Wharfedale W60D

I checked them with meter and they are open. I think they are both fried. I heard that tweeters are easy to get blown out for these models. Are there known problems with crossovers, too?

I checked them with meter and they are open. I think they are both fried. I heard that tweeters are easy to get blown out for these models. Are there known problems with crossovers, too?

No known problem with X-O's that I know of. I've had my 60E's since late '07, re-capped them early '08 and they're my most listened to speakers in my "stable" (they're in the office/computer room).

There's several sets of Wharfedale tweeters on E-bay. A seller in Western Canada has 2 pair of the good tweeters (W-60E tweets), but is VERY proud of them (most Canadian sellers are very pricey). There's ONE of the good kind for sale as well, but a tad dinged.

Also a pair od tweets for W-60D's...not as durable as the E models..possibly due to the more open frame in front...more purple exposed. GordonW should be the real expert on this, being a speaker designer from England(IIRC)

If the D tweets don't go much higher, they may be a good replacement unless you listen at higher volumes.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I looked through ebay for a suitable replacement, but as you mentioned, Canadian seller's price is quite high considering I only paid less than $30 for the pair. I'm also looking at super 3 tweeters. I'm not sure if these tweeters will match well. Not to mention that I might have to drill some holes.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I looked through ebay for a suitable replacement, but as you mentioned, Canadian seller's price is quite high considering I only paid less than $30 for the pair. I'm also looking at super 3 tweeters. I'm not sure if these tweeters will match well. Not to mention that I might have to drill some holes.

In a pinch, anything reasonable will do, if you don't want the cheaper purple tweeters.

My Celestion Ditton 66's are also British, and the tweets were VERY pricey ($200+ and shipping) The Emit K tweeters from an Infinity RS 5000 matched pretty nicely, save they were a tad small. Finally, after a year of waiting, a reasonably priced pair came available.

Hang in there.:thmbsp:

Just because you got a deal on the speakers, it does not somehow relate to the value of the replacement tweeters. It only means you have a larger budget for parts before exceeding their value.

The crossover points and efficiency of the SuperTweeter3 and the fried egg tweeters are different enough they do not substitute. Look for a good set of replacement series II fried egg tweeters and consider replacing the caps. These speakers in stock form are very good and simply sticking in some replacement where the specs are not similar to the original driver will give you a different sound from original. Companies spend quite a bit of time designing systems and tuning the crossovers to the driver and voicing so unless you have the experience, you may simply be getting less than the best out of them.

I have a pair of the W60E, and the W60D. The tweeters in the D were bad, so I replaced the with Phillips tweeters. They still sound very nice.

Back
Top Bottom