Advent "Laureate", anyone own them?

Greyhawk17

Howdy,
Local person selling a pristine pair of Advent Laureate towers, nice looking
speakers....Does anyone know anything about these, or own a pair,? I have
never heard this particular Advent, although I have a couple pairs of earlier
Advents, Thanks in advance.......Cheers!

Made by Jensen around the early 90s

dual 6" woofers and a soft dome tweeter. They are very good sounding speakers especially if you are tight on space.

If you can get them for under 50 bucks and all drivers work, I'd go for it. If you can get them under 80 bucks with refoamed woofers and working tweeters, go for it.

The woofers were the same ones used in the baby advent series. If the woofers don't look like these:
attachment.php

Don't buy em!

and of course, the most important thing is how they sound to your ears. I have a small integrated amp i take with me along with a portable CDP if I'm really serious about buying speakers. They probably aren't on par with the real original advents, but they are damn good contenders!

happy hunting.

I've enjoyed the Advent/Jensen period speakers like these.

An often overlooked period, the models like the Legacy, the Maestro, the 6003, the Laureate, and others are still fine speakers indeed.

The Baby advents are an impressive and under-rated smallish speaker, often being sold for $20 to $40.

The larger models rarely go over $100, usually in the $50 to $80 range, with the occasional Maestro going for $100 to $150.

But that price is not common.

Legacys should sell for $20 to $80, max.

Advent Laureate

Howdy Again,
Thanks to both you for the reply, will go check these out ASAP, they are
supposedly like 'new'.....Currently have both the "baby" Advents, and a nice
pair of Legacy ll's, extremely smooth speakers, the "babies' are perhaps the
most surprising/satisfying for a 'small' speaker, up on stands, excellent!......
Cheers!.........

It seems like my Laureates have 4x replacement woofers. They look lik GRS....sold at Parts Express.....2 odd tweeters screwed in behind the Advent tweet covers...one is a ground down Cerwin Vega...the other is a generic titanium tweeter......

Last edited:
If they are truly in pristine condition, and have all of the original drivers, I'd go for it if the price was no more than $100. I've got the Legacys, prodigys, and a couple sets of babys and they are all surprisingly good for their size. Good looking, and great bang for the buck.

Similar to the Advent Heritage model which I own. The Heritage has dual 8 " woofs and the Laureate has dual 6.5" woofs. Great sounding speakers. Nice tight bass. I use my Heritage as front mains on my HT set up. I have yet to find other speakers that will unseat them.

Last edited:
Ours still need refoaming, but they still sounded very nice, despite being played for 30 seconds at low volume. Can't wait to hear them at their full potential.

I have a pair of Advent Maestros in excellent condition. I even got the original boxes with them when I bought them. I refoamed them and I think they are excellent speakers. I have a pair of the original large Advents and I think the Maestros are far better. I have Altec/Lansing, Advent, Dahlquist and various Kabuki type speakers and I think the Maestros are as good as any of them except the Dahlquist which are better. I know the Maestros are not anything like the Laureate, but I was just commenting on the overall quality of the "Jenson" era Advents.

If they are truly in pristine condition, and have all of the original drivers, I'd go for it if the price was no more than $100. I've got the Legacys, prodigys, and a couple sets of babys and they are all surprisingly good for their size. Good looking, and great bang for the buck.

+1!! :thmbsp:

I have a pair of Advent Maestros in excellent condition. I even got the original boxes with them when I bought them. I refoamed them and I think they are excellent speakers. I have a pair of the original large Advents and I think the Maestros are far better. I have Altec/Lansing, Advent, Dahlquist and various Kabuki type speakers and I think the Maestros are as good as any of them except the Dahlquist which are better. I know the Maestros are not anything like the Laureate, but I was just commenting on the overall quality of the "Jenson" era Advents.

I have the Maestros too. I think they were the only 3 way model of Advent. Not a Henry Kloss design though they are decent but I still prefer the two way Advents.

Hi

I ran into a pair of Advant Laureates at the local thrift shop for 30.00. The woofers needed the surround but everything else was pretty solid.

I have never redone a speaker cabinet but I really dig how they turned out using Minwax water based china red stain and their glossy clear.

For the record I don't know much about vintage audio equipment or speakers but I would love to. I guess I'm in the right place:)

Check it out:

Attachments

• AdvantLaurete.jpg
    AdvantLaurete.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 601
I ran into a pair of Advant Laureates at the local thrift shop for 30.00. The woofers needed the surround but everything else was pretty solid.

I have never redone a speaker cabinet but I really dig how they turned out using Minwax water based china red stain and their glossy clear.

For the record I don't know much about vintage audio equipment or speakers but I would love to. I guess I'm in the right place:)

Check it out:

Super cool look :thmbsp:

Please remember not to use them until all of the drivers have been properly refoamed. You risk damaging the voice coils of the drivers.

Thanks for the tip. I have not used them yet. I'm still redoing the second one. I'll wait a day or two to use them.

I have a set of those in the "on deck circle".
Really nice warm sounding speakers. They will benefit from a recap. I personally like the natural solid pecan top and front baffle, but I like what you did with the red too,

These would fit squarely into my 'regret selling' pile of gear. I had a pair but sold them due to a move. Dang, I really liked the size, looks and sound of the Laureates.

Back
Top Bottom