Sansui 8080DB

Hello all. What a blessing to have discovered this forum. I recently found a Sansui 8080 DB receiver for $15 at a yard sale. I haven't fully checked out all it's functions yet but it appears to be in great working condition. I'm debating whether to keep it & use it as part of my revamped entertainment center (with my refurbished Dual 1229) or sell it on Ebay. I see they regularly go for big bucks there & other auction sites. This thing is heavy so shipping is a factor as well. I have other receivers to use but I have this nagging feeling I should keep the Sansui. Any advice?

$15.00... wow

The 8080DB is one of the few receivers I should have kept but sold. It's a great receiver and you'll probably regret selling it.

Welcome to AK, glad you found us. The Sansui is a really nice piece, I have the 9090 and it's a wonderful piece. If you can it would be worth it to keep, some people are not fans and want to let them go. Just depends if you want the hassel of boxing, shipping, insuring, ect.. then it's just a decision you'll have to decide on. Best of luck, I'd say keep it :D

Hello all. What a blessing to have discovered this forum. I recently found a Sansui 8080 DB receiver for $15 at a yard sale. I haven't fully checked out all it's functions yet but it appears to be in great working condition. I'm debating whether to keep it & use it as part of my revamped entertainment center (with my refurbished Dual 1229) or sell it on Ebay. I see they regularly go for big bucks there & other auction sites. This thing is heavy so shipping is a factor as well. I have other receivers to use but I have this nagging feeling I should keep the Sansui. Any advice?

Keep it, welcome to AK and you should check out the subforum for Sansui enthusiasts.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Welcome to AK, $15 dollars is a great price for an 8080db. I paid $75 for mine stuck in protection mode. I was happy to get it at that price since it was an easy fix.

Keep it, they aren't making any more of them and it will only appreciate. I too was going to flip mine until I gave it a fair evaluation. At least give it a serious listen, bet you keep it :thmbsp:

Oh, and we need some pictures!

well it depends what your other receivers are. But they would have to be pretty nice to warrant giving away an 8080db. I have a 9090 that I had restored and people can't beleive how good it sounds. The 8080 is a classic piece that is a good example of why audio gear from that era is so special.

I see that the dilemma is causing you strain, so I'm willing to take the Sansui off your hands if you pay me $15 and ship it to me on your dime. I know, I know, I'm offering to do something *so* kind for someone I've never even met, bu they, that's just the kind of guy I am. :)

8080DB was my everyday driver till I ventured off into fleapower tube territory. I have a bunch of really nice vintage solid state receivers that are eventually going to find new homes or be stored away, and I'll be making the periodic investment in tubes to keep my new player fresh and responsive. I thought there could never be that big a difference, but with highly effcient speeks you can't go wrong with many affordable offerings.

Well, thanks all. I'm just about convinced I should keep the Sansui. It's tempting to sell it in order to have extra $$ to get other music gear (I'm still actively playing in bands at age 60) but it IS a great find at a great price. How many guitars & effects pedals do I need, anyway? I really have to explore this site a little more to see if there's a section for musicians to chat.

Good luck finding anything new that will perform the way an 8080 will. If it were me I would put it aside until I had the money to ship it to CDFixer to get a full rehab done on it. Even after shipping and rehab, you would still be hard put to find something new that would perform as well. Keep it, fix it up and be happy.

Start looking for a pair of DCM Time Frames to pair with the Sui. I have the TF-600's with an 8080db as my bedroom set up and it is fantastic. I have had some very, very nice set-ups in my main rig and the bedroom system has always compared favorably to all of them. I'm more of a seperates guy, but that 8080 is one sweet sounding receiver.

Start looking for a pair of DCM Time Frames to pair with the Sui. I have the TF-600's with an 8080db as my bedroom set up and it is fantastic. I have had some very, very nice set-ups in my main rig and the bedroom system has always compared favorably to all of them. I'm more of a seperates guy, but that 8080 is one sweet sounding receiver.

Good advice right here.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom