Audiosource 7T Tripath amp (cheap)

bmc1973

I got this from the Magnepan forum - A liquidator of some sort is selling NIB Audiosource Tripath (200 wpc into 8 ohms and 325 wpc into 4 ohms) amps for $275 or best offer (I got mine for $225 - original list price is $699). They have ~40 available. These use the same Tripath chip found in the Sonic T-amp, Bel Canto Evo 200.2, Audio Research 150.2 and the Carver Pro ZR1000. In fact, they are pretty much identical to the Carver Pro ZR1000 - which retails for $1099.

Anyhoo, these are very rare as Audiosource only had a limited run of these amps due to RFI interference and the FCC regs. But PhoenixGold, who owns Audiosource and Carver, decided to rebrand it as the Carver Pro ZR series. I am awaiting delivery of mine, and will post my thoughts after burn in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120102996404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I bought one ... couldn't resist. I had really wanted one when they were released, but none were available due to the FCC fiasco. There is a diyaudio thread on these now, too, including an inside pic (looks pretty decent, and easy to mod). linky

cant be same ship

super t-amp is only 6 wpc. Same philosophy of design, most likely, and maybe same sound. Looks nice.

what, exactly, in liberal arts major speak, is the problem with them? i kinda getting to be a tripath nut, so please tell me...

couldn't resist, made 'em the $225 offer-- but what's the problem? the FCC shut 'em down because they were emitting too much radio frequency interference? did i correctly translate into liberal arts speak? will there be any problem with the amp at my home?

jon_s said:
I bought one ... couldn't resist. I had really wanted one when they were released, but none were available due to the FCC fiasco. There is a diyaudio thread on these now, too, including an inside pic (looks pretty decent, and easy to mod). linky

Thanks for the link, Jon. Nice to see the inside pic. I like how the OP described the sound right out of the box as "crystalline highs and tight bottom end" - pretty much how I would describe my T-amp.

shrinkboy said:
couldn't resist, made 'em the $225 offer-- but what's the problem? the FCC shut 'em down because they were emitting too much radio frequency interference? did i correctly translate into liberal arts speak? will there be any problem with the amp at my home?

Basically, you may have some interference with Channel 8 on your TV. Probably not that big of a deal.

jon_s said:
I had really wanted one when they were released, but none were available due to the FCC fiasco.[/url]

Can you cite where your info came from? I would like to read on how they were actually prevented from selling them.

As an aside, nearly every class-D amplifier has emissions off the speaker outputs that can blank radio reception on the AM band & sometimes FM too. That has not stopped virtually every car audio manufacturer from selling them.

soundmotor said:
Can you cite where your info came from? I would like to read on how they were actually prevented from selling them.

As an aside, nearly every class-D amplifier has emissions off the speaker outputs that can blank radio reception on the AM band & sometimes FM too. That has not stopped virtually every car audio manufacturer from selling them.

Linky

This does use the earliest revision of the highest power tripath chip, and was one of the first implementations, so it probably has more evil potential than a new design. Supposedly, the Audiosource design morphed into the Carver ZR (of course, it's probably close to the reference circuit anyways, so that doesn't mean too much).

bmc1973 said:
Basically, you may have some interference with Channel 8 on your TV. Probably not that big of a deal.

Sorry shrinkboy, no more Dale Hansen for you. :no:

dale hansen aka cabeza de puerco at my house, but of course, my TV come from satellite so i don't think i'll have any probs, pmsummer. i did go ahead and chomp on one of the high power tripaths, and might sell the big boy adcom....

jon_s said:
Linky

This does use the earliest revision of the highest power tripath chip, and was one of the first implementations, so it probably has more evil potential than a new design. Supposedly, the Audiosource design morphed into the Carver ZR (of course, it's probably close to the reference circuit anyways, so that doesn't mean too much).

Apparently not meeting FCC radiated emissions doesn't prevent the sale of an item though as a blow-out.

:confused:

Usually what that means is that the item can't carry a UL or CSA mark which may have be why they decided not to sell it. As those are voluntary rather than mandatory submissions I am surprised they just didn't go ahead with it.

My wife is bringing it home in a couple of hours (We had it shipped to her workplace). I'll post my early impressions after I run some Steely Dan through it later tonight.

tripath kaput?

I read a while ago they filed for bankruptcy, but were unable to pay the independent accountants to do any more work, and could not file FS anymore with SEC. CFO resigned under adark cloud. Their site is half down, no press room, no news releases, the employment page says no openings.

I would not want to have to buy a new tripath chip for an amp.

Back
Top Bottom