, Deli, and other TT wizards, can you hear us begging? :angel:

Another possible subject - A guided tour of a tube amp and how it works. Al or Don? Anyone else? There seems to be a lot of interest in tube amps.

If everything works out, I'll be there as well. Haven't decided what I'll bring, but it should be interesting. :scratch2:
-Adam

Damn, looks like I'm going to miss this one. Don't feel too bad for me though, I'll be in Italy.

Wow... that was quick! I'm still basking in the glow of Sweatfest!

Count me in. I like the idea of a TT clinic. And I'd like to learn how to break down a tone arm, and what measure of preventive maintenance should be followed. (as time ticks on, these skills are becoming more & more scarce...)

Thanks (once again) to our "NE AKfest Gand Poobah", AKA w1jim of course!... and as always to Frank & Peter for hosting.

Last edited:
Sadly, I will not be able to attend the upcoming get together. The last two have been a lot of fun and I will definitely be there for Winterfest (assuming there is one).

Looks like "Setting up a turntable" is getting the lions share of the +1's here. I like the cable making session idea too.

has there ever been a headphone rig showcase. like a mini Can-Jam festival?

I'm working on someone for the turntable seminar. The regulars are maybes for a variety of reasons. I have another member friend who rarely posts who may be able to present.

I like the idea of a headphone head-off.
I'm sure between us we have plenty of headphones we could bring.
I've got a pair of Grado SR-80's - what else are people willing to bring and what would we use as a source that would allow for level matching between two (or more) sets of phones?

For a demo this time around I'm thinking of setting up a system where we could a/b two CD players - a high end unit and a basic unit - each playing the same CD simultaneously like I did with the CD/LP comparison last time.
I ask that if folks have 2 of a particular CD to bring them along for this.

Back
Top Bottom