Realistic STA-64B

Roypercy

hey all:

Just found one of these at the curb on recycling day. Besides a couple nicks in the wood veneer case, it's in excellent cosmetic shape and works just fine. I have to say it's kinda pretty for what it is.

Anybody have any info on this unit? Any idea who made it for Radio Shack?

Thanks

Roy

From the horse's mouth

1979 Radio Shack catalog. Sorry that the scan is so... Impressionist. The nice folks at Tandy Corp. didn't print their catalogs on acid free, 24-lb paper for archivists like us. :)

EDIT: turns out the 'auto correct' in the s/w bundled with this computer does a pretty good job with yellowed newsprint!

Last edited:
It's most likely a Foster Electronics piece. They were Tandy's main OEM for that stuff.

TP

Hey, thanks for all the info. And thanks a million for the scan, MH! Really cool to see the receiver in its "natural environment". The price seems surprisingly high for what it was, am I wrong? Not surprising that it's got a FET tuner - the sensitivity is very good for its size (much better than the Onkyo 2500 MkII, for example).

mhardy6647 said:
Radio Shack's prices were ALWAYS high!

True, but the frequent 50% sales made the stuff very affordable. I got my first two pairs of "real" (keep your comments to yourselves, please) speakers at half price. Oh, and thanks for the scan, mrh. - Mark

Good example of Tandy's finest equipment. According to RMS standards it is rated at 16 watts per channel, but do not be fooled by snobbery, this is fully adult realistic and its also quite capable. Soundwisely is perfect, maybe that is why Realistics costed a lot back in 70's. About OEM it does not really matter as Tandy was a source of design and circuitry, so every one manufactured exactly what Tandy paid for. For example weakest and strongest models of their receivers were manufactured by Pioneer, but better in my opinion were machines made by Foster. Those were composed with the finest materials and most of insides were outsourced from Sanyo. About all models (most number) being manufactured in South Korea, an OEM responsible was Inkel, again Inkel was producing what Tandy wanted and slightly worse quality finish is a fault of economical approach of Americal corporation. Inkel still manufactures stuff for Tandy, I am not sure that Realistic trademark still exist, but Tandy sales cheaper stuff with Memorex and Sherwood badges. It is sad that the Realistic idea has abandoned oldschool circuitry in mid 80's, I believe if they had continued, they would of been best Hifi manufacturer in the world by now.

I have one of these Realistic STA-64B, as i just fixed the amplifier so now i am after the Service Manual for it or the Model Number as then i can source the manual:)

I have one of these Realistic STA-64B, as i just fixed the amplifier so now i am after the Service Manual for it or the Model Number as then i can source the manual:)

Welcome to AK! The service manual seems to be available at hifiengine.com, a site that is cost-free and generally hassle-free once you are registered. The trouble is that registration is often restricted. It's certainly worth a try, though.

Welcome to AK! The service manual seems to be available at hifiengine.com, a site that is cost-free and generally hassle-free once you are registered. The trouble is that registration is often restricted. It's certainly worth a try, though.
Thanks Chazix, i have been to that site and they stopped anymore members to that site. So i cannot get that file because i am not a member :confused:

Back
Top Bottom