Sansui SP-5500X Speakers

CrimsonGlory

Bought a pair of these from a pawn shop a little ways back. They were the only speakers the shop had that featured the vintage lattice grill look, and when I saw what they were I didn't have the heart to leave them there.

228869_10151244495662658_2712545_n.jpg

183519_10151244495457658_696137266_n.jpg

The condition of the speakers is quite impressive. The lattice looks flawless and I haven't found a single hole in the fabric. Obviously these are going to require some attention on the inside, but besides a recap, what would I benefit from addressing?

Also, what's the safest way to pop that small dust cover back out?

Last edited:
Use a vacuum cleaner hose to suck the dent out.
Second the vacuum. If it has adjustments for suction dial it down some to start and brace the cone slightly. If you don't you CAN do damage, including getting the base of the VC propped onto the pole piece (not too likely, but I have personally done this).

Look forward to more posts. I have a set of 3500's that I hope to someday work on. Presently they sound pretty good, but I'm hoping will improve with a recap.

Obviously these are vintage equipment and are going to require some attention on the inside, but besides a recap, what would I benefit from addressing?
[/QUOTE]

Probably a bigger cabinet. :yes: If the vacuum trick doesn't work,bend a pin at a 90 deg.angle and poke it into the dust cap and pull it out.

Last edited:
Obviously these are vintage equipment and are going to require some attention on the inside, but besides a recap, what would I benefit from addressing?

Probably a bigger cabinet. :yes: If the vacuum trick doesn't work,bend a pin at a 90 deg.angle and poke it into the dust cap and pull it out.[/QUOTE]

Oooo, hold the pin until all else fails.
A piece of duct tape rubbed in the dent and pulled quickly from both ends works great!

Thanks for the advice on the dust cap. I'd really like to avoid perforating it to remove that dent if I can help it, so I'll try with a vacuum and keep my fingers crossed. :yes:

At the same time, I'm taking a few moments to read into some of the other AK threads regarding the 5500X, and John L seemed to make a pretty convincing case for replacing the veneer. Truth be told about two minutes after I took those pictures I moved them into my room, and while I was setting one of them down my hand brushed against the bottom corner of one of the cabinets and I accidentally peeled up some of the veneer. :(

Also, where might I get technical specifications for this particular pair of speakers? I didn't get particularly far with a Google search.

Back
Top Bottom