Will this work together without blowing up?

MRD*

Hi All,
New to this.

Here is what I have...
Airmotiv 5s - powered
Schiit Modi Dac - usb
Marantz 2230
Random Pioneer CD
Sony E series walkman

How in the world do I set these up? Is it possible? There are so many different connection. Will it sound any good if I can figure it out?

Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting combination of stuff.

1st - don't plug the speaker outputs of your receiver into those speakers! They are amplified speakers and you could damage both receiver and speakers.

Gotta think about this.

Nice receiver by the way.

OK looks like your 2230 has "Preamp out" jumpers.

Remove the Preamp Out jumpers. Don't lose them as you'll need them if you ever want to connect unpowered speakers to the receiver.

Connect Preamp out to the inputs on your powered speakers. You'll need cables with an RCA plug on each end. Basically you are bypassing the amplifier built in to the receiver.

Now you should be able to listen to the tuner in your receiver and control the volume with the receiver volume control. Should sound good.

You don't have many input jacks on that receiver.

You can connect your DAC or CD player to the Aux In on the receiver. Then listen to that with the Aux selection on the control. Should sound good.

Your Walkman is a speaker level output. It could be connected to Aux In with the Walkman volume at very low level but will never sound good.

Phono input is only for a turntable. Don't connect anything else to it.

Last edited:
First of all welcome to AK.

Secondly that's some nice gear you have but I have to ask, how in the world did you wind up with that combination? My advice would be for you to sell your speakers and replace them with conventional speakers. Just a thought.

cubdog

It's a mess.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not confident enough to take apart the Marantz.

Here is the scoop on the equipment.

1. I have no clue what I am doing.

2. Started with the Walkman because it wasn't Apple and it used loss less files.
The added the DAC to try and get a better sound.
Then the Airmotivas because Schiit recommended them.
I got sucked into the Marantz because of all the talk about it's sound.
The CD player is completely random (Pioneer DVD-V7200 Professional Barcode CD/DVD Player)

3. None of it was inherited.

The original goal was to run the walkman through the DAC to the Airmotivs. That didn't work, even with a powered USB hub.

Clearly clueless.

New thinking The kids are getting Monoprice 8250 speakers for Christmas. Hook up the 2230 until I can get something better.

I also have a Lepai LP-2020A amp around. Planned to use it with the Monoprice speakers and a CD player for the kids.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not confident enough to take apart the Marantz.

Here is the scoop on the equipment.

1. I have no clue what I am doing.

2. Started with the Walkman because it wasn't Apple and it used loss less files.
The added the DAC to try and get a better sound.
Then the Airmotivas because Schiit recommended them.
I got sucked into the Marantz because of all the talk about it's sound.
The CD player is completely random (Pioneer DVD-V7200 Professional Barcode CD/DVD Player)

3. None of it was inherited.

The original goal was to run the walkman through the DAC to the Airmotivs. That didn't work, even with a powered USB hub.

Clearly clueless.

New thinking The kids are getting Monoprice 8250 speakers for Christmas. Hook up the 2230 until I can get something better.

I also have a Lepai LP-2020A amp around. Planned to use it with the Monoprice speakers and a CD player for the kids.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks.

How long have you had the Airmotivs? Emo has pretty solid customer support and might take them back especially if you have the original packaging. Other wise you might consider joining AK for $25 and try to sell or trade them in Barter Town.

cubdog

OK looks like your 2230 has "Preamp out" jumpers.

Remove the Preamp Out jumpers. Don't lose them as you'll need them if you ever want to connect unpowered speakers to the receiver.

Connect Preamp out to the inputs on your powered speakers. You'll need cables with an RCA plug on each end. Basically you are bypassing the amplifier built in to the receiver.

Now you should be able to listen to the tuner in your receiver and control the volume with the receiver volume control. Should sound good.

You don't have many input jacks on that receiver.

You can connect your DAC or CD player to the Aux In on the receiver. Then listen to that with the Aux selection on the control. Should sound good.

Your Walkman is a speaker level output. It could be connected to Aux In with the Walkman volume at very low level but will never sound good.

Phono input is only for a turntable. Don't connect anything else to it.

^^^this^^^

No "taking apart" involved with the Marantz. The jumpers are right on the back of the unit (marked Main In/Pre Out) and just get pulled off to disconnect the preamp from the power amp. You wouldn't use the power amp because your speakers have good power amps built in.

Back
Top Bottom