McIntosh MC2505 very curious

Nikko75

Listener and Music Lover
I am wondering where the MC2505 stands as far as sound quality and reliability. I have no experience with that amplifier.:scratch2:

I've had one since 1971 and it's been in the shop once. It's been a daily player in one capacity or another. It's probably one of three or four amps that were the most popular in it's day and they still get a lot of attention today.

This was one of the first SS amps that McIntosh built and the sound is one of three reasons I bought the amp. The other two were the three year warranty (unheard of at that time) and looks.

I've been told at an amplifier clinic they tried to voice it like a tube amp. IMHO they succeeded admirably. There were something like 11-12K sold so they must have done something right. :)

The only caution I can think of is it should be serviced if it hasn't been already. To modernize the caps and such.

I had one for a long time. Took it to a Mac clinic, way back when, and it tested at 73 watts per channel.

SQ is very representative of the ol Mac sound.

Reliability, well it's closing in on 40 yrs old. I would have a tech check it out and it will probably last another 40.

I had one for a long time. Took it to a Mac clinic, way back when, and it tested at 73 watts per channel. Reliability, well it's closing in on 40 yrs old. I would have a tech check it out and it will probably last another 40.

A few months ago after sorting through the aftermath of an interstate move, I hooked up the 2505 and it sounded good.. and ran fine after all these years without ANY signs of malfunction. It could use a good servicing including caps, deoxing and lube. The sheet metal screws had turned green but are shined up now. When switching to the 2205 however, it becomes apparent there was a whole different level of power and sound quality present. The 2505 is still a fine specimen of electronics from the early Solid State era!!

-Gregory

A few months ago after sorting through the aftermath of an interstate move, I hooked up the 2505 and it sounded good.. and ran fine after all these years without ANY signs of malfunction. It could use a good servicing including caps, deoxing and lube. The sheet metal screws had turned green but are shined up now. When switching to the 2205 however, it becomes apparent there was a whole different level of power and sound quality present. The 2505 is still a fine specimen of electronics from the early Solid State era!!

-Gregory

Gregory,

We were on similar paths. I noticed a big difference also when I got my 2205. I really loved that amp. Next was the 2255, not so different.

What has been your path after the 2205?

Gregory,

We were on similar paths. I noticed a big difference also when I got my 2205. I really loved that amp. Next was the 2255, not so different.

What has been your path after the 2205?

My McIntosh amplifier path was the following second-hand Mc dealer trading:

11-28-1987, purchased MC2120........... $795
11-28-1987, purchased MC2120 panel, 045-022.. $ 41.34
12-19-1987, traded-in.. MC2120.......... ($795)
12-19-1987, purchased MC2200........... $950
06-12-1989, traded-in.. MC2200.......... ($800)
06-12-1989, purchased MC2205........... $1100

The only upgrade after the MC2205 was the Thiel 3.5 speakers on 12-08-2007 some 18-1/2 years later. As already stated the 2205 is one `wicked powerful´ amplifier. The 2255 was a big jump in price and I wasn't too keen on the diagnostics circuitry. I also regret peddling the 2200 now. :(

Let's not forget this discussion is about the 2505, which I purchased on 8-21-1989 for $350 from E-Z Teletronics in Chicago.

-Gregory

Last edited:
"Let's not forget this discussion is about the 2505,"

Yes, apologies to Nikko75. Should have used the PM feature.

Best way for me to describe the 2505 is "non fatiguing" and as a tip for anyone buying one: Have it packed to the nth degree. The glass can break real easy during the shipping. The 250 is the same amp, cheaper and no glass to break if you are just looking for the sound.

My MC2505 is my first Mc piece and puts out 70 watts of beautiful music in my den. It may be the baby boomer in the family but it's aged gracefully IMO. Unfortunately it's now back at AC being serviced and is truly missed at the moment. :tears:

From MC225 to MC2505

I recently swapped my MC225 with an MC2505, on loan from my Dad. He bought it new in 1969 and it's been in use ever since. As compared to the 225, I've only had it for a few days, and it does have a similar sound as I understand it was voiced to do so. One difference I have noticed is that the extra power seems to drive my Sonus Faber Concertino speakers a bit better, and does benefit the phono section, which has a slightly fuller sound than with the 225. Both are paired with an MX 110 brought to spec and anyway, they all sound great.
Good luck with your 2505.

My two Mc Vintage amps are a 5100 integrated and a MC2105 both from the same era as the 2505. If 50 watts is all you need, I'm sure it will sound beautiful. When I got my 5100 back from Terry Dewick, I was astonished at the quality of sound coming from my rather inexpensive Infinity speakers that I had connected to it. The imaging was unexpected and quite startling.

Very interesting... I have just purchased my first MC 2505 xxx.2 and it sounds really good.
I repair old audio equipment and was wondering about the service thatneeds to be done. This one had not been touched (aparently the “techie: said two years ago that all is good). It is in an impaccable condition.
Service manual does not have much information in it (other than voltages )... Can anyone advise on what to look for?
What to change ... other than obvious.

Many thanks

I've owned a MC2505 for almost 30 years, purchase in 1989 from EZ Teletronics in Chicago (defunct). Didn't run it much for many years and it stayed in the carton, but lately it's been playing in the 2nd rack (in family room) nearly every day, sometimes for 6-8 hrs each day thru the XR6s.

It got a `home restoration´ in 2010. Mainly these amps need electrolytic cap replaced.

Here are some of the NEW caps that were installed:
MC2505_caps_022.jpg

The MAIN PS caps were ok, so they are still original. It got a thorough `going over´ removing oxidation, deburring, screw replacement, etc.

Replacement (rusted) screw:
MC2505_rust.jpg

Deburring:
MC2505_deburr_I.jpg

Burr around hole cuts paint/finish on mating part:
MC2505_hole_II.jpg

Original barrier screws:
MC2505_speakers.jpg

All barrier screws replaced:
MC2505_terminals.jpg

Chassis screws replaced with stainless black oxide:
MC2505_black.jpg

MC2505_bottom.jpg

Power output and meter tracking test setup:
MC2505_test_setup.jpg

After update and restoration:
2505_rack_68.jpg

More photos and tips to post if you'd like.

-Greg

Note: photos uploaded to AK appear blurry, image resolution way out of spec!

Last edited:
A few more pics

Replacement with BRIGHT stainless steel screws:
MC2505_bright.jpg

Bright and black oxide stainless:
MC2505_black.jpg

Nasty chassis screws also replaced with new stainless:
MC2505_meter_caps.jpg

Original caps seen on Meter PCB above.

Ready to reinstall PS caps on chassis:
MC2505_multi-section_071.jpg

New can caps installed from Hayseed. He made them custom for me, and I think they're still available.
caps_installed_68.jpg

Was going to re-stuff originals.. still have the option of doing that:
2505_cap_prep_06.jpg

2505_cap_gutted_21.jpg

Plenty of fun (and backlogged) projects to do around here.

-Greg

Back
Top Bottom