Mitsubishi Receiver DA-R20 - Worth Fixing

Cut-Throat

A friend of mine brought over a Mitsubishi Receiver DA-R20. It plays fine for about 5 minutes after a cold start, but then starts 'sputtering' in both channels for a couple minutes before it finally goes silent. Does this on all selections FM, AM, AUX etc.

Is this worth fixing or even looking at. The thing weighs about 50 pounds.

Won't know until you get an estimate. Could be something simple. If it has preamp outputs / main inputs, and you have another unit with the same. Test the preamp and then the power amp to see which has the problem. It may help to identify which. If the power amp, you may want to use it as a tuner/preamp and if the preamp, then you can use the tuner and power amp.

Won't know until you get an estimate. Could be something simple. If it has preamp outputs / main inputs, and you have another unit with the same. Test the preamp and then the power amp to see which has the problem. It may help to identify which. If the power amp, you may want to use it as a tuner/preamp and if the preamp, then you can use the tuner and power amp.

He wants me to fix it! - Ha! - But you have a good idea on the Pre-amp Power amp thing. I am guessing it could be a transistor. I could first figure out where the problem is and then start spraying components with some cooling and see when it turns back on.

Thats a hard one. I have the DA R15. IMO no where in the league of say a 2220 Marantz or an SX 550 Pioneer. Who knows, a little fiddling might pay off.

Your real problem may be finding a service manual. I have the DA-R7 and I can find nothing on it.

I have one on my bench right now and it's giving me issues.. I think the proprietary power output pack may be bad in the right channel. It has the -1.2V supply for a while and then jumps to -12V after a while and sounds distorted as heck. Left channel plays fine so I replaced every electrolytic cap on the power and driver board and no luck. I then swapped all the left channel trannies for the right channel ones and the problem stays in the right channel - must be that output pack....

The problem exists whether I use a separate preamp or not so it must be in the power amp methinks.

Driving me nuts.

I pulled the STK-1060 and determined that it is malfunctioning. I need to find a replacement STK-1060 or compatible.

Now the real fun begins :)

I just bought a DA-R20 about 2 hours ago. Have it hooked up. I like it. The phono section isn't bad and the hybrid digi / analog tuner is cool. It's a little bland sounding, but overall not too shabby. reminds me of a poor mans Sansui integrated. I think it's worth getting fixed depenindg on price... it would make a good back up amp in any event. Plus, look at all the functions you're getting, both preamp in and out, MM/MC phono and rack handles.

A friend of mine brought over a Mitsubishi Receiver DA-R20. It plays fine for about 5 minutes after a cold start, but then starts 'sputtering' in both channels for a couple minutes before it finally goes silent. Does this on all selections FM, AM, AUX etc.

Is this worth fixing or even looking at. The thing weighs about 50 pounds.

What do you think of the sound during the first 5 minutes? And what does your friend think of the sound (regardless of his desire to get it fixed). I'm asking because he may end up being even happier with a mid '70's Sansui (or one of the other sleeper manufacturers who made good stuff back then). Phono preamps were made so-much-better in the '70's than they were ten years later (and the same goes for everything else under the hood). Also, it may be a cheaper option as well, especially if he doesn't need much wattage. But if he's into a more-"accurate" '80's sound then maybe he's got the right unit. Actually, the '80's units are even cheaper than the '70's stuff in a lot of cases (Not my kind of thing though).

I avoid just about anything

What do you think of the sound during the first 5 minutes? And what does your friend think of the sound (regardless of his desire to get it fixed). I'm asking because he may end up being even happier with a mid '70's Sansui (or one of the other sleeper manufacturers who made good stuff back then). Phono preamps were made so-much-better in the '70's than they were ten years later (and the same goes for everything else under the hood). Also, it may be a cheaper option as well, especially if he doesn't need much wattage. But if he's into a more-"accurate" '80's sound then maybe he's got the right unit. Actually, the '80's units are even cheaper than the '70's stuff in a lot of cases (Not my kind of thing though).

I avoid just about anything

Considering that I started this thread almost 2 years ago, I can vaguely remember it. The unit is long gone from my place. As far as a cheaper option, he already owned this from way back and to him it was free.

Considering that I started this thread almost 2 years ago, I can vaguely remember it. The unit is long gone from my place. As far as a cheaper option, he already owned this from way back and to him it was free.

Ohhhhhhhhh. Oops.

Thanks a lot, Allen9959. I answered this thread because he had, and it was at the top of the "most-recent" list (or whatever they call it). Ahh, forget it. I'm not even an NAD fan to begin with. I bought mine as the result of someone else's suggestion (which turned out to be a wrong one because I realized that it wasn't the type of sound I was looking for).

So what did you finally end up doing with it? And what's that semi-Jubilee-looking speaker in your avatar?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom