Holiday reno project

treserious

Post Punk Junkie
I'm off for the holidays until the 3rd, so I decided to make good use of that time by redoing my stairwell to the basement.

this started by me removing the paneling, and cedar shingles that were on the wall, and then trying to remove the stucco from the top end.

this left me with some really ugly walls that weren't readily plaster-able, at least if I wanted good results.

so I decided to gut it and start from scratch.

I am also building in a china cabinet in the far wall which is pretty much wasted space.
the bottom 2' of this cabinet will serve as a built in home theater cabinet.

Here are 2 pics, gutted, and the start of the new framing.

the second pic has the start of the new framing, and a temporary platform I put in in order to be able to work on the top of the 16' .

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 30
You're spending the holidays in Reno?

:D Sorry... Couldn't resist.

Seriously, that's quite the project you've got going there...

Seriously, that's quite the project you've got going there...

not that big of a deal, dealt with much bigger having done my own extension to the house.
with one set of helping hands I could have this project hammered out in a weekend, but I'm doing it bymyself and taking my time so I dont wake up the sciatica beast.

got a little more done today, it was slow going recovering from a turkey coma.

I got the rest of the framing for the cabinet wall done, and got additional wood in to tack my sheetrock to.

got one piece of sheetrock up, but got stalled thinking I wanted to rewire the lights switches. I had 2 light switches, one for the stairwell, and one at the foot of the stairs. We always used both lights, so I didn't see the point in two switches.
now back to the sheetrock.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
got a bit more drywall up, and got the framing done for the 45 angle

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 22
Good progress, I bet those sheets weren't the easiest to place without a helper. You are going back with the screw gun on that drywall?

yeah, it was a bit of a pain. got my GF to zap 2 screws in while I was holding it up and then I finished zapping screws in.
I do have to follow up with a few more screws.

I got 2 more sheets in yesterday, and I got my vintage industrial lamp cleaned up.

got my industrial lamp all assembled and wired up, and got a new octo-box in.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 11
working on the china cabinet.
That there is black walnut.

Frame is in, doors are in progress, finished fitting them today.

Attachments

• IMG_0269[1].jpg
    IMG_0269[1].jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom