JBL L19 speaker restoration

Jbl l19

After reading the thread re your L19 I'm kind of disappointed that your not going to spring for a pair of original JBL badges to finish them off. No doubt slightly overpriced but the badges were always the first thing people looked for when checking out a speaker and the owner was always proud to show everyone it was a JBL.

After reading the thread re your L19 I'm kind of disappointed that your not going to spring for a pair of original JBL badges to finish them off. No doubt slightly overpriced but the badges were always the first thing people looked for when checking out a speaker and the owner was always proud to show everyone it was a JBL.

Considering the fact that I only have $20 left in my wallet right now and am in debt about 120 bucks I am going to pull the GOOD 'NUFF card here. Maybe later. The grills will likely stay off anyways.

Nice restore coming along....

Cool Dad

cool reciever back there glowing blue nicely.

DSC_0011.jpg

Okay, got one crossover all wired up! They are ugly because I had to fit in the new caps which were about 4 times the size of the older ones and they did not want to be there. Tomorrow the other one (limited time) and then I just need to screw them in and I'm on the home stretch! Now I'll never be able to sell these.

Nice restore coming along....

Cool Dad

cool reciever back there glowing blue nicely.

Good eye, that is my first receiver ever, an MCS 3245 which I passed along to my dad. Interesting how it shows up in that picture, perhaps its nodding in approval.

Almost done.
Finished the crossovers, sealed them in place, replaced the insulation, soldered in the woofers (special clips hacked off by previous owner), then put some sealing tape on the back of the basket rim, torqued down some new T-nuts and called it a day.
Next is putting the JBL foilcals back on and replacing the grill peg (already have it)
then they are DONE.
DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

By the way, new grill cloth too!

First impressions (quick listen at the shop) were very impressive, but I couldn't get them to ear level at the time. Bass is very good. Very very clear, no muddiness or coloration.

Will they sound better when the Dayton caps get time to "break in" or is that a non-issue with caps in a crossover?

The look great! Glad to hear they're playing. Did you end up rotating the woofer mount 45 degrees and putting new nuts in?

The look great! Glad to hear they're playing. Did you end up rotating the woofer mount 45 degrees and putting new nuts in?

Precisely that, sir! The MDF was actually solid enough to mount new ones where the (bastard) who owned them before me hadn't had a chance to destroy.
Then I sealed them up with some foam tape that you would use to seal windows or parts in your car, I called it a job well done.

Working on these again tomorrow, I might be able to take them back home to give them a better listen.

Back
Top Bottom