Thorens TP16 Tonearm, TP60 Headshell mod to accomodate various cart mounts.

the_nines

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just thought I would share with everyone a simple modification which I did to the TP60 head-shell of the TP16 Thorens tonearm.

I can now mount any cart, whether the cart screws from the bottom or from the top. The original TP60 configuration only allowed screwing the cart from the bottom, and with specific types of bolts, metric configuration. So cart mounting was limited.

This is what I did:

Gently push up against the metal from the underside. I used a small screwdriver without placing too much force. If you use a sharp object and apply too much force you may make an indentation on the metal which will show from the top-side. Something small (and blunt) should do the trick. Even a Q-tip:

IMG_2210_zpsrxqxrmit.JPG

Top metal plate is now off:
IMG_2212_zpsefy2eysc.JPG

Gently pry-off this plastic clip by applying leverage on its extreme left and right:
IMG_2213_zpsfytd0yzn.JPG

Once removed you should have this:
IMG_2215_zpsrgh11xi3.JPG

You can now remove this piece:
IMG_2217_zpsybojtp6w.JPG

After removing the small piece where the bolts were originally meant to be inserted, you should have this:
IMG_2218_zpsethezi88.JPG

You can now mount a cart whereby the cart's mounting configuration requires the bolts to be secured like this:
IMG_2219_zpszhifyaqq.JPG

Simply place the metal cover back where it was:
IMG_2221_zps044idtns.JPG

Keep the two pieces removed (pic 4 & 5, the black plastic thingy and the grey piece with the two holes). They can be put back the way they were and the head-shell returns to its original state.

Thought I would share.

Cheers all!

Last edited:
Somebody recommended this to me years ago when I complained that I couldn't mount my Grado Platinum on my TD125 MKII, but I don't think there were pictures with that. These pictures are great (as is the suggestion itself), thanks a lot for taking the time to put it all together neatly for us. Couldn't be any clearer than this.

EDIT: What brand/type of headshell wires do you use? Those looks nice and hefty.

Very cool! I've never been a fan of the stock cartridge mounting with these headshells.

Doing this would make it easier to mount my Stanton cartridges. I could use the plastic inserts in the ears instead of having the stock dinky screws that barely hold the cart in place.

Or you can just purchase metric "M2" screws in various lengths for five or ten bucks and use the appropriate length for your cartridge - some hardware stores even stock these, though they are easier to find online. Was my approach.

Or you can just purchase metric "M2" screws in various lengths for five or ten bucks and use the appropriate length for your cartridge - some hardware stores even stock these, though they are easier to find online. Was my approach.

I think some carts are designed to be mounted from the top only.

No?

Attachments

• Clearaudio%20Artist%20v2%20Ebony%20Zoom.jpg
    Clearaudio%20Artist%20v2%20Ebony%20Zoom.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 69
Somebody recommended this to me years ago when I complained that I couldn't mount my Grado Platinum on my TD125 MKII, but I don't think there were pictures with that. These pictures are great (as is the suggestion itself), thanks a lot for taking the time to put it all together neatly for us. Couldn't be any clearer than this.

EDIT: What brand/type of headshell wires do you use? Those looks nice and hefty.

Thanks.

The headshell wires are from a Technics headshell I had bought years ago.

This was common back when the TD150 came out with the headshell design. I agree that just getting the right screws is easy. Doing the mod and using nylon screws would reduce possible inertia issues, though.

Bump! Thorens TP60 headshell mod for top mounting carts.

It's been a while.

For all Thorens turntable owners with TP60 headshell.

Bump ......

You may find this simple mod helpful. You are no longer limited to metric bolts, and are no longer limited to carts meant to be screwed from the bottom.

:yes:

Simply fantastic MOD, and you have just helped me save 100 bucks buying a new headshell. the spacer with the thread inside the headshell is gone, the thread no longer exists so I started looking for a new headshell instead I will do just this!
Perfect!
Thanks

Bumping this. It appears this would also work with a TD 150 headshell? I have the mkii with the "Kugel" arm, or will soon (being shipped right now). I own a very lightly used Ortofon 2M Blue I would love to use with this table and arm.

Couple questions: Is the metal plate glued on or press fit? How easy is it to get it back in place once the cartridge is mounted? Is the mod as a whole reversible?

Bumping this. It appears this would also work with a TD 150 headshell? I have the mkii with the "Kugel" arm, or will soon (being shipped right now). I own a very lightly used Ortofon 2M Blue I would love to use with this table and arm.

Couple questions: Is the metal plate glued on or press fit? How easy is it to get it back in place once the cartridge is mounted? Is the mod as a whole reversible?

It is glued on. Easy to put back on. Yes it is reversible.

George.

Better mod! Get an arm board or make one. Mount a SME/JIS compatible tonearm which is Thorens friendly. Enjoy headshell choice. And does not hack up original headshells.

'Thought I'd pull up this old thread to give a big thanks to AK member "the nines" for doing such a nice job posting this conversion.

After dealing with a partially stripped insert in the headshell for years, I finally threw in the towel today in trying to mount an AT-7V cart, as none of my screws/spacers would give me the correct length for the screw to get a good grip (w/o going too far).

Back
Top Bottom