Redboy's setup from the audio underground

I like it too, most days.

This hobby is much more about the journey than the destination for me. I guess "good sound" is the ultimate goal, but there are so many paths to good sound that I'd rather not limit myself to the shortest, straightest road.

My system's main strengths are probably resolution and imaging. I love a good stereo effect, and when things re right, they're really right. As revealing as it is though, when something's out of whack, you can't ignore it.

I don't have big thumping bass, and though my speakers might be capable of some really high volume output, I don't listen that way.

A real nice view and a great achievement.

I had a feeling that you would have a pretty nice setup and boy was I right. I tend towards the same philosophy as you do as regards the diy aspects but my dreams overstretch my diy talents. Still, I plod on.

Love those Fraziers Nate just Gorgeous!! Looks really comfy and cozy too. And I`ll just bet it sounds Wonderful as well. Very Nice!

Awesome Nate!!

Most of the time, I focus on listening to music, not looking at gear, but that eye candy of your's is impossible to ignore.

Looks like you've got it nailed on both. :thmbsp:

WOW is all I can say! That is some nice work.. and that turntable.. my goodness that is one serious piece..

Who did the work and would they consider building another one??

Really nice to see there shots, Nate. I've always wondered what your efforts look like in the context of your system and room. All I can say is "gorgeous!"

:thmbsp:

Love those Fraziers Nate just Gorgeous!! Looks really comfy and cozy too. And I`ll just bet it sounds Wonderful as well. Very Nice!
Gary's work on those Fraziers is top notch! I've been the fortunate beneficiary of some great work on his part in other projects, too!

Damn that looks nice, Nate. Very inviting and a great place to relax and shut the crazy world out.
Not often enough, unfortunately...

Awesome Nate!!

Most of the time, I focus on listening to music, not looking at gear, but that eye candy of your's is impossible to ignore.

Looks like you've got it nailed on both. :thmbsp:
:) I get more hung up on aesthetics than I care to admit. It's nice to get good sound and purty stuff at the same time, sometimes.

WOW is all I can say! That is some nice work.. and that turntable.. my goodness that is one serious piece..

Who did the work and would they consider building another one??
The guy who did the work (rfgumby) actually built two of them at the time, and is on to bigger and better things now...

Really nice to see there shots, Nate. I've always wondered what your efforts look like in the context of your system and room. All I can say is "gorgeous!"

:thmbsp:
Thanks, Brett. I'm thinkin' on a solution for the mess-o'-wires that it is right now.

Super Cool !!!

Nice system ! I have a pair of Edgarhorn System 100's. Around 104db sen.. Man I could use a pair of monos like what you have. Beautiful just beautiful Redboy. My compliments to you.

Nice system ! I have a pair of Edgarhorn System 100's. Around 104db sen.. Man I could use a pair of monos like what you have. Beautiful just beautiful Redboy. My compliments to you.
Thanks much! With speakers like you've got, I'd be looking at SET 45 or 2A3 amps. That's what's coming next here.

Must be a truly good feeling knowing how much of the system was your own work.
Yeah, the "I made this" satisfaction is a big part of it.

Oh, man! Hope you have enough free time to enjoy all that.
Never enough. But the time I get is nice.

Set

I know what you mean. I am checking some out. Which ones are you looking at ?

I'm trying to figure out how to summarize this stuff.

My system changes a lot because I'm ever distracted by shiny pennies, but some underlying themes exist:
  • I like to DIY
  • I like old, heavy turntables
  • I like passive preamplifiers
  • I like single-ended tubes (or valves)
  • I like efficient speakers
  • I like the whole KISS concept

My system's just a little bit off the beaten path. Flea-powered tube amplifiers producing just a few good watts, esoteric DIY stuff, idler turntables, giant horns. I listen at low volume, prefer jazz at this point.

The stuff (click through for threads with more pictures and information):

Vinyl stuff
Skele-208:

Phonostage is a Herron VTPH-1MC or a Bottlehead Seduction with step up transformers.

Preamp is a passive job, built around S&B TX-102 transformers:

Amplifiers are single ended EL84 monoblocks that I built.

Speakers are based on Edgarhorns.

Here are the best pictures of how it currently all comes together. When I brought the speakers in, I had to rearrange the room kind of radically and everything got stacked on whatever was convenient. I still haven't found a good solution for the stack - I'm still looking for a good "stand" or rack for it all. Oh, and the giant rack thingy that you see on the right side of the second picture is no longer there. :)

0722001.jpg

0721007.jpg

Holy Moly, your system has grown since I was last here!! Your DIY projects are beautiful, too. Amazing, Nate. And that turntable is fabulous! Keeps you out of trouble, I'll wager. What ever happened to the closet system? :D

Back
Top Bottom