Onkyo CP-1000A

fmueller

What do people around here think about Onkyo TTs, and particularly the CP-1000A?

The reason I am asking is that I recently bought one for $10 at a local thrift store. The label said: 'needs needle', and I figured it would be perfect for my purposes, because I didn't want it to listen to music, but just to put my records on and spin them while I was cleaning them. That to avoid putting undue strain on my other TTs (Dual 504 and Mitsubishi LT-20), as recommended in this article.

Having a closer look at the Onkyo, I realized that not only was there a stylus, but it looked in nice enough shape as far as the naked eye could judge. So I set it up and spun some records - and it sounds very nice! I'll definetely use it as long as I still have trouble getting the Dual 504 set up (that will be another thread), but I am starting to wonder, is the Onkyo too good to be used as a cleaning platform? It's not heavy, but it seems like a rather well made table. On the other hand, I really don't need a third TT - and I'd have to go find another cleaning platform :headscrat

Onkyo-CP-1000A-1.jpg

Onkyo CP-1000A for $10 from the thrift store after a good cleaning.

Onkyo-CP-1000A-2.jpg

The hinges for the dust cover have been broken off, and the dust cover was missing. However, I found another dust cover in the store that I got for free and it fits nicely on the CP-1000A.

Onkyo-CP-1000A-3.jpg

On the stylus it says 'ADC Series 1'. No label on the cartridge, so I guess it's whatever Onkyo put on the CP-1000A.

While it won't win awards, it is competent and will get the job done. I have a CP-1017A that really surprised me. I'd look for another junker for record cleaning. Of course, if you find something nicer, then this could be demoted to that function--but keep it intact.

I agree with Hak, it's to nice a TT to be cannibalized for a record cleaner. Keep looking for that platform. Two issues, one-you want a fairly heavy duty TT for a record cleaner; two, this looks like a nice lite arm that will work well with high compliance cartridges, so I'd think there is a lot more you can get out of this platform?

The ADC was/is and OK cartridge. Some were very nice. But, I might put on something different? However if it's playing well - spin it and have fun. You might post in the want-add section here to see if someone has a heavy duty TT that would make a good record cleaner and be willing to trade for the Onkyo?

Some interesting thoughts - many thanks! I have also been wondering if a direct drive TT would be better suited as a cleaning platform - no belt to wear out. Or is there something else that I am missing about direct drive?

Frank

No, your thinking is good. Good old cheap DD is a good way to go. High torque and not much chance of fluid getting on belt to cause slippage :)

Back
Top Bottom