Hayseed Hamfest multi-cap cans - your experience?

BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Any one here ever ordered multi-cap cans from Hayseed Hamfest?

I ordered five for a Scott 299A. Clearly described the required uF/V, common pos./neg. and max. dimensions for each can in my order.

Two came in too tall to fit in the cabinet and were returned for refund, no questions asked. Two came with common negative when common positive is needed. Just discovered this today, so let the seller know a few minutes ago.

I expect another no hassle return will be forthcoming. It is aggravating though that only one of the five cans was correct and this restore is delayed even further.

Tom at Hayseed Hamfest is great to deal with......I'd imagine this is just a fluke. We all have bad days.

I used Toms caps in my 500C and 400. Perfect fit, good esr, great price. Nice people to talk with on the phone.

I use them, they are great. Always had good service. This last cap order, got messed up a bit...He got the caps put together pretty fast. Got free shipping on everything. Things happen every now and then. I was no hurry with the restore. Still great caps!

The correct common positive cap cans came this week from Hayseed Hamfest. Tom, as always, was very pleasant to deal with on this problem.

Hope to finish up the Scott 299A type 2 restore this weekend.

I'm finishing a 299A up as well.

I chose to do all of the cans myself. I use a large tube cutter and cut the cans just above the big ridge line. I pull out the guts, etc. If they are held in by tar, I put the closed end on an electric stove or hot plate for a bit until the tar softens.

I've discovered that you can use bottoms from other cap cans as well. I use JB Weld to glue all together and a wooden vise to hold it tight. I wipe off any excess epoxy with alcohol and the seam looks quite good.

On some cans I'll laser print a label with the values, can polarity, etc.

I provided Tom with some dimensions for a taller than stock cap that would just fit a Dynaco ST-70 with cage in place. Does anyone know if he ever started making/selling those ?

Back
Top Bottom