AR-48s Speakers on the way for next project

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
Found some AR-48s speakers that need midrange foams, should be a fun project. I tried to find as much information I could before hand and it all seemed positive so I bought them.

I am a fan of AR speakers so I hope they turn out as good as the 18-Bs and 38-Bs I refoamed already.

Anyone have a set and able to give me the low down?

Thanks!

I guess no one has any experience with the AR-48s, I was planning on a refoam and recap. Just wanted to see if any members have restored a set of these and if there is any surprises.

Last edited:
Not really what you are looking for, but I had a pair that had both mids and tweeters blown. I looked for parts for several months with no luck and ended up trading them to another member who was going to replace the blown parts with some (CTS?) drivers he picked up cheap. They seemed to be well built & heavy. Good luck!

Not really what you are looking for, but I had a pair that had both mids and tweeters blown. I looked for parts for several months with no luck and ended up trading them to another member who was going to replace the blown parts with some (CTS?) drivers he picked up cheap. They seemed to be well built & heavy. Good luck!

The drivers all work in these but the foams are dried out and ready to fall apart. When I did mid foams in my 38Bs the new foams were not straight and kept pulling apart when the glue was tacky. I was able to find something round and the right size to sit on them while setting up but it was frustrating to say the least.

Nice avitar by the way, I own a 1970 Chevelle also! Thats my other hobby, classic muscle cars. :thmbsp:

Nice avitar by the way, I own a 1970 Chevelle also! Thats my other hobby, classic muscle cars. :thmbsp:

Thanks! I have owned it since '87 when it was given to me by my Grandfather who bought it new. Unfortunatley I don't have a lot of time for it but I don't think I could part with it. Currently it is in my garage with the engine partially dissassembled. I hope to have it back on the road this summer. Any pics of your Chevelle??

I own a pair of the AR-58S which I think is the next one up, I had to refoam both woofers and replace one of the tweeters. I did get an original tweeter though and it cost me a good bit but they are excellent sounding speakers.
I also sanded it down and refinished it with one of the kits from the guy on ebay.

Thanks! I have owned it since '87 when it was given to me by my Grandfather who bought it new. Unfortunatley I don't have a lot of time for it but I don't think I could part with it. Currently it is in my garage with the engine partially dissassembled. I hope to have it back on the road this summer. Any pics of your Chevelle??

Great, sounds like a great car with a lot of sentimental value, mine came from southern Cal. 1 owner, I have put SS suspension and rear posi in it. I am an engine builder by trade so I installed a 383 stroker under the hood. Keeping the car stock looking as possible for the sleeper look.

Also have a 1972 Buick GSX clone, originals are hard to buy so I made one. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I own a pair of the AR-58S which I think is the next one up, I had to refoam both woofers and replace one of the tweeters. I did get an original tweeter though and it cost me a good bit but they are excellent sounding speakers.
I also sanded it down and refinished it with one of the kits from the guy on ebay.

Thanks for responding, looks like they should be a good set of speakers when finished, the 10" woofer should pound out enough bass to keep up with the crisp highs that the ARs are known for. Look forward to getting inside them and seeing how they are put together.

Great, sounds like a great car with a lot of sentimental value, mine came from southern Cal. 1 owner, I have put SS suspension and rear posi in it. I am an engine builder by trade so I installed a 383 stroker under the hood. Keeping the car stock looking as possible for the sleeper look.

Also have a 1972 Buick GSX clone, originals are hard to buy so I made one. :thmbsp:

Mine has a similar "Sleeper" look and will remain a Malibu with the stainless fender/door trim & flat hood that so many people remove to clone an SS. Good thing for you I'm not closer or I would be imposing on you for engine building help:D. I would love to stroke mine to a 383 but it will remain a 350 due to time/funding. Still a fun ride, especially with the top down! My 2nd favorite A-body is the Buick & I am a big fan of the GSX, especially yellow.

I bought a pair of AR48s for $10. I refoamed the woofers and mids and I like them so much that they have become my main speakers in my main system. They get a little help from a JBL sub. I have them on 18" stands and it made a big difference.

I bought a pair of AR48s for $10. I refoamed the woofers and mids and I like them so much that they have become my main speakers in my main system. They get a little help from a JBL sub. I have them on 18" stands and it made a big difference.

I think the stands would do well, they are not quite large enough to do well on the floor. Thanks for the information, not sure if I will recap the crossovers yet.

As I recall, the foams are glued to the backs of the woofers. It's a little more difficult, but doable.

Finished up the refoams and was able to crank these babies up, they take a little power to get them going but once they are look out!

They turned out real nice, time to enjoy them. Thanks for everyones imput! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom