Sansui sp-1500

I see. The woofers are the very impressive. All alnico drivers I would assume? 3way, 5 drivers.

It feels as though would do pretty well as subwoofers. 50W max though.

I recieved a pair of SP-3500 last week compliments of Brainsmasher. Thanks Brian! I have always enjoyed the early Sansui speakers and these are no exception. While they do not have really low dynamic bass I love the midrange. Saxophones sound very nice in particular. Very warm and fluid.

cubdog

Being as this is a four year old thread, I wonder if he ever got them?

I grabbed a pair of SP-300s this week (12" woof, 7" horn meow, 2 3" horn tweets) but I haven't plugged 'em in yet.

Monday, I'll crack 'em open to list the caps (and order new Daytons), and give 'em a shout. I've read some good things about these from folks who have actually listened to them, so we'll see. If they work out well, they'll go to my daughter and son-in-law to replace his Cerwin Vegas Re 30s. I think the horns will make him a happy camper.

I've never been sure why Sansui speakers get such a bad rap. They have their faults as do all speakers but compared to the Pioneer CS series, for example, I find them to be far superior. If a sub is added to augment the low end they are very nice. I admit these have a sentimental value to me but I would still like them regardless.

cubdog

I've been listening to horns recently and thought these would sound great as bass bins with some horns and tweeters.

Any info for Bozak B 310?????

Anyone have any information on Bozak B 310 speakers? Are they a good investment? :scratch2:
Thanks.

Tweeters

Hi all My SP1500 's sound just great but they are a vintage sound. My brother inlaw who listens to almost all rap crap says they are to dark for his taste. I repeat HIS taste. He listens to all all bass and high freq. no mid range but I like the middle to sound nice with a splash of bass and High end and I listen almost entirely to Vinyl( old vinyl to boot):thmbsp: and he CD. His stuff when I listen is way to bright for MY taste . After all as someone said it's what sounds good to you.

I finally got a full set of tweeters on ebay! I also replaced the midranges with a mint set from the same buyer.

By the way, while the woofer magnets are not alnico, the midranges are. The woofers have 6 inch diameter ceramic magnets ( which is partially why the darned things weigh so much!!). They also sport nice 2 inch voice coils, large spiders, and thick but lightweight cones.

The earlier SP-2000 and SP-200 used alnico magnets on their woofers. The SP-200's cones were white, and I assume only 10-15 watts. The SP-2000s look identicle to the SP-1500 woofers, only with alnico mags on the back. I assume the SP-2000's are 20 watts just like the SP-1500, but I am not sure. Would be interesting to see if they are more efficient.

Sensitivity for the SP-1500's = 98db
SP-2000's = 102db
SP-3000's = 105db

It doesn't take much juice to light any of them up.

No kidding, I'm running mine off an old onkyo that has a pair of STK075 outputs, good for 15 watts RMS a side. They will definatly "light up" and then some :eek:

They have suprisingly good bass in my room, better than my neighbors HD440's. The bass is more like what it would be at a real concert, deep, present, and peaky where it should be ( 45-60hz region).

I just got a pair of sp-200 for $40 at goodwill (they are starting to look up prices before selling good stuff) I am loving Suis, and I am comparing them to the sp-2500x set I have. and they fall short, but sound good. Look almost identical, but the alnico magnets or not, the 2500x is crisper and more present. Maybe that giant 5" bass port ain't helpin either!!! Still beats out a lot of others.

My SP-100 woofers have heavy Alnico magnets. The upper bass seems to "fatten" the sound, and this is the area where the designers seem to have missed the boat. Cut down a few db at about 250 hz, I think the sound is quite good. I especially like the sound of the horn tweeter. Not harsh at all. It's all relative folks. Remember these are 35 or 40-year-old speakers.

For $5, I'm not complaining.

I had a pair of SP-1500's and was pretty impressed with their sound. The only start-up issue was the 4 tweeters, I had to buy a dozen to find 4 good ones, I sold the pair for $150 so I was happy with the return, Dave.

:worthless

Sansui_SP1500_02.jpg

Sansui_SP1500_01.jpg

Sansui_SP1500_03.jpg

I've got a set of SP 2000's I've been worrying over for a couple of months. I recapped em' with polys, added a AUDIOCAP PPT THETA .010uF bypass on the supertweet, Deoxed the L-pads(Might replace them with standard, variable L-Pads), and replaced that slug of a woofer with one that could move a little more air and they sound remarkable. I mean OUTSTANDING! You could hear a paper clip drop from a horn sections music stand. I run them side by side with my 4311's and to compare, well, it's hard to explain. The JBL's sound great as to be expected but the 2000's are just so very clean and clear. The recap was night and day. Trust me when I say if it's 15 or 20 years old, change the caps! Particularly when it comes to crossovers. That woofer, it just fails. Maybe with completely variable L-pads and a 31 band EQ plus a thousand watts RMS it might start to pump or blow. I just used a generic 12" with a rubber surround. I don't know, maybe 150 watt capacity and It probably has nowhere near the low/mid resonance of the JBL 2212 but I just don't miss it, because the mid/high end array of the 2000 goes low enough and is sooo efficient. Anyway, that is my impression and or opinion.
GB

Back
Top Bottom