caps for mc 2105 HELP PLEASE

Hi, I have a MC 2105 that I wish to recap, does anybody have any experience with recapping this amp? Any good suggestions on which caps to use. I guess you can replace the axial caps with radial, Is that correct? Thanks for any help.

Folks are using Nichicon Muse caps for recapping all McIntosh SS amps. Are available at several vendors, like Handmade Electronics http://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=73. For filter caps they are using these http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer.aspx?page=738 or similar.

Ah.. a photo of the recapped board! What parts are you using for the 640uF caps on the left? the radials that you have `tilted over´ in the pic? There are a couple of yellow jackets that I'm not familiar with. The code is yellow violet and that mean 47? and red is 2 zeros? It looks like they have been replaced with Nichicon ES in your photo. The pic below is of a 2505 (similar to the 2105) which I'm slowly putting around with.

MC2505_20.jpg

The problem is.. the S/N is wiped off and I don't have a service manual. Hope this is close enough to the OP.

-Gregory

Last edited:
Hate to be a pain in my first posts but my schematic shows board # 043-795 is for a
mc2100. 043-557 is for a mc2105. I beleive the input boards on a mc2505 are completely different.

I use 1uF 50V Muse ES in place of the .47uf
And, 2uf in place of 1uf, but 10uf stays 10uf.

Ah.. a photo of the recapped board! What parts are you using for the 640uF caps on the left? the radials that you have `tilted over´ in the pic? There are a couple of yellow jackets that I'm not familiar with. The code is yellow violet and that mean 47? and red is 2 zeros? It looks like they have been replaced with Nichicon ES in your photo. The pic below is of a 2505 (similar to the 2105) which I'm slowly putting around with. -Gregory
The MC2105 is on my bottom shelf. I'll try to get it out this weekend so I can look at the values. I need to get it back together and singing again. I've got a bit more paint touch-up on the transfomer cans before putting on the new 'decals', per McIntosh nomenclature. I would call them stickers.

Last edited:
Well look what we have here... IN STOCK!! :)

Caps.jpg

Would it be ok to put in a couple of Panasonic FMs? (might as well use them up.)
I have some Nichicon 100uF FGs at 63V but they are twice as big!! The FGs would probably be better? yes?

-Gregory

Last edited:
MC2105 input board serial#

I have two 2105s, and they each are equipped with the 043-795 input boards. Apparently Mac interchanged them during production as the 2100 is the 2105 without meters. Moreover, there are minor changes in the number of resistors, and some values between the two boards. I recapped the signal path caps in the input and output boards of both, using Dayton, Nichicon, and Vishay-Spragues - some polypropylene, others electrolytic. I also added .1 polypropylene by-passes to several of them. I left the large filter cans (as suggested by MacIntosh techs), but added 47uf polypropylene by-passes on each. They sound quite lovely and improved.

---------------------------------
MR77, MC275, MC240, 2-MC2105s, Crown D150a. Crown IC150, Musical Design SP-1, Michell Giro SE with Benz-Micro Glider, Marantz SA8001; JBL Paragon (with 150c woofers, and added 2405s (alnico), JBL C37 lowboys (with D130s and LE175s)

As long as we are showing caps, here is a set for the a recap of my MC2125 (two bags on the right) and Sony STR-6200F receiver in the two bags on the left. Mostly Muse, with Panasonic FM where there are no Muse in the proper size.

DSCN2986.jpg

pgena - have you posted any pic's of your Paragon set-up? I've always lusted after a pair (and the space in which to use them, of course).

Back
Top Bottom