Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Been slim pickings here
only thing this week has been a,
Technics SL-1610 with pickering XV-15 cart-D400 stylus
at SVDP $10, over all in nice shape

FINALLY I have something to add other than blank tapes and LPs. It's not an SX-1980 for 99¢, but it's not the worst thing I've ever donated $9.99 for:

CT-F505Face.jpg

FINALLY I have something to add other than blank tapes and LPs. It's not an SX-1980 for 99¢, but it's not the worst thing I've ever donated $9.99 for:

CT-F505Face.jpg

A CT-F500, i had one of those when i was about 18, solid simple well made deck if it works after all these years.

Actually, it's a CT-F505. I don't know what the difference might be. I have a CT-F500 already, and it's identical except it has silver and white treatment for the vU meters instead of black. Also, this is a product of Japan instead of Korea. Beyond that, they seem identical, and this one has all functions working fully.

Actually, it's a CT-F505. I don't know what the difference might be. I have a CT-F500 already, and it's identical except it has silver and white treatment for the vU meters instead of black. Also, this is a product of Japan instead of Korea. Beyond that, they seem identical, and this one has all functions working fully.

You know, all those years ago when i bought the 500 brand new i don't think i ever looked where it was made !

Found 2 rtr tapes at GW today. At first, I thought the CTA tape was only volume one until I opened the box and found the labels for both Vol. 1 & 2. Turns out the previous owner spliced vol. 2 onto the vol. 1 tape. Now it plays side one of vol. 1 & 2 and side 2 of vol. 1 & 2. Make it very convenient as I don't have to search for vol. 2.

Picture19.jpg

Sure wish I could luck up and find a R2R tape of any sort - I picked up a Teac deck a few weeks ago and have it all cleaned up and ready to roll, BUT I don't have any tape and I never seem to find any EXCEPT on Flee Bay and they appear to be pretty pricey - I'd hate to spend more on a tape than on the deck - I only paid $11.20 for the deck with my old fart discount at our local GW.

Rosen, it's total luck, but it helps if you go look during the day, rather than in the evening. The best time to look in Goodwill is after they roll the carts of crap out on the floor, but before they put the stuff on the shelves. They don't care if people look through the carts, and a lot of times there's good stuff buried in there. I've had the best luck between around 10AM and noon. Heavy traffic thrift stores get busy between 12-1 because people will go there on their lunch breaks. So go at 11 and you can pick through the stuff before 100 other people have.

Yesterday I found a Marantz 6300 turntable (missing the feet but I already have a solution in the works) in very good working condition, except that the dust cover is going to need some polishing, and it will need a new cartridge (or at least a new stylus). The cartridge installed in the picture is not what came with the unit, but something that I put on so I could test it. The dustcover isn't pictured because I removed and washed it. There are a couple of minor blemishes in the wood veneer, but overall the unit looks very good. I need to clean it a bit more. I already cleaned the speed adjustment pots with DeOxit and they work great. Motor holds speed perfectly.

picture.php

Also found a nice pair of KLH 911B bookshelf speakers. Not the greatest speakers in the world, but I was looking for a small pair for a second audio system that I was setting up, and apparently EVERYONE on Craigslist in my area who's selling speakers think that they're sitting on a pot of gold. I didn't have any extra speakers at all, so this set will do nicely until I find a better set down the road. The speakers are in my living room, hooked up to a Pioneer SX-990 that I got about a month ago at another Goodwill for $10 (it required about $15 in additional parts to get working, including making some custom speaker cables to get past the fact that I don't have those dopey proprietary speaker plugs). I have the Dual 502 TT that I bought from Chicks hooked up to it, and that cost me $30, so I got a the whole system for around $60 total. One I get the 6300 TT all set up though, it's probably going to replace the 502 that I have out here.

picture.php

Also found 3 LPs. Dire Straits' self-titled album, "Poolside" by Nu Shooz, and "The Captain & Me" by The Doobie Brothers.

Turntable was $15, speakers were $6, and the albums were $2 each. Both the turntable and the speakers were found in the aforementioned carts at Goodwill. Someone was actually holding the TT up on the ledge of the cart with one hand while trying to dig some piece of black plastic crap out of the cart with his other hand. He was more than happy to let me relieve him of the TT. While carrying it back to a table where I could put it down and inspect it, I saw the speakers in another cart, and managed to wrestle them out of there while never letting go of the 6300.

Chris

WOW - great finds - they cleaned up really well - I love the Marantz TT :thmbsp:

CT-F505Face.jpg

I like that deck. Simple design and very late '70s/early '80s. The white hubs are cool, too. Nice find.

Spent the last 2 days with my brother treasure hunting. Only thing I found was a Nakamichi CDC-300 cd player for 19.99. But it was great time looking, and spending time with my Bro.
We did find a hi end stereo place in Green Bay Wisconsin.
Got to hear some Martin logans Wow!!!
It was great to talk about stereo equipment with people that knew what we were talking about. Saw high end Yamaha-onkyo, Tannoy...just fun to this stuff...

Last edited:
Right yesterday via an online-ad :

- early 1970s Sony TA-1144 Amp in excellent condition. Paid nothing.

Five days ago :

- h/k hk560. Needs to be repaired, but no big effort I think. Paid nothing.

Fossicking through the records today I picked out 2 signed records by Slim Dusty:scratch2:.
If your not an aussie you will probably not have heard of him.
Big in Australia country scene.

A guy walks out from the back and asks if I'm interested in some music books:thmbsp:.
He brings out a milk crate and a half of books that had just come in.
$2 each.
The Beatles Book monthly No 7 Feb 1964.
Teenbeat annual 1965
The guiness book of British albums
Swinging sixties
The age of rock
The Uncyclopedia of rock
The encyclopedia of rock
The billboard book of number one adult contemporary hits
Call up the groups
Rock Lives
When the music mattered, Rock in the 60's
Behind the rock
US top 40 hits 1955 to present
Britains all time favourite hits
Vintage jukeboxesThe rolling stones
Rock'n'roll decades
Rolling stone rock almanac
They died to young
Who's who in rock and roll
The record producers
The new rock'n'roll
Rock handbook
The Rolling Stones singles collections
The Rolling Stones It's only rock'n'roll
Rock explosion
Grateful Dead What a long and strange trip
Illustrated rock almanac
Rock'N'Roll memorabilia

Found a mint Sony CDP-507ESD CD player languishing on the shelf at the SA. 20 clams later and she was mine. Works perfectly and sounds great. Thats two ES pieces in about three days.

One of the best finds I came across was an Technics SL-1810 for FREE!! Locally we have a forum called freecycle. Everything is for free on it but the majority of the stuff is old kids clothes, furniture and books. But every once and awhile something good pops up and you better be ready to go get it!
The table was in GREAT condition minus the broken stylus. I gave it a good cleaning, a cardas rewire, a tonearm dampening and a new Shure M91ED cart and stylus. I couldn't be more happy with my table after investing a massive $55 dollars!

I have attached a pic..

Attachments

• sl-1810 logo.jpg
    sl-1810 logo.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 145
  • sl-1810 closeup 2.jpg
    sl-1810 closeup 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
One of the best finds I came across was an Technics SL-1810 for FREE!! Locally we have a forum called freecycle. Everything is for free on it but the majority of the stuff is old kids clothes, furniture and books. But every once and awhile something good pops up and you better be ready to go get it!
The table was in GREAT condition minus the broken stylus. I gave it a good cleaning, a cardas rewire, a tonearm dampening and a new Shure M91ED cart and stylus. I couldn't be more happy with my table after investing a massive $55 dollars!

I have attached a pic..

Fine turntable for free, built like a tank, great catch !!

Gotta love when you can leave GW with 10 or more CDs at a buck a piece.

92176895.jpg

Just think about it: All the crappy CDs ten years ago that you found at GW or in the clearance section were at least 5 bucks. Now you can get some great stuff for a buck at places like GW and HPB. I've stocked up on about 30+CDs at both places for a buck a piece. It's nice that I can build up my analog and digital music collection. The CDs all get ripped on the computer, placed in a CD case, and the jewel cases go into a storage bin as space on the shelf is limited to records and books.

Was at the local thrift and snagged a nice Technics SA-505 that had some issues. They were going to toss it but I was able to save it for nada :D Took it home and pulled it apart, deoxit, clean, ect... and now it's singing wonderfully. Impressive little piece at 63 wpc

Cambridge Audio Azure 340a integrated amp, with remote and manual. It all works ... $15.

I'll do the :banana: for that!

Back
Top Bottom