Pioneer CS-811 Opinions Please

DFAdams

I just bought a pair of Pioneer CS-811 speakers. They're rough, but for the price I couldn't pass them up. I don't know anything about this particular model, but I suspect it is a middle of the line speaker, possibly 80's vintage. Any and all info on these would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pioneer CS-811 Speakers 001.jpg
    Pioneer CS-811 Speakers 001.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Pioneer CS-811 Speakers 002.jpg
    Pioneer CS-811 Speakers 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 83
They are from the later mid to late 70's. The model above yours is the CS-911 and one below, and yours proved very popular during their day. They are often over shaddowed here by the wonderful Pioneer HPM speakers but they cost the same or more back then. How do yours sound to you?

CS811.jpg

I have not listened to that particular model but usually the mid 80's Pioneer
sound kinda good. If they were mine, I would heat up that cone with a
hairdryer and see if it will pop back out. A shop vac hose might pull it
out or bend a lttle barb in the end of a pin/needle and pierce it and pull
it out that way then dab a drop of shoe goo or black silicone and see what
they sound like. Might be ok for garage or basement party speakers or even
flip them to double or tripple your money.

They are from the later mid to late 70's. The model above yours is the CS-911 and one below, and yours proved very popular during their day. They are often over shaddowed here by the wonderful Pioneer HPM speakers but they cost the same or more back then. How do yours sound to you?

View attachment 158913

I haven't even hooked them up. They need some serious repair work, a couple of cones, surrounds, and I'm sure the crossovers need recapped, but they were dirt cheap and it'll give me something to do, so I bought them.

I have not listened to that particular model but usually the mid 80's Pioneer
sound kinda good. If they were mine, I would heat up that cone with a
hairdryer and see if it will pop back out. A shop vac hose might pull it
out or bend a lttle barb in the end of a pin/needle and pierce it and pull
it out that way then dab a drop of shoe goo or black silicone and see what
they sound like. Might be ok for garage or basement party speakers or even
flip them to double or tripple your money.

I may flip them down the road, but right now they're just something to play with.

Well, do you best as this will be a good test speaker for ideas. The dust caps can be massaged out with vacuum and a little warmth, or maybe a slow pull with some blue masking tape. Other tapes leave a residue. With that big a box and front baffle, I'll bet they will benefit from a front/back brace just above the woofer cut out. Looks like kind of a neat project :)

Greetings, I picked up a pair of CS-66A's at a antique store to use while I serviced my vandersteens. They were $90 and in great shape under the dust. That was two months ago. I was so pleased last week I ordered a pair of HPM-100 off the net. As HPM-100's go I paid top dollar, but if they work out I'll keep them. Last fall I found a AE-25 Superamp and it drives the CS-66A's beautifully. Enjoy your experiment.

Back
Top Bottom