AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

FWIW, I won't be able to do any baffle milling this time around if people are interested in the premade cabinets.

That's weird...the truncated version of the tweeter (DC28FT-8) has slightly different specs. The curves are identical and more closely reflect the DC28F-8 numbers.

I don't think it's enough to matter since the Re, Le and Z are the same.

...........fs..Qms..Qes..Qts
DC28F-8....637 0.82 0.90 0.43
DC28FT-8...596 0.86 0.60 0.35

me too! I already built a pair with my son (who's now 8 but at the time I think he was six). I know this sounds crazy but it's the way I think:
I've been toying around with the idea of doing my own 'group buy', but haven't put much thought into this. But my idea is to collect 4 or 5 dads and their 8 year old sons and do a group build in my garage in spring time. I've already mentioned it and a all the dads I ask are "in". Sort of like an after school program with benefits. I'd prefab some mdf into parts so the kids and dads would just assemble the six pcs and spray paint them in one after school session. Then in another session we'd solder up the crossovers. And maybe the third session (if needed) we'd assemble the speakers and let them play some music. At the end of these three sessions the kids (or their dads) would have a fantastic sounding pair of speakers and a memory to last as long as the speakers do.
So I'm thinking you might even include me for 4 or 5 sets of components on my own...
let's do this! (although a run of those PCBs would GREATLY help my cause... Zilch, add me to the miss you list- hope there's music up there wherever you are!)

take care
peter

(although a run of those PCBs would GREATLY help my cause...
That's a nice thought Peter. Don't be so sure about the PCBs, though. The crossover can be done point-to-point and arranged pretty much just like the schematic, which would make it easy to point out the basic purpose of the schematic to a kid. You could also play with heatshrink, which is kinda fun.

I did the crossover on an 1/8 inch piece of masonite, with through holes drilled in the appropriate places, and hot glue the components down. Maybe zip tie holes for the bigger items. It is not very hard. Pictures are way back in the thread someplace.

That's weird...the truncated version of the tweeter (DC28FT-8) has slightly different specs. The curves are identical and more closely reflect the DC28F-8 numbers.

I don't think it's enough to matter since the Re, Le and Z are the same.

...........fs..Qms..Qes..Qts
DC28F-8....637 0.82 0.90 0.43
DC28FT-8...596 0.86 0.60 0.35

As long as the impedance curves are similar and the Fs is in the same ballpark, things like Qms, Qes, and Qts won't really matter.

There was the original build here which would be the 08-09 stuff and then the all the "locals" who wanted a pair had one. Then last winter the project was published in PE's Project Showcase and there was a resurgence.

I just bought another pair of Realistic MC-1000 cabinets. :banana: Ray, will you do a second pair of baffles for me? And, if so, Dave would you please include me on the next 'group buy'?

Dave,

Put me down for another pair.

I'm highly tempted as well.

Any chance that there could be another run of Zilch's PCBs to go along with a group buy, too?

I would be interested in a group buy.

me too! I already built a pair with my son (who's now 8 but at the time I think he was six). I know this sounds crazy but it's the way I think:
I've been toying around with the idea of doing my own 'group buy', but haven't put much thought into this. But my idea is to collect 4 or 5 dads and their 8 year old sons and do a group build in my garage in spring time. I've already mentioned it and a all the dads I ask are "in". Sort of like an after school program with benefits. I'd prefab some mdf into parts so the kids and dads would just assemble the six pcs and spray paint them in one after school session. Then in another session we'd solder up the crossovers. And maybe the third session (if needed) we'd assemble the speakers and let them play some music. At the end of these three sessions the kids (or their dads) would have a fantastic sounding pair of speakers and a memory to last as long as the speakers do.
So I'm thinking you might even include me for 4 or 5 sets of components on my own...
let's do this! (although a run of those PCBs would GREATLY help my cause... Zilch, add me to the miss you list- hope there's music up there wherever you are!)

take care
peter

OK, then I'm in on a group buy, as well. So, I'm sitting here counting the numbers. Did I find everyone? Are you guys still serious? For me it's GO time again for another pair! Who's with me? Peter may be the "variable" number here. Anyone else want to jump in? You'll be glad you did! :yes:

Brian

I have been pondering the notion of building these. Going through my notes after reading the entire thread (that took FOREVER), I don't recall any definite numbers regarding the power handling decrease jumping up to the 0.5cf cabinets compared to the stock 0.38cf cabs. I would like to make them slightly more efficient by using the larger cab, with the hope of getting away with only 15wpc in nearfield.

Has anyone been able to compare both versions (0.38cf & 0.5cf) in the same room? I'm wondering if the larger cab helps the Indignia fill a room better than the smaller ones.

The overall sensitivity will remain the same, you just end up with a slight increase in bass extension at the expense of power handling. You aren't really gaining anything any extra output outside of the deepest bass. In the process, you are probably losing some of the "punchiness" the hump in the bass currently provides. I'd probably stick with the .38 cu ft box.

Last edited:
I haven't played them back to back but I've built "standard" Indignias which still reside in my living room and fill it just fine as well as .5ft^3 Roundignias. It's been a couple of years since the Roundignias moved to California so I'm working from memory here and not a strict A/B but the only difference I can recall hearing was a little bit lower bass extension with the .5 version.

I never pushed either to failure so I can't comment on real world power handling.

I think I'll stick with the stock 0.38cf cabs then. No sense in fixing what isn't broke! RayW: what are you currently driving your pair with?

BTW: Prices of the parts on PE have dropped considerably in the past week. The price of the standard 0.38cf cherrywood cabinets have dropped from $87 to $70! The project kit price is only $125 right now. I seem to recall it being closer to $200 a week or so ago when I first starting reading this thread.

If you want to save big bucks on the drivers you must order them before midnight tomorrow.

RayW: what are you currently driving your pair with?

Currently they're doing duty as mains in my HT system being run by an older Sony AVR....STR-DE945. In the not too distant past they were driven by an NAD 7155 receiver, a Carver TFM-22, and at AK Fest 2010 an NAD C325BEE. At AK Fest 2009 they got good reviews running on AKer Jaymanaa's hotrodded Dynaco ST70.

Back
Top Bottom