• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Im watching Dr. Strangelove

Donkey!

AK member
Banned
Holy ****, I have been told to see this movie many times, well so far 20 minutes in to it, it's funny as hell.

Im such a morbid nuclear freak I think I'll have to repeat it immediately.

Really, I had no idea it was a comedy of such proportions.

George C. Scott is great. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Mr. President!

--- We must not allow a mine shaft gap! <Stomping feet>


I see myself as the bomb riding pilot :banana:
 
"I... I don't know exactly how to put this, sir, but are you aware of what a serious breach of security that would be? I mean, he'll see everything, he'll... he'll see the Big Board!"
 
"I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed up a little bit -- 40 to 50 million tops!" -- George C. Scott commenting on how many American deaths with occur in a nuclear exchange (quoted from memory -- so don't hold me to the exact words -- just the insanely optimistic spirit)

kc8mob -- Another reason for the Golf Channel to go up in flames in my opinion!Buy this movie and play it over and over and for all your friends. We need it these days.
 
I loved the opening-shots of B-52s floating lazily in the stratosphere, & "Try a Little Tenderness"-a particularly schmaltzy version at that-playing softly in the background..James Earl Jones looks like he's about 15 years old...What a great movie...Kubrick was a genius...a bit uneven, perhaps, but about every Kubrick film I've seen SERIOUSLY phecks w/my head...
 
The opening sequence looks more to me like the tanker and the B-52 are having sex, as a matter of fact, Sandy :-) Especially given the background music.

A great, great movie: on my all-time favorites list (as are several other Kubrick movies).

"Peace is Our Profession"

You can read the screenplay at: http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0055.html

dr_strangelove_bombdrop.jpg
 
Last edited:
George C Scott, of course, was never noted for his comedic skills. The story goes that Kubrick encouraged him to play the general's part as over the top as he could -- and it shows, especially in the War Room scenes. I think my favorite is with Gen. Turgidson (don't you love the names?) describing a B-52 pilot's ability to fly on the deck:

Turgidson:

Well, I'm sorry. Ah... If the pilot's good, see. I mean, if he's really... sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [spreads his arms like wings., laughs] you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane, like a '52, vroom! There's jet exhaust, flyin' chickens in the barnyard!

Muffley:

Yeah, but has he got a chance?

Turgidson:

Has he got a chance? Hell Ye... ye... [covers mouth in solemn realization]
 
Last edited:
KeninDC said:
It gets better every time I view it. Sterling Hayden plays a great deranged General.
Mr. Hayden was blacklisted in the early 50s during the great commie scare and didn't work in film for many years. Fantastic performance in this flick.

Murray
 
One of my favorite films...

Maj. T.J. 'King' Kong: “Survival kit contents check… In them you’ll find: One 45 caliber automatic, two boxes ammunition, four days concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible, $100 in rubles, $100 in gold, nine packs of chewing gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair nylon stockings, shoot, a fellow could have a pretty good time in Vegas with all that stuff.”

Doc
 
None of us have mentioned Peter Sellers masterful acting in this movie. The scenes between him as Mandrake and Sterling Hayden are priceless. As Mandrake comes to the realization that Ripper is a total loon -- the comedic desparation Sellers is able to put across is fantastic. Of course, his depiction of Strangelove is iconic.

hardy: Your mentioning of Scott with his arms spread out coming in like a bomber is another of my favorite scenes with him. Plus when his girlfriend calls him in the War Room, "I told you never to call me here!" he whispers in the phone and then has to sweet talk her as in the background all are discussing the end of civilization cracks me up every time.
 
..Plus the way he looks like a petulant little boy when he hangs up the phone w/her, wildly chewing his gum...
 
Back
Top Bottom