Teac 6010 GSL problem

henter04

I have the Teac 6010 and it was working good till recently. The problem is during rewind or fast forward the reels are not fully synchronized anymore that one would still be spinning while the other one is at complete stop thus creating a big mess with the tapes. What can be the problem? Thanks for all the help.

Could be the brake-solenoid or the actual brakes.
When you use Play function, does the tape slack and tension-arms bounce at the same time ?
Each reel-motor has a brake-solenoid mounted below the motor, check for loose brake-pad, or worn down brakes.
Don't adjust the actual solenoid, before you have determined what the problem is, even if those adjusting screws seems tempting to mess with.:D
Take the black back-cover off first and see what's going on.

Good Luck and let me know what you find.:)

Reading your post again, is it doing this when the tape is spooled up on either right or left reel and the deck does not come to a final stop when the tape is ended ?

Vintage TX, yes it does it everytime I go on fast forward or rewind on either side. If I just leave it on play it seems to be OK except if I try to reverse the direction while playing, then there's some slack on the tape and it won't go on play cause the tension arm is not engage anymore. But if i just let it play, it would till the end of the tape. Anyway thanks for the response and hopefully I can find out what's wrong with it.

Seems like you have 2 problems.:(
If the tape tension slack when reverse play is engaged that can be the brakes on each reel-table motor is not responding correctly.

When you rewind the tape, does the right reel-motor still spins after all tape is on the left reel ?

Tension arm falls down correctly ?

Sorry for all questions, but these can be tricky:cool:

Vintate TX, yes the reel still spins after all the tape is on the left side. And yes I believe the tension arm falls down correctly. By the way, where exactly are the brakes located? Thanks for the help Vintage TX.

The right one still spins after using rewind. Maybe like you said, needs brake adjustments or maybe more serious than brakes adjustment. Oh well...

OK, that is not the brakes:)
Behind the right tension-arm is two switches when the arm drops down,one of the switches shut the power off to the reel-motors when tape is spooled up completely to the left reel.
These are hard to reach but take the back-cover off and look just behind the tension-arm from the back, you should be able to see 2 small switches and a tiny spring kind of wrapped around.
You can also take the right sidepanel off to get more room.
Of course unplug the unit first.;)

Hopefully you find a loose wire, or in worst case a broken switch in two pieces..:(

Good Luck !

Vintage TX, thanks for all the help. Anyway since the reel tape is like a 2 piece unit I took the upper part off the main wooden case and check the switches and found no loose wire or broken switches. Now what it's doing is, everytime the tape is on play, and I stop it I noticed that the take up reel is always the one that stops first and it does it on either direction. By take up reel I mean the spool that the tape is going into. Thanks again and maybe I need to adjust the brakes now.:D

Vintage TX, thanks for all the help. Anyway since the reel tape is like a 2 piece unit I took the upper part off the main wooden case and check the switches and found no loose wire or broken switches. Now what it's doing is, everytime the tape is on play, and I stop it, the take up reel is always the one that stops first and after about 5 seconds the supply reel stops and it does it on either direction. By take up reel I mean the spool that the tape is going into. Thanks again and maybe I need to adjust the brakes now.:D

So my guess what's wrong with the "patient " didn't work.:D
Did it change trouble now to the other reel instead ?:dunno:
Before the R-reel just kept on going after rewinding the tape, correct ?

But when you had it apart to check the right tension-arm, does the motor come on/off properly when you lift and release the arm ?
Don't give up yet.;)

Let me ask this:
If you press play and the left reel has tape on it, and feed the take-up reel, "normal Left to right"
When pressing stop does the R-reel stop directly and the L-reel still keep on feeding the tape or ?

Yes Vintage TX, the right tension arm comes on and off the right way.

Yes, if I had the tape on the left and normal left to right operation and press stop, the right reel would stop right away. But the left reel keeps on running for about 5 seconds before coming to a full stop. And vice versa if the right reel is feeding the left reel, and press stop the left reel would stop right away but the right reel would run for another 5 seconds thus creating a big slack on the tape. Again thanks for all the help and looking at the teac when I had it apart I can't seem to find the brakes and solonoid. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for:D

Look at the picture below:
1 is the solenoid
2 is the brake-band. it has a felt glued on the metal, sometimes this felt comes loose and shift around or even fall out.
Check that first = engage the solenoid with your finger, press on the shaft, that release the brakeband around reel-motor.

Let me know what you find.;)

Hello Vintage TX. I inspected the brake paddings and they are not worn out and they are not loose either. It's still doing the same thing when you push stop while it's playing. Also if I change direction while it's on play the take up reel stops first while the supply reel will spin for another 5 seconds thus preventing it to change direction cause the tension arm is now disengage. Here's a picture of the teac I had. How about adjusting the brakes? Is the brake adjustment the two long screws near the counter wheel? If not where are they located? Thanks again for all the help.

The GSL model is different inside.:rolleyes:
Did you check the solenoid if it's release and engage OK ?
Those long screws with sleeve is for tape-tourqe, not the brakes.
Can you post a picture of the reel-motor with brake-band and solenoid ?:)

Thanks for all the help Vintage TX, I think I will just replace this unit with a teac A-3440 that is locally available in my area. Again thanks for all the help and it is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom