Yamaha NS-590 Speakers

winegasman

A couple of years ago I gave my cousin my old NS-590s when she needed to build a system on the cheap. Much to my surprise, over the weekend she gave them back to me, now that she's remarried and the new husband's got a system. So, I'm looking at the old workhorses wondering what, if anything, they're worth.

The cabinets are in decent shape -- some bumps and bruises, but not bad for 26 years old. The grills are pulled and worn a bit, but still hang in the box when put there. And they still have their Yamaha badges. The drivers all work fine, and the refoaming I had done about 12 years ago still looks great.

So, is there any market for these, in whole or as parts? They've got big, heavy 10" woofers, nice little 3 or 4" mid-ranges, and the notorious Yamaha beryllium tweeters. Any ideas how I can best get rid of them, and how much they might be worth?

Thanks,
Rich

You can mail them to me! :D

If the tweeters are the same part number as the NS-1000 then parting them out is probably the best way to get the most $$$ out of them.

Is the mid a dome or cone? Maybe a picture of them would help - I'm familair with NS-690 and NS-670 but I've never seen an NS-590.

I'll look into them tomorrow to find out part #s for the drivers. The midrange, if I remember correctly, is a dome. The speaker's have controls for midrange and tweeter on the upper part of the baffle. And they're mirror image speakers. I guess pics would make it easier, eh?! I'll take some tomorrow. Thanks, Rich

Well, I pulled the drivers to see what they are (and in a PM someone told me that this model did NOT use the beryllium tweeter). The NS-590s have the following drivers:

Tweeter Model - JA-0522 (1" or so metal tweeter)
Midrange - JA-1204 (4" or so PAPER driver)
Woofer - JA-3064 (10" or so PAPER driver)

The surrounds are in great shape on the mids and woofers.

So, can anyone please help me figure out if these speakers are worth anything? They do sound pretty good (but much more veiled on the low end than my Green Mountain C-1's). The mids and highs are quite satisfying.

Someone PM-ed saying they're worth $60 according to some blue book or other. They originally sold for $700 and have solid, heavy drivers and cabinet. Could they be worth that little today?

Thanks, Rich

The way I see it they are worth what someone will pay for them. Put them on Epay and see what happens.

Oh please DON'T part them out...a waste of a perfectly good set of speakers, but yes likely more financial return.

The last pair I had sold for 400.00 on eBay. . . Mine were 690II. .in fair condition. . . I'm pretty sure about the model number. . .Mine were 1 step below the 1000. . .

I sure would have bet money the woofers were 12in instead of 10. . .

Or did you say 590?? Still it should be worth plenty. . .

Attachments

• h07a25l-img600x515-1162520018690-1.jpg
    h07a25l-img600x515-1162520018690-1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
OK, I've taken some pictures. These NS-590s may indeed have 12" woofers -- I measured the diameter of the inside paper cone edge -- it's more like 12" when I measure including the surround and the frame edge.

Attachments

• NS-590 Speakers.JPG
    NS-590 Speakers.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 43
  • NS-590s - No Grills.JPG
    NS-590s - No Grills.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 134
  • NS-590 Woofers.JPG
    NS-590 Woofers.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 53
  • NS-590 Driver Controls.JPG
    NS-590 Driver Controls.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 79
  • NS-590 Rear Info.JPG
    NS-590 Rear Info.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 61
Don't part them out. Why not offer them in the AK classifieds. I'm sure someone would love to give them a new home.

cubdog

winegasman said:
So, is there any market for these, in whole or as parts? They've got big, heavy 10" woofers, nice little 3 or 4" mid-ranges, and the notorious Yamaha beryllium tweeters. Thanks, Rich
Notorious? Do you mean notoriously fast, revealing and extended in frequency and not tolerant of poor electronics? Then, yes. Notorius. The Be doomed tweeter in the NS-1000/M is a JA-0513. Don't know that these are or are not Be, as Yamaha also made some Ti metal domes, as well. Hopefully, someone will take them whole, as they are a very nice speaker.

looks to me like one step below the 690. . .Not a bad place to be. I'm quite sure they are sought after.

If they were mine. . .and I wanted to sell them I'd list them on eBay with a 375.00 buy it now and in their condition I doubt the auction would make it 24 hours. . .

forget blue book value.... they're worth whatever they sell for. If I lived within a quick drive I'd be over there loading them into the car, but I'm a Yamaha fan and I like speakers with cone midranges. They look to be in good condition, so I'd say $200 and up is reasonable??

Only problem with selling speakers on ebay is the packing and shipping troubles, and it seems local pickup only auctions just don't generate high final values. Try here (AK classifieds) and Craiggslist first, as the ad will be up for weeks, not days. Then maybe Audiogon?

OK, so I put them on ebay, with a minimum bid of $100, and a BIN of $275. Let's see what happens! Thanks for all of your helpful ideas.
Rich

Back
Top Bottom