Realistic SA-100B Pre-Amp (maybe) Problems

Sorry to drag this out further. Hoping to finish my thesis, defend, and finish school over the next week or two, sorry, this sucker is going to have to wait a little longer.

Blast, I hope I haven't lost you forever! I defend my thesis tomorrow, then a few more papers, some other school work and this puppy will have my undivided (or less divided) attention. I'd say a week or so yet! It's sitting on my shelf, staring at me, it will get worked on!

While I was waiting I recapped mine:

201212305220-SA-100Bafterrecap1_zps38427b8f.jpg

Very nice!
I travelled to see some family and was away from mine, hence the long, long delay. I have another commitment for work coming up in a few days, that would keep me occupied for a week or two. I'm hoping to at least test the transformer before I get started with that. More to come, likely tomorrow.

So, I finally finished WAY too much traveling and sat down with the transfo and my multimeter.

The transformer has 4 wires on the secondary: two red, one black, and one white.

Red-Red: 38VAC
Red1-White: 25.6VAC
Red2-White: 12.3VAC
Red(both 1 and 2)-Black: 19VAC
White-Black: 6.7VAC

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for the patience/help!

You see 4 but the schematic shows 5 wires. Can you clarify?

Short of your answer it sounds like black is the center tap. If I remember correctly months ago you discovered what you thought was an imbalance in voltage. I asked if you had removed the diodes to rule them out as a cause. Can you find it again and identify the imbalance? Or, does it still exist?

There are definitely only 4, so nope, no clarification.
I disconnected the transformer from the amp completely, so that the circuit (which never really turns off) couldn't be causing the imbalance. I'm at something of a loss. Unless the white wire is supposed to be on the center tap, too. I checked the diodes, remember, they were fine, too. I haven't changed anything, really so the imbalance has to still be there. I just don't know why.

Let me clarify, there are 4 on the secondary, two on the primary. Anyway, I gave it some thought. The white, I'm pretty sure is just the V- for the light, it is on the power DPST, separate from the black. The black goes to the PCB ground. Which is to say, I guess it's balanced. Shoot! I was really thinking that was it. Maybe I'll try new diodes, which diodes would you recommend? Is there a different part I should try?

Between the amount of time that's gone by in this thread, other factors at play, communication limitations (mostly my own) and the fact I need to start worrying about my new transportation problems I will have to back out of the discussion. Maybe in the future when faster call and response is possible (and we can resolve some conflict of terms) we may be able to start from scratch. Until then I apologize, but I must back out.

Good luck in your quest.

Completely understand. Sorry for the month or so I stopped responding, it was an unavoidable situation, and I appreciate your help thus far.

Blast, do you have the schematic?
Could I have a copy of that?
Nevermind, realized I already had it!
Just need to figure out the specs on the diodes.

I replaced the PS cap with a 2200uF cap, and replaced both diodes with a pair of 1N4004s. It is better, the loud hum is gone, but there is still a loud static, it is equal in both channels and independent of volume. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom