Yamaha CR-820 lights out

retrodude

Hey all,
just picked up a cr-820. after cleaning some contacts, all is well, sounds sweet. the only thing is the lights are out-all of them. I see the red & white wires that go to the 3 bulbs near the meters- all filimets look toasted, so I assume the voltage is there. question: anyone have exp with changing these bulbs & where to find them? also, do the bulbs come wired? it looked like they are hard wired. the needle light looks like a bear to change, any thoughts?
thanks

The A-690 issue does not apply here. The 820 and some of the others in the series have bulbs that are wired in series. I forget which but the meter bulbs come to mind. IIRC they are a bit of a pain and that is why I did not bother with my CR-820.

The 820 uses 12V 60mA bulbs (four) as in addition to the three around the meters there is one in the dial pointer. Use a good Philips #0 screwdriver bit to remove those two little screws atop the pointer because if you strip them they are not an easily obtainable size. Dave(dgwojo) can get you the bulbs.

After reading a lot of opinions here I bought a recapped Yamaha CR-820. I have replaced the lamps with 12v 60mA bulbs get from a local store. Everything went fine but one lamp is much brighter than the others. Did I something wrong? I soldered the wire directly to the board because the bulbs came with long wire, better solution than connect with the old wire.

Picture about the lights:http://i.minus.com/i3JjfToONddy5.jpg

check the rating of the bright bulb ..

I am new to electronics. There are no info on the bulbs and I don't have any device to measure them. I bought a spare bulb so I've replaced the bright one to this but nothing's changed. (Or accidentally I have two higher rated lamps.)

Maybe I messed up the wiring but I have the schematic and checked many times the connections. Is it possible that the bulbs are lighting but the wiring is incorrect? As I know they are in series connection.

I'd make sure all are identical and replaced at once to assure proper series circuit operation, most lamp sellers don't do that. :no:

checked many times the connections

Problem solved! Silly mistake: I swapped the L3 and L4 connections. On the schematics the connections comes like 1, 2, 4, 3 and I missed it. Anyway, I'm a newbie here, it was amazing how helpful and quick you are. Thanks. :music:

Wow, this thread is still open! :) So I tried to fix the lights in my CR-820, and I got the dial pointer open. No sweat.
But, when I set the receiver on its side, this tiny piece of plastic comes falling out somewhere. Does anyone know where it belongs? It measures about 20x5.2x1.4mm and it's translucent green. (.8 x .2 x .06 " for my american friends :)).
Thanks so much for your thoughts on this!

Triple necro! o_O

Just working on the lamps of a CR-820 over here and I've got 2 of the VU lamps working, but the 3rd one won't light up. I tested the L posts with my voltmeter and L3 doesn't seem to be online. Excuse the layman's terms but when I connect the voltmeter between any two of the other posts it beeps, but then when I put it between L3 and any other post, there's no beep. The board already had some work done in the past and the old lamps had been left tucked out of the way and out of order when I got the unit. Coincidentally, there were 2 (non working) bulbs for the VUs left wired in, connected to the working L posts and then the one pair of VU wires connected to L3 and L1 with no bulb. There was also no bulb on the tuner which happens to have one wire connected to L3 as well. This suggests whoever did the previous work knew something was up with L3 and decided to leave it as is, possibly because it was over their head? No way to know.

I was wondering if it would be ok to just desolder the wires from L3 and then connect them to one of the other working posts, or does each post have just enough juice for it's assigned connections, in other words, is it important to wire things exactly how they were done in the factory? I dread having to remedy a non working L post as that sounds like a job for a tech. I do know one, so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but a simple solution would be preferred!

Cheers

I replied to your email, two series circuits, bulbs must match each other, don't mess up, there's over 20 volts going to each series circuit, I sent you an email with the wiring diagram for posts L1, L2, L3, and L4, hope it helps, Dave.

For anyone else out there who might come across this issue, to quote Dave's email "L2 and L3 are junctions to join the pairs of lamps, nothing will show up on L3 until the dial pointer lamp is connected as I mentioned in the prior reply, all four lamps need to be connected to get voltage to all four lamps, these units are like the old Christmas lights, one out and the series is out, let me know how it goes."

This is why nothing was showing up on L3. I didn't have them all connected. Once I did they lit up like a wheat colored xmas tree :cool:

Thanks again, Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_211612.jpg
    IMG_20240119_211612.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 5
I actually have the same: 2 Vu lamps are ok, dial bulb is ok, but the middle Vu-lamp does not light up. Thosre 3 VU-lamps were out so I changed all those. After noticed the middle-guy is no lighting, checked the bulb, and its wiring: putting 6volt battey connected to the pins on board, so bulb and wiring is ok, and all other bulbs are ok. And no amp-shutting-pop on speakers. So, I'll live with this but strange anyway. in pictures takinng is hard to notice middle-man not living along...

aaaaaaaaa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom