Bell and Howell 2123 XL Super 8 Movie Camera
14642308789_4f73f1d27f_z.jpg

Black Eyed Susan
14672186086_2e46ae634f_z.jpg

Wildflower
14447087491_dfa3755dc6_z.jpg

Produce Seller at the Flea Market
14701207191_1d95aff131_z.jpg

Just back from the Oregon coast ... thought it would be a typical beach vacation, so I just grabbed the Panasonic G2 on the way out the door. Sure glad I did, 20 years out here and many trips to the sea but I have only seen distant glimpses of whales. Last week the whales seemed to be everywhere and our condo was right on the ocean. Very cool setup as we were on a rocky cliff overlooking a popular feeding place for the grey whales.

They were close enough to hear them breathing ... it was very cool to say the least. I woke up early on the second day and had coffee on the deck while everyone else slept. A huge grey whale surfaced maybe 30 feet from me, I just stood there and watched it. She took a huge breath, flipped her tail and disappeared. As always the camera was nowhere in site. I did snap a few keepers, I'd like top share.

Attachments

• P1110413.jpg
    P1110413.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1110147.jpg
    P1110147.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 17
  • P1110444.jpg
    P1110444.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P1110441.jpg
    P1110441.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 14
Just got back from Emerald Isle in NC. Got to play with some of the manual settings on the camera for evening shots.

This is the moonrise as seen from the deck of the rental house. I forgot my tripod but the handrail on the deck was exceptionally stable and level. :thmbsp:

Fuji X100 F:2 ISO:200 30 seconds exposure.

It isn't true HDR in the sense that multiple exposures were taken. It's pseudo HDR post processing.

The other two in the series are:

14172228349_8d40b09828_b.jpg

14250867317_2b8dde5da4_b.jpg

And here's the original of the above shot, straight out of camera. Kind of uninteresting without the post process.

14978023671_e4df0d1f60_b.jpg

Is this HDR or just creative post processing? It is an interesting shot for sure.

I really like the last one in the series of edited pics. I think I would have cloned out the leaf/plant in the bottom right third, but it is an interesting effect. I have done similar things in DxO, what software are you using?

I thought about it the leaf branch but decided to leave it as it breaks up the continuity of the water.

Anyways, as for software I have both Aperture and Lightroom but prefer using Aperture. I also use onOne Perfect Photo, which plays nice with both Aperture and Lightroom. I also use Photoshop occasionally but have been weening myself off of it as the pricing is exorbitant and I'm not a fan of the whole leasing scheme they have going on. Lightroom doesn't do much for me in terms of user interface and workflow.

Now that Aperture (as well as iPhoto) has been officially discontinued, I'm waiting to see what Apple brings to the table with it's new Photos app. Whether it's more of a direct replacement for the pro Aperture app or consumer iPhoto app. Along with that, I'll be looking more closely at Phase One Capture One Pro as well as DxO Optics Pro.

I really like the last one in the series of edited pics. I think I would have cloned out the leaf/plant in the bottom right third, but it is an interesting effect. I have done similar things in DxO, what software are you using?

I have all the suites out there, and their strengths vary from software package to the next. I personally like the workflow in Lightroom (never warmed up to Aperture) but I simply love the output from C1 and DxO. DxO is my go-to if I am defishing a lens or have to do any heavy lens correction. C1 default colors are fantastic. I still use Photoshop for tough images where the sharpening tools in LR fall short.

I thought about it the leaf branch but decided to leave it as it breaks up the continuity of the water.

Anyways, as for software I have both Aperture and Lightroom but prefer using Aperture. I also use onOne Perfect Photo, which plays nice with both Aperture and Lightroom. I also use Photoshop occasionally but have been weening myself off of it as the pricing is exorbitant and I'm not a fan of the whole leasing scheme they have going on. Lightroom doesn't do much for me in terms of user interface and workflow.

Now that Aperture (as well as iPhoto) has been officially discontinued, I'm waiting to see what Apple brings to the table with it's new Photos app. Whether it's more of a direct replacement for the pro Aperture app or consumer iPhoto app. Along with that, I'll be looking more closely at Phase One Capture One Pro as well as DxO Optics Pro.

I hope they keep the new Photo with the pro features of Aperture. I usually just stay with Aperture, more as a time consuming issue. I'm going to look at the two you mention here. I'm not a fan of leasing either.

I hope so too but my gut feeling tells me that it's going to end up being a spruced up iPhoto which is why I've been seriously looking into the other two apps as a replacement.

I hope they keep the new Photo with the pro features of Aperture. I usually just stay with Aperture, more as a time consuming issue. I'm going to look at the two you mention here. I'm not a fan of leasing either.

Cantigny in Wheaton IL

I was at Cantigny in Wheaton, IL yesterday. In rushing out I came to find I only packed my 60mm macro (120mm full frame equiv). It was rainy and overcast, so actually good for macro photography. Cantigny is a nice place to visit if you are ver in the Chicagoland area.

Just a couple here.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020167 - Version 2.jpg
    P1020167 - Version 2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 74
  • P1020175 - Version 2.jpg
    P1020175 - Version 2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom