AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

Anyone still keeping track on these? Here's my version:

Photo0266.jpg

A couple of tweeks. The tweet is just the trunc version. All specs the same. I picked up the drivers for less than half last year at the InDIYana event. Great guys! The cabinet is just a bit wider at 8.5" and the volume is just under 13L. The walls are lined with fiberglass and there is a wad of bamboo pillow stuffing behind the brace. The front baffle was the side of a JBL L100 Century cabinet that was way beyond repair. The finish is undecided as these are a gift for my brother and he gets to decide. Actually they will match his house as is right now:D

So if someone is still keeping track, I would appreciate getting serial numbers for them.

Last edited:
I was just commissioned to build a set of these, here is what I came up with.
The front, top, and bottom will be 1" or greater solid wood of the owner's choice.
The side walls will be stacked 1" baltic birch 17 ply, totaling 136 plys tall.
Back will be 1.75"-2" of baltic birch, just a single panel though.

Amplifier is a Topping TP-60
The man is 6 feet tall in the last shot.

Screenshot2012-03-04at103617PM.png

Screenshot2012-03-04at103930PM.png

Screenshot2012-03-04at103916PM.png

Screenshot2012-03-04at103942PM.png

Screenshot2012-03-04at104049PM.png

Screenshot2012-03-04at104248PM.png

Those are going to be HEAVY. With all that extra wood, what do you think the external dimensions will come to?

Out of curiosity, how do you plan on bending the panels for the sides so they are all symmetrical?

Looks good, byrd. One tip I'd give you is to avoid the sharp edges around the baffle. A 1/2-3/4" roundover or just better integration into the curved sides will really help diffraction issues.

...Out of curiosity, how do you plan on bending the panels for the sides so they are all symmetrical?

Cabinets are cut as flat slices and stacked, like pancakes with the center cut out. Look at the third pic for a better image of how it's done.

Yeah, what Dave said. If you're going to be stacking them anyway I'd make the front "corners" part of the stack and round them and then inset the baffle.

I was going to round the edges, but sketchup has no easy way of doing that.
External dimensions are exactly the same as the .38cubic foot PE cabinets.

The man is 6 feet tall in the last shot.

And he has no eyes so he's going to trip on that speaker on the right.

I was going to round the edges, but sketchup has no easy way of doing that.
External dimensions are exactly the same as the .38cubic foot PE cabinets.

Groovy. You might try doodling it up with the sides a bit deeper and the baffle inset just for kicks. I think it looks nifty that way but that's just my opinion.

Cabinets are cut as flat slices and stacked, like pancakes with the center cut out. Look at the third pic for a better image of how it's done.

You know, now that you mention it, I remember someone else early on in the design process (below page 40, I think) doing this.

You know, now that you mention it, I remember someone else early on in the design process (below page 40, I think) doing this.

This is normally how curved-sided cabinets are done. The vast majority of the Indignias (that didn't use the PE cabs) were made with flat sided cabinets, which can easily be done with sheets of MDF.

And he has no eyes so he's going to trip on that speaker on the right.

Groovy. You might try doodling it up with the sides a bit deeper and the baffle inset just for kicks. I think it looks nifty that way but that's just my opinion.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought inset baffles cause reflections or diffractions or wild dust bunnies or somethin'?

Sorry for confusion, I didn't mean inset like the vintage style stuff (Advents, etc). I meant making the front corners part of the stack and setting the baffle back into it so that the front edge is flush as opposed to bringing the stacks around the front and then sticking the baffle on the front of them as shown in the illustrations.

You were right. Baffles that are inset so that there is a rim around them do cause reflections, diffractions, and the most insidious dust bunnies you've ever seen.

For simplicity of construction, I'm going to just round the front edges separate from the curve. I don't think that it would look as good to have it be one flowing piece, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom