Redboy's setup from the audio underground

How the monos coming Nate ?

I may have missed the update Nate but want to see how things are progressing there. Hope all is well with you and some photos would be nice. Always enjoy your posts here.

I may have missed the update Nate but want to see how things are progressing there. Hope all is well with you and some photos would be nice. Always enjoy your posts here.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

I've only built one pair of monoblock amps recently - the single ended EL84 amps at the top of this thread. And "recently" seems to be two years ago, now... :sigh:

I've been kicking around ideas for quite a while and now have to settle on a schematic for the next project. Dunno what they'll be, but you could put good money on them being SET amps. :)

The local AK shindig is coming up in October, so I've got impetus to have something finished by then. We'll see...

Monos

Good morning Nate,

Sounds like a winner going with Set's. I remember you thinking about doing some with the 45 tube in mind. I know they will be nice. Take care my friend.

I'll chime in along with what everybody else is saying here- what an incredibly imaginative and beautiful creation you have there. It almost wouldn't matter how it sounds...did I just say that? Simply amazing.

Very impressive!:ntwrthy:Where did you pick up the skills for that?
Thanks Dave. I've honed the skills along the way. Never really built much with my hands before, but I've always liked doing it. This hobby has been a great outlet for me, and I'd be nowhere without AK. One of my favorite examples of this is the time I wanted to drill large round holes in aluminum. It just wasn't going to happen for me until I started a thread and DaveC came to the rescue! What a great community! Thread here.

I'll chime in along with what everybody else is saying here- what an incredibly imaginative and beautiful creation you have there. It almost wouldn't matter how it sounds...did I just say that? Simply amazing.
Well... Thanks, but it's got to sound good, too. :)

Aesthetics are important to me, but there are guys here with talent way beyond my limited imagination.

Last edited:
I know this comment is like a skipping, scratched record, but I absolutely agree with previous observations that your system is so uniquely gorgeous, it is a piece of artwork as much as it is an amazing 2 channel tube mood machine. Your work and attention to detail shines. I like your humble attitude even with all the drooling by viewing members like myself. Hope to chat in depth sometime, as I know I could learn a lot from your experience. I think I remember you saying before... "It's not about the destination when considering the audio hobby, but rather it's the journey." I hope I didn't misrepresent or mix up your words so much that it lost your original meaning, but I have to say I agree with you. Your journey is a very interesting one and I wish you the best Redboy. Keep the great projects, great posts, and great pics coming! Take care.
HTML:

I have read this entire thread: If I could plan the next 2 years of my 2 channel life, I'd model it after this system, at any phase. First watt is always best.

My latest addition to the system is a passive preamp that I put together using John Chapman's (Bent Audio) Slagleformers.

Initial impressions are really good, and I'm thrilled to have a remote volume control again. :)

I've got a thread about it here.

2015.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom