Pioneer PL-750

Micropassatman

Swollen Member
Hello all,

I have just aquired this very table for a modest fee, and I was wondering if anyone has any information or experienced listening opines out there on it. Positives? Negatives? Should I keep it or turn it? Was it a quality unit, or just another piece of SPC? Thanks in advance!

I was afraid people would take the intent of my initial questioning incorrectly. Let me embellish a little. I am not an auctionsite reseller. Look me up on eBay. Same username. I don't sell online at all. If anything, I have TOO MUCH STUFF! I HATE to get rid of anything. THe W.A.F. is in play here folks. I can have one turntable in open view. Period. Right now I'm using a Sony PS-10F 'Falcon' series unit from '78-'79. I am happy with its sound, but I am curious to hear 'better' tables in my bargain-basement range of affordability. All I want to know is...will moving from the Sony to the Pioneer be a step forwar or backward in sound quality? It looks like it has a carbon-fibre arm, but it could be painted aluminum for all I know. Considering the 750 in its moniker, I asumed it was a 'higher-end' unit from Pioneer's lineup. Was I incorrect? I DID search the archives, and I only found ONE thread containing a reference to the table - the 'What's Pioneer in your Rig' thread. No commentary on it at all. I also checked Axel's site TVK and struck out again. Does anybody own this table? Does anyone have the table's date of mfg. and/or specs? I Google's it to no avail as well. HELP!

BTW, to set everyone's minds at ease - if I choose to sell this table, I will place it in an AK classified ad. I love this community and all it has afforded me. It's only fair to offer up to the community what someone else might be looking for, even if it isn't my cup-o'-tea. Ciao.

Last edited:
I know you asked about it over a year ago, but I thought I would still comment. I have this turntable and I've always been told it's a great and top of the line turntable and have not had a bad experience with it at all. Just recently I had emailed someone at Needle Doctor and had mentioned in it that this is the turntable I have and he replied back telling me what a great table it is. I believe it came with a high quality Pioneer moving coil cartridge, which I still have with the original stylus some 25 or 30 years later (only really started using it much in the last year) and it still works just as good as it did the day I bought it. I could probably make some good money with it on ebay, but I have no desire to sell it.

I know you asked about it over a year ago, but I thought I would still comment. I have this turntable and I've always been told it's a great and top of the line turntable and have not had a bad experience with it at all. Just recently I had emailed someone at Needle Doctor and had mentioned in it that this is the turntable I have and he replied back telling me what a great table it is. I believe it came with a high quality Pioneer moving coil cartridge, which I still have with the original stylus some 25 or 30 years later (only really started using it much in the last year) and it still works just as good as it did the day I bought it. I could probably make some good money with it on ebay, but I have no desire to sell it.
This PL-750...is it silver with a straight tonearm?

Does it look at all like this?

attachment.php

That in turn looks very similar to the early-1980s PL-x series, like this PL-7:

attachment.php

I wonder if a PL-750 was a renumbering of something like a PL-7 for sale in a different market?

Dr. Strangelove over in the Pioneer forum would surely know about this one.

According to the Pioneer database it was also called a PL-705. It was a 1984 model. Those you have posted are from 1981.

To hakaplan:
Yes - It is silver with a straight tonearm. My PL-750 was produced around 1975, not 1984.

To Greg B.:
No, it really doesn't look much like those - Perhaps just the PL-720 a bit.

To Micropassatman:
Did you end up keeping this table?

To hakaplan:
Yes - It is silver with a straight tonearm. My PL-750 was produced around 1975, not 1984.
Sorry, I believe you are mistaken. Where did you get that information? Pioneer's first straight arm didn't appear until 1980. From well before 1975 and up through 1979 all of the turntables had s-arms. Furthermore, in 1975 all of their models had wooden bases. Silver bases didn't appear until 1978 (PL-610/630) and 1979, and again, those all had s-arms.

Go to the Pioneer forum, in the sticky threads, and find the Pioneer Component Database. Click on the turntables. It shows every one they ever produced and their years of production.

If you could post a picture of the turntable, it would be very helpful.

Yes, I did (unwittingly) decide to keep the table. Found a N.O.S. stylus for it and it is currently on loan to a friend of mine.

Sorry, I believe you are mistaken. Where did you get that information? Pioneer's first straight arm didn't appear until 1980. From well before 1975 and up through 1979 all of the turntables had s-arms. Furthermore, in 1975 all of their models had wooden bases. Silver bases didn't appear until 1978 (PL-610/630) and 1979, and again, those all had s-arms.

Go to the Pioneer forum, in the sticky threads, and find the Pioneer Component Database. Click on the turntables. It shows every one they ever produced and their years of production.

If you could post a picture of the turntable, it would be very helpful.

Sorry, perhaps I am wrong. I did read somewhere that it was produced around 1975 - Too bad too, I wish it was. It's still a decent table though.

Perhaps this is a better page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220119608177&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D220119608177%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1.

It didn't seem to sell for too much in Belgium, but I bet I'd get more for it if I was to sell it on the North American eBay.

It didn't seem to sell for too much in Belgium, but I bet I'd get more for it if I was to sell it on the North American eBay.
I doubt it. While I'm sure it sounds fine, the straight arm tables are not as highly regarded and don't bring high prices. It's mostly because they look plasticky and cheap. That MC cart is an enigma--has a .7mil stylus. Kind of the "poor man's" MC. I think an MM with a better stylus is probably preferable.

I doubt it. While I'm sure it sounds fine, the straight arm tables are not as highly regarded and don't bring high prices. It's mostly because they look plasticky and cheap. That MC cart is an enigma--has a .7mil stylus. Kind of the "poor man's" MC. I think an MM with a better stylus is probably preferable.

Whatever - It was a good machine when I bought it and it still is.

Perhaps this is a better page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220119608177&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D220119608177%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1.

That looks a whole lot like my PL-S40... that raised lip at the back edge for the cover to attach to the base is pretty distinctive.

attachment.php

Although Howard seems to have a low opinion of this series, mine produces excellent sound and I quite like it.

Sorry, didn't mean to put it down, just explain why ebayers might not go for it. Looks play a major role in what turntables sell for on ebay.

It's alright. I also have an older Dual in the closet that's better than this turntable but I need to have it refurbished. I was going to buy a new turntable to replace it (I only used it for 78s), but I think I might have it refurbished and use it for both 78s and LPs/45s.

Hoping not to bother anyone with "reawakening" this post; but I just came across a PL-750, silver colored, with lid, but minus the stylus (cartridge is there, intact) for $50. Is that a good deal or not? I currently have 2 turntables on loan and am using my Marantz 6300 turntable, but it might be nice to have another one to either use as a back up or to loan out (I have all these nephews and neices who are new at the vinyl thing)..

Oh, I forgot to mention, one detail.. different from the above-mentioned PL-750, this one has what looks to be an earlier S-shaped tone arm. The whole thing looks in nice shape.. I may put it on layaway.

Hoping not to bother anyone with "reawakening" this post; but I just came across a PL-750, silver colored, with lid, but minus the stylus (cartridge is there, intact) for $50. Is that a good deal or not? I currently have 2 turntables on loan and am using my Marantz 6300 turntable, but it might be nice to have another one to either use as a back up or to loan out (I have all these nephews and neices who are new at the vinyl thing)..

Oh, I forgot to mention, one detail.. different from the above-mentioned PL-750, this one has what looks to be an earlier S-shaped tone arm. The whole thing looks in nice shape.. I may put it on layaway.
There was no Pioneer PL-750 with an s-arm, so either the model number is incorrect, or it's a different manufacturer. Any chance you can take a picture of it and post it?

Last edited:
Let's crack this open again. Did you gents ever find a solid high quality replacement stylus for the original MC cart??

Back
Top Bottom