Old DUX/Philips turntable

Kuno

Hello everyone.

I am new here, and living in Denmark. My main interest is in making music, and listening to stuff that is quite a bit away from the mainstream. I have been reading and reading on this forum for some weeks now. And have a question to ask:

I found an old DUX recordplayer the other day at a thriftstore, and I was jumping with joy because it is able to play 78s. :banana:

It has this strange cartridge that says:
22GP200
Philips
AH AN

And the stylus is switchable...but I don´t know why? When switched to the left it says LP/S and when it is switched to the right it says the same.:scratch2:

Do anyone know if it matters which side I use for playing 78s and which one for 33 or 45s? It seems to be playing 78s just fine, but I hope the stylus will not damage them...33s and 45s on the other hand is fine to, but it seems that only one of the channels are going through perfectly.

And is there a reason why everything seems to be in mono? I am thinking about opening it up soon...but I thought I would better ask first.

Sorry, if my english is a bit rusty.

Attachments

• MLNA0050.jpg
    MLNA0050.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 43
  • MLNA0025.jpg
    MLNA0025.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 75
The stylus has the same .07 mil tip on both sides. When one side is worn out, you flip it over and use the other side. The alternate (and more common) stylus would have a 3 mil tip on the flip side for 78 rpm records. (Don't use the .07 mil Lp stylus for playing 78's, as you will ruin it.) Have no idea why it sounds "mono". Does it have a mono/stereo switch and are the speakers wired properly to it?

VERY nice!
I have a special attraction to those Philips record players of the 1960s and 70s!
That cartridge was used in MANY, MANY Philips models of the period, and it came in chrome, silver, and white finishes.

You'll need a different stylus to play 78s as mentioned above.
Usually Philips marked them "M" in red for "minigroove" (16/33/45), and "N" in green for 'normal' (78).

A broken earth/screen wire in the arm, or where it connects to the amplifier board could cause mono-only playback.

Thanks a lot for the advise. :)

I had a feeling that the stylus wasn't made for playing 78s. Right now i am using one side for 78s and one for the normal microgroove recs.
It will only eat up the stylus, and not the 78s? I absolutely have to get me a stylus for those now that I've started listening to them. In the last week I have heard strange sounds coming out of my speakers, and allthough i have heard stuff like American Primitive from the Revenant Recs, I had no idea that such music is just laying around all over just waiting to be played again. :music:
I think that 78s are all mono, but I'm not sure though....

The built in amp to speakers is in dire need of getting the pots cleaned, so I am sending the signal to an Tandberg Sølvsuper 10. It took the muffled scratchiness away, but didn´t bring both channels out. The Tandberg has a mono switch, but not the player. It has only the pots, and two speaker din out and a 5 pin din out.
I'll try and check the earth wire :thmbsp:

I can think of a few that are stereo. Mainly oddities from the 70's and early 80's from Stiff Records and the Capitol/Liberty-EMI group.

Back
Top Bottom