Symphonic Poem after the play of René Morax
Arthur Honegger
Philippe Caillard Chorale and Instrumental Ensemble
Charles Dutoit, cond.

Musical Heritage Society via Erato

Uriah Heep - Uriah Heep Live
(1973, Mercury) G.K. in the deadwax - Gilbert Kong, mastering

uriah001.jpg

a nice live recording, the rhythm section really thunders; 2 LP set recorded on the 1973 UK tour

Mozart Piano Quartets in G minor and E flat major.
Budapest String Quartet, Mieczyslaw Horszowski.
CBS Masterworks Portrait. Made in Holland.

Nina Simone - Nina Simone With Strings
(1966, Colpix) Monarch symbol in the deadwax; Mono pressing

nina001.jpg

Yes there are strings here on some tracks but they are just accompaniment to Nina Simone's piano, and of course her voice is the showcase. "the strings follow Nina, never imposing or distracting from her phrasing, her timing or her instinctive "feel" for the song."

Mark Colby - One Good Turn
(1979, Tappan Zee/Columbia) w/ Steve Kahn, Steve Gadd, Eric Gale, Bob James

colby001.jpg

great straight ahead jazz fusion, no white wine glasses in sight. A really dynamic recording that really wakes up the JBLs.

The Doors - Absolutely Live
(1970, Elektra) 1970 pressing w/ butterfly label

doors001.jpg

The Doors first live album, compiled from performances in the US between August '69 and June '70. Six months later Morrison was dead. I finished watching a PBS broadcast of a 1968 European concert today, so I thought I give this a spin.

Dead rat in a top hat! Nice pick Dick!

whoa, had to look that one up, Rick. I've spun sides 1 & 2 and haven't heard that, although some pretty interesting bantering with the crowd from Morrison during When The Musics Over.

Really liked "No Matter What" from the No Dice, but they couldn't match the song that McCartney gave them - "Come And Get It". Wow, McCartney threw away better hit songs than anybody else could record.

Last edited:
Gave Ry Cooder's "Jazz" a spin last night...man, what a talent! Vintage, vintage stuff...lovingly re-created & recorded. Fun.
I never knew there was such a thing as a "bass saxophone"...but there it is!

Back
Top Bottom