Society of Audio Consultants

Brian

An Old Geezer
Anyone else here ever ever certified by the Society of Audio Consultants? An organization in the '70s started by some of the big names in audio from the '50s and up and located in NYC. The corporate status was revoked in 1996 according to public records and started in 1973. At the time, it and the Boston Audio Society were some of the best industry organizations though they somewhat overlapped; one being towards the industry and end user and the other concentrating on the marketing function of sales.

When it first started, I took the exam before they started offering the courses and had certificate NH-1 (New Hampshire and first certificate awarded).

It was a neat organization and if active with it you got to meet a lot of persons well placed, got the inside dope on upcoming product, marketing and sales information. Joseph, the President got a lot of press in Billboard Mag for it and the International Expo the companion permanent showroom he had in NYC for years.

I remember them. Took the test, paid for the certificate then promptly left the audio industry when those new-fangled microcomputers thingies caught my attention about 1978/9 or so. Never looked back from a career standpoint and rode the computer wave instead.

Have never lost my love and wonder for great audio gear, though, only now I can afford to dabble with it at my leisure.

Cheers,

David

When I had my stores, I offered to pay any employee to join and take the exam. So, it would be no cost to them, just time. I did not make it a requirement for employment. Only one took me up and he flunked the exam even after taking the courses. Did it put his employment in question; no way. He was one of my highest producing salespersons and had the least amount of neutral or negative feedbak from customers. He could point out the smallest of differences in sound of systems and seemed to intuitively put systems together that had great synergy, tough thing to do. I had him audition and put together the stores' prepackaged systems. He could put together a system we sold for $299 that sounded as good as our competitors' $1,000 systems. I on the other hand could not close a sale on a hand warmer to a freezing eskimo though I could keep up with him in the other ways with ease.

I was certified, and still have the course in it's original box somewhere. The certificate got misplaced along the way though.

Regards,
Jim

My certification (#3-3740) expired in 1977. I still have my certificate which is laminated on wood grained fiberboard.

"Be it known that those shown here have completed an intensive technical course of study dealing with the design features of high fideity components and or passed a rigid examination. The Society of Audio Consultants deems these individuals qualified both in experience and knowledge to be certified as professional audio consultants"

Signed by: Leonard Feldman and Jerry Joseph

1977 was a strange year for me, because I moved from Idaho to Hawaii. After standing in line for 8 hours to get a new license plate (waited until the last day of the month). I was issued a Hawaii tag with same last four numbers as the plate on my car which was issued in Idaho (Idaho 7661 & Hawaii 8F-7661). I couldn't believe what I went through that day just to end up with those same numbers. I remember feeling spooked that entire year and made it a point not to fly. After the year passed, I felt relieved and that anything negative had been averted. I considered these plates my good luck charms and have them hanging over the door in the garage 34 years and counting.

Last edited:
Don't need no certification to ROCK!!!!! No really I wasn't even in the U.S. back then, what is this cert. you speak of?

Back in 69, as an airman in the Air Force, I lost my entire check gambling in a card game. That evening as I walked back to the barracks, a $5 bill blew across my path. I believe it was a gift from the Lord and a lesson to learn. I never gambled again. Nope, I don't play the lottery.

If you were based at Pease AFB in Portsmouth NH, that was my $5 bill. It blew out of the torpedo tube of the sub stationed at the Naval Shipyard. Let's see with interest and inflation that's $59,234,098,000.00 you owe me. :).

If you were based at Pease AFB in Portsmouth NH, that was my $5 bill. It blew out of the torpedo tube of the sub stationed at the Naval Shipyard. Let's see with interest and inflation that's $59,234,098,000.00 you owe me. :).

Am I to assume you were a bubblehead? The closest I got to Pease was Loring AFB, Maine. My last gambling lesson ocurred in tech school at Chanute AFB, IL.

Yep. I was. For those unfamiliar with the term, it is a submariner. I joined the Navy rather than the Air Force as I figured it was better to be the guy picking up pilots who bailed out when their flying machines did not work than the pilot.

Am I to assume you were a bubblehead? The closest I got to Pease was Loring AFB, Maine. My last gambling lesson ocurred in tech school at Chanute AFB, IL.

Ran Tool, Ill-noise.

Man did they ever hate us. I talked to fellow that was stationed there right before the 2nd WW, (I think it was) and he described it (and the inhabitants) just the way it was 25 years later when I was there.

Best Regards,
Terry

Last edited:
When I was in the Army, since I was in the intelligence community I was always assigned to tri-service installations, so army, navy, air force and marines were always together.

We referred to navy generally as "squids", and submariners as "sewer-pipe sailors". :D

Air force were "zoomies", and we were referred to as "bird-legs" because we bloused our fatigues into the top of our combat boots.

Have no idea if any of those are still in use. :dunno:

Edit: Btw, I think Rantoul closed several years ago.

When I was in the Army, since I was in the intelligence community I was always assigned to tri-service installations, so army, navy, air force and marines were always together.

We referred to navy generally as "squids", and submariners as "sewer-pipe sailors". :D

Air force were "zoomies", and we were referred to as "bird-legs" because we bloused our fatigues into the top of our combat boots.

Have no idea if any of those are still in use. :dunno:

Edit: Btw, I think Rantoul closed several years ago.

Yes, they still use fatigues.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yep. I was. For those unfamiliar with the term, it is a submariner. I joined the Navy rather than the Air Force as I figured it was better to be the guy picking up pilots who bailed out when their flying machines did not work than the pilot.

Maybe, but you guys left more subs on the bottom of the Sea, than we ever left planes in the sky!
:D

Seriously, let's lift a glass in memory of those who have gone before us.

Best Regards,
TerryO

you're gonna have to believe me on this one, but I used to be able to see my face in the toe of those boots...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-11-11_19-49-17_171 (Medium).jpg
    2011-11-11_19-49-17_171 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
you're gonna have to believe me on this one, but I used to be able to see my face in the toe of those boots...

attachment.php

My boots are long gone, but I'm not sure I'd want to see my face anyway.

Time is a great healer, but a lousy beautician!

Best Regards,
Terry

Back
Top Bottom