Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Why would water help?
I'm really hesitant to do this to a copy of DSOTM. Even though its perfectly safe.
What are you guys using to spread it?

I've done it to a copy of DSOTM. I have a couple of plastic spreaders used for spreading wood putty and similar substances that I use for glue spreading. Hopefully I won't need them much longer, my RCM is almost done. :D

hrgiger , Great sound clip. very impressive result's While everybody else said their method was better your sound clip's proved that Eileen's work's well.
Good Job !!!!!!!

. . . I've done this on 75+ LPs and it hasn't damaged one of them. Don't sweat it.

I guess a lot of guys are still sweating this. But the true convincer is taking a thrift store find that you are afraid of playing because it will damage your stylus and cleaning it.

The first experiment will make the difference. And it looks easier to remove than PVA.

So is Elmer's Wood Glue the top recommendation at the moment?
I have a couple of oldies that I would be okay trying this out on. The pictures a few pages back of the red label mono dirty record look amazing.

I use the GEM Dandy at the moment and I'm sure that will continue to be a good pre-method to removing gunk as it has been nothing short of amazing so far, but if this method decreases surface noise even more then I'm game.

I use Elmer's wood glue, it works fine. Aileene's tacky glue is supposed to be really good, but I haven't found it yet to try.

Titebond II is what I normally use.

Aileene's is available in the craft section at Wal-Mart.

I've done it to a copy of DSOTM. I have a couple of plastic spreaders used for spreading wood putty and similar substances that I use for glue spreading. Hopefully I won't need them much longer, my RCM is almost done. :D

Keep 'em around, even though I have a VPI RCM I still resort to glue for LPs that are still noisy after RCM. It can incrementally help over a RCM cleaning, depending on cause of noise.

Rob

Keep 'em around, even though I have a VPI RCM I still resort to glue for LPs that are still noisy after RCM. It can incrementally help over a RCM cleaning, depending on cause of noise.

Rob

Right.

Sometimes you need both.

Titebond II is what I normally use.

Aileene's is available in the craft section at Wal-Mart.

Yeah, I've slipped over to using Titebond II as my "go to" choice. It does peel off easier than original formula Titebond - so this for me is an ease of use issue. A few pages back an AKer discovered that Titebond "Extend" actually self-peels as it dries - a real boon to the process. Haven't been able to find it locally in the North, but it's readily available in Southern states where longer set-up time for actual wood glueing projects is desired. I've been a slacker in not ordering a pint to try with an A/B (side 1 / side 2) test to confirm that it cleans just as well as Titebond I/II.
- Mario

Last edited:
So a "crafts" store is going to be a better place to look than a hardware store right?

The hardware store sells "LePage Plastic Wood" and "LePage Carpenter's Glue" and I don't think I want to be the guinea pig here.

EDIT - looks like if I can't find any at a crafts store or Home Depot that I can just order it through Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias=tools&field-keywords=titebond+II
If you can see "PVA" or "Poly vinyl acetate" in the sticker with the composition or description, then you will be fine.

I have found that the "fast setting" carpenter's glue is somewhat better in taking off (creates a thicker film at the edges) seems finer when applying in the grooves, sets faster (as advertised) and seems to remove a bit more grit. This last part is highly subjective and difficult to prove as avery LP is a different one in terms of grit quality, quantity and ageing.

So a "crafts" store is going to be a better place to look than a hardware store right?

Yes, you can get Aleene's at a craft store or at any type of fabric store, and most likely at any big store that has departments like those (walmart, kmart, meijer's, hobby lobby, michael's, etc.)

At Joann Fabrics, a gallon for $21 plus shipping (you can get the same deal on Amazon): http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3268&PRODID=prd1784

25_p.jpg

Why you shouldn't sniff Aleene's tacky glue: http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/14820/a_review_of_aleenes_tacky_glue.html

Last edited:
ok I will play. I just glued up two "hard case" 45s. I had subjected both to my regular cleaning process, and wanted to see if this would take them a step further.

Sometimes it is hard for me to tell if the noise is from scuffs and scratches or groove gunk.

Both these 45s are from a big lot of soul and gospel that I bought in july, most of these have cleaned up reall well, but these two need an extra push. The Kansas City Melodyaires has so much surface noise that even by my standards it is hard to listen to. The Chuck Jackson starts out sounding great but gets worser and worser, making me think it has some deep funk gunk.

I will peel and play on sunday and let you all know what happens.

OK, I'm in.

Titebond II on a favorite Bill Evan's Fantasy release that looks great, but sounds like Rice Krispies. I live on the edge.

p81500013.jpg

Follow up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom