• Windows Vista

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 163 30.5%
  • Windows '98

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Mac OS X (any version)

Votes: 124 23.2%
  • Linux (post which one you use, i.e. Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc.)

Votes: 50 9.3%
  • Other (explain in your post)

Votes: 34 6.4%

• Total voters
My main tower has been running LINUX FEDORA for the past year or so.

My secondary rig is a WINDOWS 7 box for the handful of programs I need that don't work under LINUX.

I also occasionally run a virtual session of WIN XP PRO under LINUX via ORACLE's VIRTUALBOX software (free!).

Cheers.

Home:
(2) Computers with XP
(1) Laptop with XP
(1) Laptop with Vista
(1) Touchpad with webOS

Store:
(6) Computers with XP
(1) Laptop with XP

My kid loaded Win8 on his desktop and used it for a few days before wiping it and going back to OpenSuse Linux. His conclusion is it is made for tablets and touch screen and if dumbed down possibly a cell phone but not for a computer that does not use a touch screen and not for business environments. Seems like MS is running after the retail market with this release. Possibly the company figures that few companies will changeover to Win8 either continuing with XP or Win7 that seems to have come out only a short time ago and possibly the business community will not update as Win7 will be supported until about the time of Win10 or only will go with Win8 if updating the hardware and it is included though, I've seen more than a few companies receiving Vista loaded computers just wipe them and license XP and install it or when Win7 came out upgrading to it but, most stayed with XP and even a few went all the way back to Windows 2000 Professional, the really last OS they released specifically written for business.

umm let's see

my desktop Win7 Ultimate
my wife's pc Win7 Ultimate
my lappy Win7 Pro
HTPC Win7 Ultimate
File Server Win2k8 R2 Enterprise

and then my other server running vmware ESXi 5 (virtual machines 4X Win2k8 R2 and a Win 8 test machine and winXP test machines)

Well, I had Mint on my old Compaq but yesterday it imploded. tried to reformat, install Mint, Windows 2000 and XP w/ no luck bad HD. Decided just to retire it. Now just Win 7 on 1 computer and XP on the other 3.

A far better way of doing things these days, imho, is virtualisation. Grab a copy of vmware player (free):

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Hop onto vmplanet.net here:

http://www.vmplanet.net/

to download free vmware images.

I run XP on VMware Player. It works great. I have two laptops, both running Win 7, and one running VMware Player. I use the latter for older programs that won't run on Win 7. Now, all I need to do is find a USB sound card that is equal to or better than my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard, and I can finally dump my old desktop PC, also running XP.

My desktop is running Windows 7 Home Premium right now.
Laptop has Debian+Xfce
Powermac G5 has Leopard
AT&T PC-6300 has AT&T DOS 3.30A
and the 486 has OS/2 Warp Connect 3.

I have 2 boxes and a laptop running XP, 1 laptop running 7, an old server running 98, and my Synology file server running whatever version of Linux they use.

Back
Top Bottom