Bicycle tires..."premium" vs. hardware store?

More important than the tires themselves is how you inflate them. A slick or semi-slick will need much more air pressure than your old knobbies... you'll have less rolling resistance and a smoother ride and a bike that handles better.

Lots of sound advice here. Get the $60 tune-up. Consider getting tires with a Kevlar belt, even though most of my punctures have come from sidewall nails and pinch flats (under inflation, my bad).

My favorite city/atb tires are IRC Metro Kevlar slicks (I run 1.5" and 2") and Continental Town & Country, 1.75" (bike cops like 'em, too).

Oh, and before you hit the road, study this site. I promise you it will make you happier and safer.
http://www.cyclingsavvy.com/

IRC Metros here, too. Several years without an issue, but time for replacement. I'll get Metros again.

Oh, and Kevlar BELTS, not beads. For 99% of riding, Kevlar beads are a waste of money and a royal pain in the arse.

UPDATE:

Bike shop called, it's done. Picking it up sometime this week.

Just went with tires the shop had on hand for mid-grade city tire. I believe they are Kenda Kwest, 26 x 1.5, in the high pressure (100 psi) version.

Back
Top Bottom