• Windows Vista

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 163 30.5%
  • Windows '98

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Mac OS X (any version)

Votes: 124 23.2%
  • Linux (post which one you use, i.e. Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc.)

Votes: 50 9.3%
  • Other (explain in your post)

Votes: 34 6.4%

• Total voters
Just got a new laptop and have it dual booted with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10. My previous laptop ran Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04. I also have a desktop running a trimmed-down Ubuntu 11.10 that only gets used as a server for my website. For the last year or so I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively, but I think I'll be using 7 a bit more for the moment while I try it out. I'll probably go back to Ubuntu sooner or later though, when Windows inevitably slows down to a crawl again.

New Computer. Windows 7. Like the speed just not the changes. By the time I get used to this I will be looking for another computer. :scratch2: :smoke::smoke:

I do like how fast the windows media player rips Cds. :scratch2:

I use Linux, Ubuntu. Installed it when Windows Vista was driving me crazy. Only problem is I can't use some Windows-software, even using Wine. Since I hear good things about Windows 7 and my brother-in-law is building me a new computer, I'll probably ask him to install Windows.

I use Linux, Ubuntu. Installed it when Windows Vista was driving me crazy. Only problem is I can't use some Windows-software, even using Wine. Since I hear good things about Windows 7 and my brother-in-law is building me a new computer, I'll probably ask him to install Windows.

Another thing pissing me off about it " I can't use some Windows-software," Looks Like my inventories are gonna take a beating. :smoke:

Update: Discontinued Linux on all boxes and using Win7 on my latest laptop that originally had Vista and XP-SP3 Pro on my other 2 laptops and 2 desktops. I'd convert all to Win7 but the old boxes have some conflicts and as neither are getting much use, why bother. I was given a netbook using XP-SP3 and it is doing fine though the Atom chip does not care for multitasking. Maybe when I get better, I may experiment with Linux on it.

I still miss Win2000 but, as they say at some point we need to move forward. Win2000 was I think the most stable and lean of the MS OSs. I have an old IBM Thinkcentre reburb'ed in box and may mount Win2000 on it with some of the old software that does not do well with XP and Win7 such as Lotus Organizer that freezes sometimes with XP-SP3 (was more stable with SP1) but less finicky with Win7 as well as older versions of WordPerfect; yeah I know I am out of tune with the 20th century but I really like WordPerfect Suite over Office and have the latest version X5.

Windows 8? I must be really behind the times. I've seen a release from MS as to the interface but did not know it has been released. I'd skip it and wait for Win9 as it seems MS issues a decent OS and then a dude and then a decent OS and then a dude. Win8 is scheduled to be the dude based on MS history of releases.

Windows 7 unfortunately. I want a Mac because quite frankly, I'm sick of the constant blue screening and the pure unstability of W7.

My newest PC is W7 Pro with the XP virtual installed. I use that for my flatbed and slide/film scanners. The other PCs have W7 Home...and I have a small server.

Linux Fedora at work, and Ubuntu at home are my main OSs. I've got a partition with Windows XP installed in my home PC mainly for documents in Office that other people send me (openoffice is only a basic tool for handling those documents). I've installed my first Linux OS in 1996 (Red Hat).

3 Computers Windows 7 Ultimate
2 Computers Windows XP Pro
1 Computer Windows 7 Pro

1 Computer Triple boot (Windows 7 Ultimate, OSX Lion, and Linux Mint)

Windows is for general programs/word processing, Lion for editing photos+video, Linux for programming/network security ;)

32gb SSD, 12gb DDR3 1600 RAM, 2x2tb Raid 0, 2x2TB storage, 2x HD 7970 3gb graphics, Intel Core I7 3960X

Sounds like a really heavy duty rig you have. Is it an Apple or some other make; curious as you are running OS/X on it.

I have a raid system I used for my business system but the system formatted the hard drives to ext3 and really slowed down my system so just side lined it and went to periodically backing up on a pair of external hard drives. I just set them to back up nightly as to any file changes and on weekedns when I was closed to do a full backup. I'm going to reinstall the raid on the computer since I no longer use the system for business and speed is not as much an issue.

I've tried many a flavor of Linux and now that I do not have as much need for Window specific programs I might convert one over to Linux but would prefer OS/X as it is based open UNIX and we can get into it through the terminal and the optional installs on the discs that can get you into the core system.

I pick other.

Win7 host runs VM Workstation on my laptop, XP VM for most work. Some vendor specific platform emulators running as VM's.

Home server runs 2003 Server

For work my main focus is as an IBM Power Systems Engineer on primarily IBM i boxes (OS/400 for the old timers) but I dabble in nearly everything including AIX on power. Proprietary Storage OS's but they all pretty much run an 'nix kernel underneath.

until today I used PCLinuxOS with the lxde de--just switched back to ubuntu (also using lxde )
i had used ubuntu for a bit about 6 yrs ago,I also have puppy linux running on my old circa 1999 toshiba 2535 cds its a p1@300mhz w/ 96 megs ram that i use for music (slightly vintage lappy eh?):thmbsp:
also have tried /Mint--tiny core--crunchbang--ultimate--TinyMe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom