Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Would you be willing to list out a BOM, with parts that you'd order (from Mouser or wherever?) like you did for the CNC? I found that quite helpful when ordering as Mouser and Digikey are scary places for someone like me (who has no idea what is a good or bad cap, resistor, etc.).

+1
I agree,that would be great help.

Regards,
Sachin

Qty X Part No: > Description

2 X ECW-F2225JA > CAP FILM 2.2UF 250VDC RADIAL
2 X EEU-FC1E101S > CAP ALUM 100UF 25V 20% RADIAL
2 X K104Z15Y5VF5TL2 > CAP CER 0.1UF 50V RADIAL
1 X AD823ANZ > IC OPAMP JFET R-R DUAL LN 8DIP
1 X ED90105-ND > IC SOCKET 8PIN .300 SOLDER TAIL
1 X SSL-LX5093IT > LED 5MM RED TRANSPARENT
3 X ERO-S2PHF8201 > RES METAL FILM 8.20K OHM 1/4W 1%
2 X RNMF14FTC10K0 > RES MF 1/4W 10K OHM 1% AXIAL
2 X ERO-S2PHF1003 > RES METAL FILM 100K OHM 1/4W 1%
2 X RNF14FTD100R > RES MF 1/4W 100 OHM 1% AXIAL

These are manufacturers part numbers so they should work with Digikey and Mouser except for the 10k and 100 ohm resistors. The extra 8.2k resistor is for use with the LED.

Alternatives from Mouser are:
2 x CMF5510K000FHEK > 1/4watt 10Kohms 1%
2 x CMF55100R00FHEB > 1/4watt 100ohms 1%

Last edited:
Hypno, would you be able to post an actual schematic of the CNC PCB? Like I said, I am doing things the hard way, and may even change things around so each channel is on its own op-amp chip. Sorry if I missed the schematic somewhere in this thread, but all I see are PCBs, and they are hard to visualize as a schematic.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, cool, thank you. This thread is getting a little unwieldy to sift through... Unfortunately I'm adding to that by posting this. :scratch2:

This sure has changed from the original build with 6 OpA and a projected build price of over $100!!!

Bless you, (All whom are involved)

Ron

Qty Value ------ Device------------- Parts
2 X 0.1uF/50V -- Ceramic-025X050---- C9, C10
2 X 2.2uF/100V - Poly-062X184 ------ C19, C20
2 X 8K2 -------- .25W, 1% MFR ------ R28, R30
2 X 10K -------- .25W, 1% MFR ------ R27, R29
2 X 10uF/35V ---- Electrolyte Cap -- C11, C12
2 X 100 -------- .25W, 1% MFR ------ R31, R32
2 X 100K ------- .25W, 1% MFR ------ R33, R34
1 X AD823 ------ AD823OP AMP ------- IC3

Ok, so I built a really unconventional CNC preamp, and it might be biting me in the ass. Instead of running both channels through both chips, I split them up so each one only handles one channel. In addition, it is all point to point circuitry using the component leads. Lastly, for the ground, I put in a solid sheet of copper about an inch below the main board, and any components that go to ground, I dropped the leads through the board and soldered them right to the copper sheet.

It sounds good, but it is a little noisy. Anyone have any ideas why? At high volumes there is kind of a rustling noise. Maybe I should have stuck to a PCB. :scratch2:

The chips are going to have far better channel separation than any cart that will be run thru them. That dead side may be part of the problem.

What do you mean, dead side? Both sides of the chip are in use, it's just that one side is used for the channel's first stage, and the other side handles the second stage.

Anyway, I swapped chips side to side, and it looks like I just have a noisy op-amp. I noticed that the noise was only coming from the left side, but after swapping, it is only coming from the right. Wouldn't have been able to do that with the conventional layout. ;)

I knew I should've gotten an extra, but I didn't want to shell out the $6. :(

I have noticed some op amps do have a rustling sound and some don't, you would think they would have better quality control.

I'm not going to guarantee that it wasn't damaged by handling. After all, technically we should all have grounding straps on when handling these. I believe that ICs can be damaged by far less static discharge than you can actually feel. Anyway, now that it actually works, I don't feel so embarrassed to post pictures of this monstrosity. :D

Yes, it's weird looking, but that's part of the fun. If you're going to build something yourself, why have it look like it came out of a factory? The switch is going to get moved a little bit. I plan on cutting a piece of lexan to cover the front of the box, and the switch will be mounted onto that.

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04993.jpg

DSC04996.jpg

I agree completely. These things are usually not bad out of the box. I didn't think it was the chip, but I decided to swap chips side to side, and sure enough, it changed from the left to the right.

I'm not going to guarantee that it wasn't damaged by handling. After all, technically we should all have grounding straps on when handling these. I believe that ICs can be damaged by far less static discharge than you can actually feel. Anyway, now that it actually works, I don't feel so embarrassed to post pictures of this monstrosity. :D

I completely FRIED an MSB Link DAC III with a touch in winter. By fried I mean when I pulled back from touching it, I could hear the circuits sizzling. I could hear it! It was completely dead.

I sent it back for repair and put in a grounding plate that got touched before any of my equipment. Now in winter a humidifier runs as long as I am not listening.

Hi all,

I have just received PCBs for CNC and SSP. . .

I am going to PM everyone who have shown interest for boards.

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin, PP sent, your receipt confirmation received. Thanks from all of us.

Hi all,
I will try to ship max boards tomorrow,remaining will be sent day after.

Regards,
Sachin

Back
Top Bottom