Ever seen one of these? Morse Electrophonic Total Music System.......Pic's

325bmw

Well I never have, have you? Sorry for the bad pictures, Craigslist posting...very interesting..........8 track, turntable, tuner, lights play to the music.
Maybe I'm too young, almost 40 here........lol.

Morse1.jpg

Morse2.jpg

Morse

I've seen them at the Goodwill, and a local pawn shop has one. Might be cool for a "70's Room, Andrew.

Well I never have, have you? Sorry for the bad pictures, Craigslist posting...very interesting..........8 track, turntable, tuner, lights play to the music.
Maybe I'm too young, almost 40 here........lol.

Yep, you missed the fun of the 70s: Color organs, blinky lights, cheezy electroncs, shag carpet, lava lamps, Mateuse wine, 8-tracks that switched in the middle of a song.....yep, you missed it. Don't look back.....look to the future...you didn't miss anything.

Cheers,

David

When I was a kid, I hacked up some Christmas lights, and wired one bulb to each channel of my stereo and they flashed with the sound. It was pretty cool at the time.

Ah, a staple of late '70s game show prize packages: the Morse Electrophonic stereo, "with lights that dance to the beat of the music," as Jay Stewart so often put it.

When I was a kid, I hacked up some Christmas lights, and wired one bulb to each channel of my stereo and they flashed with the sound. It was pretty cool at the time.

I did that too once except with truck headlights(and no speakers), you know the fascinating thing about it was that the bulbs were making sound. you could kinda make out what you were hearing as music.

Very overpriced compact Stereo. Sold for $500 new in 1977. And that's when you could get basic separates for that. Nice light show but otherwise a $129 Morse/Electrophonic compact stereo.

Yep, you missed the fun of the 70s: Color organs, blinky lights, cheezy electroncs, shag carpet, lava lamps, Mateuse wine, 8-tracks that switched in the middle of a song.....yep, you missed it. Don't look back.....look to the future...you didn't miss anything.

Cheers,

David

"get juiced on Mateus and just hang loose"

Lyrics from Social Disease from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road released in 1973 by Elton John

Although my observations in the 70s were that a lot of people were consuming Boone's Farm or T.J. Swan! :rolleyes:

Hi 325!
That is a nice piece of retro equipment you have there.

I still have a working one of the Morse/Electrophonic floor stander units similar to that without the lights. Everything works but the TT as I ripped the guts out to keep my now ex-wife from using it.

The little Morse 3.5 speakers still sound very nice. I bought it new in 1980.

Rome

Neat little unit...I can't shake the feeling that it's an all-in-one with color organs. Though, for the price original color organs are fetching, I may stick with these groovy little 70's gems. Probably doesn't sound all that bad...not great, i'm sure, but maybe reasonable quality. Would look great in a side room or something:yes:.

Cheers,

David

As bad as the 70's may have seemed the 80's were far worse in almost every respect.

Very cool audio-historical oddity. :thmbsp:

Ah, the color organs! Those were the days. I remember taking "light flashers" --little capacitor-based discs that went inside of light-bulb sockets to make the light bulbs flash-- and wiring up a bunch of them with colored bulbs in sockets on a board. Voila! A "light show"! Later on, I got a controller box that could be used to synch the lights to music, at least somewhat.

Haven't seen a color organ for a long time, but I do have a couple of boomboxes with built-in light shows, including one that even has a rotating mirror ball on the top, with two lights that shine on it!

Very cool audio-historical oddity. :thmbsp:

Ah, the color organs! Those were the days. I remember taking "light flashers" --little capacitor-based discs that went inside of light-bulb sockets to make the light bulbs flash-- and wiring up a bunch of them with colored bulbs in sockets on a board. Voila! A "light show"! Later on, I got a controller box that could be used to synch the lights to music, at least somewhat.

Haven't seen a color organ for a long time, but I do have a couple of boomboxes with built-in light shows, including one that even has a rotating mirror ball on the top, with two lights that shine on it!

Very cool! I had never heard of light-flashers. Those old color organs at this point are a rare breed...I have no idea what happened to them, since the catalogs at the time have a ton of them in their pages. A recent auction had a single discolite color organ going for $80 (far outside my price range :sigh:). My grandmother kept the old ones my dad had growing up, and I hope to get them and clean them up. There are kits out there, but they vary widely...I was considering building one...just need a pass filter, a trigger device and a driver. LEDS would make it very easy to make a set:yes:.

These old things really seem to me like an attempt to make mini-jukeboxes for home use.:scratch2:

I've got one of those. Picked it up at the thrift store for $23 and some odd cents. I have another that looks almost like an upright video console, and yes there are dancing lights on the bottom. Just call me Disco Stu.

If you bought it, you have to grow sideburns and wear bell bottoms with a silk shirt. :D

The gold chain is optional!

LOL! Did not buy.....may have for the same price ashfan bought his for...$23. This guy was asking more than a couple hundred dollars........:no: Although I would pay money to see my wife's face when she walked into the living room with this playing and me looking like the above quote!! ha! :banana:

Back
Top Bottom