My new amp

hmm

So I guess that if MP3's sound better in the treble than my analog rig there's something wrong.

Andrea Bocelli on a memory stick sounds good, and OPEN, there's space around him.

All my vinyl sounds crushed in the upper registers, no space around musicians or instruments.

really thinking about replacing the tt and pre.

any hints?

nice that the amp can really juice these lil boxes, got their woofers moving when I hit the top of the volume dial today with Dire Straits "money for nothing", holy fun!

love jango

Left the amp on last night with some moby station on jango.

8 more hours of run in, does letting the amp idle in the on position contribute to run in, or does it need to be passing signal?

In theory leaving it on does contribute to the burn in time, but IMO the (any) component is designed to reproduce music, so it should have some music playing thru it, like a race car you break them in driving them, not idling in the garage :)

I'll try again to call you today to see if can sort out your grounding, got swamped yesterday.

Cheers,
Ian

Listening to some of the stuff I grew up on, new order, depeche mode, pink Floyd, sounds better and better.

the electronics sounds smooth but bright, not blunted or too knifey (its a word now).

ohh gotta try some erasure! Oh the grade 9 drama is all coming back now!

half way on the volume knob is just right.

got some 24/96 Floyd on the way, can't wait to hear it.

That is cool, I'm listening to Quadraphenia on the flagship ShengYa PSM 600 monoblocks thru the Compact WZ-5's, which means I can do about 1200 watts A/B into 4 ohms, still waiting for the dedicated 20 amp circuits to be installed so that I can run this in Pure Class A (150w). Lots of tubes in the matching pre and my CD-1000. Dagogo reviewer told me these were the best big amps he has heard and he has heard most of the $50k+ offerings, he hasn't heard the Jungson 200w Class A monoblocks :), need those 20 amp circuits before I can fire them up. Took out 3 floors of CES when I ran both in Class A a few years ago, we got two CES design and engineering awards that year.

My guess is you are having just as much fun as I am with your 12 EL84 watts :) and that is what it is all about.

Cheers,
Ian

and after that I switched over to the ShengYa V-518 Horns tucked in the corner in front of the bass traps, which is party time in my showroom, did the 1st of two 'Best Beer Drinking Albums (Canadian eh!), now onto Seconds Out, an incredible Genesis Album and after a few more pops will put on my own version of In the Cage on my Nakamichi cassette deck.

Toying around 100 to 300 watts :) and well over 100dBa

With the ShengYa Horns I can have almost as much fun with the I-12 at about 90dBa, being a tube guy,

Cheers,
Ian

Finally got the bias meters to move on the ShengYa, probably about 200 watts continuous, Glen Miller :) Time Warp going on me thinks and I'm louder than the strip club across the street and I'm basically at on stage volume.

btw, this is the first time I've had the big ShengYa's in my showroom, they spent the last two years in Vegas, my guess is they won't be telling me what they were up to there :) Stupid good amps, not sure if anyone makes anything close, besides Jungson. Rita doesn't do this and Rita blows away all the big ticket amps that have had the balls to challenge her.

Glen Miller Rules

Cheers,
Ian

Cool Ian!

I had wondered about how these speakers would fare on 12 watts.

Their sensitivity and the location near the wall makes them play way bigger than the 5" woofers suggest, but I never played them in corners when I sold them.

There's a nightclub 150 meters from my house, this setup reminds me of the energy of a club.

I'm going to find some small concerto music to listen to, any reccomendations?

Emerson Lake and Palmer is my favourite concerto type music and come to think of it, might be the whole reason for an EL84 amp :) Not really into traditional concertos, maybe someone else can suggest something interesting.
Cheers,
Ian

Traditional concertos

Emerson Lake and Palmer is my favourite concerto type music and come to think of it, might be the whole reason for an EL84 amp :) Not really into traditional concertos, maybe someone else can suggest something interesting.
Cheers,
Ian

http://www.amazon.ca/Four-Seasons-A...1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1320597691&sr=1-1-spell
I have the original 1992 version of this disc. Good test for my sound system. It is a 20 bit sony recording with great detail. Tubes really help to smooth out the sounds of period instrument strings. Very respectable performance (my favourite). And Vivaldi's 4 seasons should be OK in any CD collection.

Traditional concertos pt. 2

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.amazon.ca/Bach-Complete-J-S/dp/B0040T7CFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1

If you have a few more $$ to spend: this will give you all of Bach's concertos, and pretty much everything else. I have an older version of this set, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. The recordings are generally very good to superb, as are the performances. A real bargain.

Picked up London's "The World of Bach", SPA4061 on wax at VV boutique.

2 bucks for a nice clean record.

Reminded me that even though we didn't k ow it, those of us that grew up with looney tunes got a solid background in most of the major classical music and composers and their great works.

I could just see Bugs tying his fingers in knots playing the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

This is a good disc, has a bit of everything is scale and complexity from concertos and chamber to organ and massed dual choirs and dual orchestras, cooooool!

And harpsichord! I been wanting to hear some harpsichord, there's an instrument to test a systems top end extension and smoothness. Get that one wrong and its like a fork in the ear.

Budget constraint forced me to put OLD and Depeche Mode back, I got the better disc tho, I'm happy.

Reminded me that even though we didn't k ow it, those of us that grew up with looney tunes got a solid background in most of the major classical music and composers and their great works.

Kill the Wabbit, kill the Wabbit!

this amp sounds so nice now, smooooooooooth, well sorted.
ill have it running playing different stuff, doing whatever and find myself pulled back to actually listening to it.

i want to get a dac-11 or a used dac-09 for the preamp/dac/input switching/everything!

i just want to plug everything into this and listen to it ALL!!!

anyone else got one?

this amp sounds so nice now, smooooooooooth, well sorted.
ill have it running playing different stuff, doing whatever and find myself pulled back to actually listening to it.

i want to get a dac-11 or a used dac-09 for the preamp/dac/input switching/everything!

i just want to plug everything into this and listen to it ALL!!!

anyone else got one?

used to own one, gave it to my son for grad. He is loving it, I am still missing it. It works great with the tubeDAC 09, you will hear a real difference on CDs unless you have a great dac built into your CDP.

Finally got my Poweramp player working on my phone again, playing some DSotM.

this is good, dark, loss of high end sparkle and openness originating somewhere, probably in the phone.

Could be the 50 cent 1/8 to RCA cord too.

I need a proper dac and my computer working again.

Damn I'm loving this though, I want to take it to my friend Deans to show him.

I did a little experiment cuz the sound was a little dark, had the speakers on the 4 ohm tap and switched to the 8 ohm tap. Brightened them up nicely.

Next I put the speakers on inverted wastepaper baskets, biiig difference. So I'm going to make some proper stands of either solid maple endcuts from a local mill or 3/4" MDF.

I picked up some more vinyl a Bach disc, nice except for the broken stylus.

I figure the amp is broken in now, its neat, I saw the blue glow of the electrons flowing in the pre tubes. I told my son that it was actually the music flowing, never gonna see that in a ss amp!

is that true? Or am I seeing things?

Can't wait to get my laptop running again, mediamonkey plays everything. Using my ATRIX phone running astro player to play my flags but it won't play my hires Floyd, grr. Gonna have to get a DAC-11.

Back
Top Bottom