Pioneer SX-626

superultra

Hey,

I got a NOS, never fired up unit a while ago. I'd like to know what a fair price would be for this receiver. It has the box, cleaning cloth, antenna, two sets of speaker plugs, manual and paperwork indicating it is only for sale to US military personnel.

Thanks

Last edited:
+1, maybe $100.

I guess if you can find someone that thinks "never used" i a good thing, you may score big.

Capacitors that have been sitting that long without ever being used are probably in sad shape. Plugging it in then firing it up could be a bad thing.

I'd be leary of it.

Well hell. That's less than I expected. I've been listening to it for six months so I believe the capacitors are in good shape. I'm new to this, would there be a noticeable effect on the sound or is it more subtle? I really like the 626 and will probably keep it. The reason I'm asking is a guy has a sx-828 that looks clean and he says he's tested the main capacitors (they're up to spec) for $250.

The main improvement I'm looking for is I'd to pick up a weak station that I can't get cleanly with the 626. Also the 828 has a wood veneer and a bunch of switches. Do you think there will be a substantial difference between tuners? Do tuners exist that can turn a crusty signal into a clean one?

Thanks

Last edited:
The reason I'm asking is a guy has a sx-828 that looks clean and he says he's tested the main capacitors (they're up to spec) for $250.

IMO $250 would be extremely high for an SX-828 (much as I like that model). Personally I'd spend some money on a better antenna to get that station.

...I've been listening to it for six months so I believe the capacitors are in good shape...

I guess it's that time again, needing to explain the difference between NOS and not NOS. If you've been listening to it for six months, you can't list it as NOS! NOS is "New Old Stock". After more than maybe a day's worth of "testing", you can't really claim NOS. Six months of occasional use now makes it more like mint or mint+ with original packaging, FYI.

I purchased a 626 in good condition for $50. After listening to it, I think it needs a recap as the sound is not as clean as other Pioneer's I have owned. Output level is down as well.

Janik,

Thanks for the clarification but I was saying that when I purchased the receiver it was NOS. Now it is simply a ~35 year old receiver with 6 months of use.

Audiojones I'm using a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna. I live in an apartment so it's attached to my fire escape. Do you think a different tuner could make a substantial improvement in this case?

Thanks

Cool you came across a NOS Pioneer receiver......wonder what the price was for it 35 years ago....

According to ClassicAudio, it was $339 MSRP.

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/index.html

I agree, the SX-828 is a bit high, but it all depends on where you are for price.

I've found the 70s vintage Pioneer tuners to be the best.
I personally like the early 70s ones. (SX-990, SX-6000, SX-9000, etc...)

Living in an apartment with a fire escape makes me think of high density urban environment. Inner city? It may be that you are just in a bad spot for signal. Lots of metal around does mess with signals.

If you can get an antenna up on the roof would help...maybe. If you are in a short building surrounded by tall "sky scrapers", you may be just screwed.

FWIW, a lot of people pop in here and think they hit gold because they have what they think is an NOS unit. They usually don't like what they hear and leave. Turns out you are not one of them.

I've found that its more of a "luck of the draw" thing with vintage units on which ones have really good sensitive tuners. Not so much by make and model. Most work pretty well, but some have issues. They work but not really well.

Back
Top Bottom