Just received a Sanyo 2050 Receiver

Sorry, I don't have Pics yet, but it really sounds good! The JBL2600s (connected to Speakers B) did'nt have quite all the bass I had hoped, but I also connected some KLH 120 as Speakers A, and using both, the unit was very impressive. It has a large volume control in the middle that goes from 0 - 100. I never got it past 10 as it was too loud. Everything seems to work OK on this Sanyo 2050, but there are a few things that I noticed that seem a little unusual. To tune the FM, I found that it was better to turn off the FM Stereo, and then to tune in the station using the tuning meter. The Signal Strength meter seems to only work on some really loud and obnoxious AM stations. Once an FM station was tuned in though, after a few seconds, the green quartz-lock light would come on indicating that the station was locked, and then I switched it back to FM stereo. This was all using the built-in little FM tube Antennae on the rear of the unit. All of the function lights seem to work, but the radio dial is not lit, not even the selector needle. I've replaced light fuses on an old Superscope receiver in earlier days, but don't know if this one has lights that need to be replaced, or if that is just the way they were made. The Power meters, Signal Strength, and Tuning meters are all lit. Did I mention it sounds great! Even the wife and cats liked it! I've read some online info (what little I could find that suggest that this receiver is 50 WPC. That sounds about right. I'll get some pics and post later.

The ferrite bar is indeed the AM antenna. A simple piece of wire, ~3ft. will serve as an FM antenna, or you could hook up an indoor dipole.

I was lucky enough to be able to fix a Sanyo 2033 receiver for a guy I work with a while back, and found it be a pretty good unit.

The FM section wasn't anything special on that one, but my buddy has been happy with it since it's been fixed.

Use a decent antenna, and you should be fine.

Nice Sanyo. I used a Sanyo integrated amp for years and it had a great sound.

Reminds me of the Plus-55 receiver. Had one of those too, but the power switch was toast.

Thanks for the info about the AM Antenna. That would explain alot. I believe that I still have one of those old T wire antennas downstairs. I'll try it tonight.

More Pics

Cut off about 5 feet of some old 300 Ohm Antenna wire, and connected, and it works much better. This morning, I took off the covers to see If I could get the radio dial to light. At first, I could find no lights for the dial, but soon found some on the sides of the dial. I looked for blown fuses, but could not find any. I even removed the bottom. I then decided to check the voltages applied to the bulbs, and when I was checking the one on the left side, they all of a sudden came on. I re-inserted the lights to the sides, and they immediately went out again. I tried jumpering around one of the bulbs, and then the right hand bulb worked as they are wired in series. It looked ok, so I went ahead ans soldered a small jumper around the non-working bulb, until I can find a replacement (the bulb will have to be desoldered anyway).

Attachments

• DSCI0244.JPG
    DSCI0244.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCI0245.JPG
    DSCI0245.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCI0246.JPG
    DSCI0246.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCI0253.JPG
    DSCI0253.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCI0251.JPG
    DSCI0251.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCI0252.JPG
    DSCI0252.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 210
The cat thinks it's her new receiver. I figured out today that the signal strength meter only works for AM, and the Tuning meter only works for FM. I don't know if other vintage receivers are like that or if it is just a Sanyo thing.

Update: I noticed the other morning that the Signal Strength meter was also working on an FM station, but most of the time it does not. Not sure why...

Judging from the look, it is not a receiver that looks service person friendly. I don't think I would want to work on that one. If you have to really dig in, tell us what difficulties you encounter. I'd be curious.

I also have a Sanyo 2050 receiver. Works great, awesome sounds with my TT. First the signal strength meter and tuning meter should BOTH work for FM, while ONLY the signal meter should be working when in AM, yours in weird. Second the MHZ and KHZ range display should light up, not the dial or needle, the needle is mirror finish to contrast the lit display. Anyone know on the years this model was sold? What speakers would people recommend for a broke college student like me?

To pick up this thread I also have just got a 2050. It is very overbuilt and tank like(good thing). This is a sleeper reciever in my eyes, if you can get one at a good price, by all means do, it is a very nice reciever and a very powerful 50 watts. Crazy heavy for a 50 watt unit.

Back
Top Bottom